Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Lapband Horror Story

''Third major problem: (was not told this ahead of time either) weight gain is guaranteed if you DRINK liquids with your meals, had I been told this I would have never gotten it because I know I drink with nearly every bite I eat. I knew there would be diet changes, etc, but not this! ''

In my opinion thats just not normal whether u are banded or not !

I hate to say it, but when I came back to this forumn after several years, at first I was kind of attacked. Some of the "new" bandsters couldn't understand how or why I could have "failed" my band by gaining weight. I've heard "it can't fail", "I didn't want it as much as they do", why would anyone use the term "starting over", told how they have experienced losses in their lives and that didn't cause them to turn to food or gain weight. That was just the tip of the iceberg! I knew my responsibility, I was just looking for support, maybe some help or solutions for some problems I have no control over. I wasn't pissed at the band because i can't get fills, I didn't come on and start crying the band ruined my life and no one should get it because of the complications I have experienced. However, you would have never guessed that by the way I was treated by some. I hope if this person truly wants help or answers they do as I did....Listen to the remarks that help, and throw in the trash the opinions of those that have no intentions but harm. I have learned over the years that those who think they sit above us all find out eventually there is no where for them to go but down! I hope if this ever happens to them, we don't forget how it feels, and we will be there for them to help them up. There are good people here that are helpful and supportive and I appreciate and respect their opinions. This is why I choose to make this site a daily visit. It has helped me and supported me to get rid of 11 pounds so far this month! God Bless those of you for your help!!

Just wondering... Does anyone else find it strange that the OP only has 3 post out of all 58 post???

Just saying...

I think she was scared away...

I am extremely pleased with my decision to get the Band. Again, we have to work the band, the band doesn't work us, it's only a tool just like a pencil if we don't pick it up to write, it's not going to write on it's own. WE only get out of it what we put into it.

I must say after reading this it has made me concerned about my vagus nerve! How do I get mine checked? I'm concerned now. Afib is no koke

I must say after reading this it has made me concerned about my vagus nerve! How do I get mine checked? I'm concerned now. Afib is no koke

If you're not having symptoms, then you don't need to get it checked.

You seem really ignorant. Do yourself a favor and do more research. Either that or stop trolling......

My thoughts exactly. OP needs to learn to read and listen. The first thing they told me: DO NOT DRINK WITH MEALS!! I still have to sometimes and guess what OP? I'm still losing weight, thanks!! Your post should be deleted for it being purposefully misinformative.

2nd, you must be trolling cause NO dr or INS would've cleared a person who couldn't or wouldn't follow simple instructions.

Hello. I so sorry for what you are going through. I thought I'd share a bit of my story with you. I have been banded for five years and miserable for four, until now. I had a surgeon and doctors office that really did not care how I was doing and was so far away that I received almost no post op support. I threw up several times a day almost from the beginning. I told my doctor but he continued to put more Fluid in my band each visit. Finally, I insisted upon a barium swallow and he could see that I was telling the truth but said it had nothing to do with the band. I was so frustrated that I never went back and just suffered through each day for years. I also had the severe pain and ended up in the emergency room where I met my new doctor who agreed to take me on. Today my life is amazing with my band still in place. The new doctor sent me to a gastro who scoped me and immediately began medicating me for severe reflux, gastritis, and esophagitis. Once we got that partially under control, my new doc removed all fluid from my band to allow the tissue to heal and now all reflux is gone and I actually still have some restriction. I was noncompliant before because I was so restricted in what I could eat because my band was too tight for me. I drank lots of calories and ate lots of easy to digest junk food. I have to take responsibly for that. I am also responsible for not finding another doctor sooner, not finding a support group, and not joining a group like this sooner. I won't argue the statistics with you but I will say this: if 50 or sixty percent of people succeed with band I'm going to be one of them! It sounds like you have had at least one bad doc and I hope you find a better one. There is hope but I know that defeated feeling. I was all geared up for a gp revision. When my current doc said he could fix things with my band I almost cried because I didn't want it fixed! I wanted it out! But lo and behold he is fixing it and I feel amazing! I don't have to worry about Vitamin deficiency, malnutrition etc. But I was vitamin deficient and malnourished. My new doc treated me for that as well. I'm going to keep getting my B12 did because I love the way they make me feel. I'm starting over,fifty pounds lighter, and ready to be a success story. I really hope that you are able to get things figured out.

Troll? Kinda rude . I have had many complications with my band a well. So she is only sharing her story and I have done research as well now regretting getting it . Wishing I just had will power in the Begining. But I am thankful that I got it with the chance to know what it is like I buy nice clothes anywhere. But I know have to have it removed. Due to a slip at 8 mths pregnant ! I am glad that many people are successful with it . But would recommend a sleeve before a band . Due to the fact that I have not had a healthy experience with the band .