Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Infection with my port..

Hi Everyone,

I've got an infection with my port. I was wondering who else has had one and what happened?

I had one in my port incision about 3 weeks after surgery. Antibiotics (keflex) took care of it. Surgeon said it was superficial in the indecision and did not actually get to the port itself. I'm now 2 months later and that end of the incision is a more raised darker scar but the infection is gone, dr said if it was went deeper we would have had to remove to port.

I had a absess but got it lanced and put on meds for 2 week and everything is good a well now. I have diebets and doctor said that often happens with that. As I loss weight and the stomach hangs I get little one where the skin touches I spray deorant there and that stop it.

Not uncommon, but it seems to heal well with antibiotics. You will do fine. Just follow docs orders.

Thanks for your response everyone..

My tummy has been very tender. When I had my first fill last wednesday I mentioned it. By morning on the Thursday my tummy was a little swollen and by Thursday afternoon it was very swollen and by Friday I was in hospital. I have a pretty big infection where my port is. I go into have surgery 2morrow morning where they will add a little bit of Water to my band and take out the port. They will leave it out for a few months to let my tummy settle then I will have to have surgery again for them to put it back in. My tummy was/is very red, I have a lot of infection coming out the scare and my tummy is Swollen like I'm pregnant. Well my tummy has gone down a little now. I have been on normal antibiotics, really strong antibiotics and antibiotics in a drip. I guess I'm meant to take the long way on this journey. Not much is working. Although I think I'm still losing weight.

I guess I'm just one of the unlucky ones!! My fingers are crossed everything goes well 2morrow. I'm still pretty positive about it all at the moment.

Keep that positive attitude and you will be good!

I started getting some irritation in my port incision around five weeks after my surgery. It seemed to clear up after a couple of days but then a week later it started again. They started my on antibiotics last Monday and it is looking better. I have an appointment this week with my surgeon. It is supposed to be for my first fill. Hopefully this is clearing up....if not, I will do whatever i have to do. I have worked to hard and will not give up over a setback like this!

Oh my goodness...I'm so sorry you have to deal with all of this. I admire your positive attitude. So, they will take out the port but leave the band in? Good luck tomorrow.

Oh my goodness...I'm so sorry you have to deal with all of this. I admire your positive attitude. So' date=' they will take out the port but leave the band in? Good luck tomorrow.[/quote']

Thanks for your comments. I'm doing well now.. I'm out of hospital and my wound is healing well.. Yes they took out my port and have left the band in... The band has Water in it. I think he added .1 ml b4 he took the port out. So i think in total i have 4. 2 mil. Or something. Lol. Not 100% sure. But they have no way of adding Water now until I have surgery again to put the port back in. I saw my surgeon today and he doesn't want to operate until after 3 months he wants my body to heal... So I just have to wait until then.. In the mean time I do have to be a little more disciplined with myself...

I started getting some irritation in my port incision around five weeks after my surgery. It seemed to clear up after a couple of days but then a week later it started again. They started my on antibiotics last Monday and it is looking better. I have an appointment this week with my surgeon. It is supposed to be for my first fill. Hopefully this is clearing up....if not' date=' I will do whatever i have to do. I have worked to hard and will not give up over a setback like this![/quote']

Hi, i hope for you that nothing came of your irritation around your port.

hope your appt went well with your surgeon! And that your fill went well too.. I totally agree with you about I'll do what ever it takes. My mother inlaw said today when I told her that I have to have surgery again in 3 months to put the port back in. Is it worth it?? My response was YES.. I've come this far.. This is what I want. I think her response was something like well I don't think it is but oh well if you think it is.. You can die messing around with surgery... LOL what the?? Omg! Was she trying to make me feel guilty? But Water off a ducks back now. Lol. Hope your doing ok now.

You did the right thing by contacting your doctor. I had one of my incisions turn red on me and I took a picture and send it to the office by cell. They analyzed it and told me to keep it clean with peroxide and a loose bandage for a few days. The incision cleared up and no other issues. The incision was made to assit the doctor in a hiatal hernia repair at same time of the lapband.

Best wishes

My port is infected as well. Noticed my port area was red and swollen, doc prescribed antibiotics, but they did not help. It got so bad I now have a open wound over my port area, small about the size of a q-tip but its deep and oozy. I go next week to have an endoscopy to check for erosion, they they are going to take out the infected port. Doc said if there is Fluid around the band that might have to come out as well. :( They had to remove all the Fluid from my band so now all my restriction is GONE. I'm stressed and I know I'm eating too much. I've lost 80lbs since July of last year and do not want to gain back weight. Sniff. :(

It took me almost 5 years to finally get the band done now this stupid infection is really throwing a wrench in the whole program. I just hope I have the will power to get thru this.

I have a question do they no what the infection came from

My port is infected as well. Noticed my port area was red and swollen' date=' doc prescribed antibiotics, but they did not help. It got so bad I now have a open wound over my port area, small about the size of a q-tip but its deep and oozy. I go next week to have an endoscopy to check for erosion, they they are going to take out the infected port. Doc said if there is Fluid around the band that might have to come out as well. :( They had to remove all the Fluid from my band so now all my restriction is GONE. I'm stressed and I know I'm eating too much. I've lost 80lbs since July of last year and do not want to gain back weight. Sniff. :(

It took me almost 5 years to finally get the band done now this stupid infection is really throwing a wrench in the whole program. I just hope I have the will power to get thru this.[/quote']

Hey! I'm sorry to here about your infection... It sounds just like mine. Although I had my surgery just b4 Christmas. I still had a little hole the size of a q-tip also. Which was very much oozing too. My tummy swelled up like I was pregnant.

I had surgery about 2weeks ago.. And I'm doing well. My tummy is a little tender when I get elbowed in the tummy from one of my kids.

What my surgeon did was - He made my hole a little bigger and filled up my hole with and anterceptic wash and tried to flush and squeeze ( sorry sound so gross... but I think in has worked. It did hurt like hell.. ) all the infection out a few times and had me on very strong antibiotics. The redness and swelling started to go down. He then decided too take my port out and add Water to my band so that I could keep my journey going. He did say that the infection only involved my port.. So I didn't have any issues with my band. Only down side is that he can't add or take any Water out until I have surgery in 3 months again to put my port back in. So far I'm still loosing and doing ok. He also left my wound open ( definitily didnt look good ) so that my wound would close from the bottom up not the top to the bottom. If I had any more infection it would rise to the top not get pushed down. But I had a lot of antibiotics and apparently very strong ones.. In theatre and through IV once I was out.

Please stay positive... Well done on your 80lbs weight loss. I think i'm down 18.7lbs in about 5 weeks. So far my out come has been ok with this infection. It's almost closed. Then I just wait and try again with the port in 3 months. Please keep me posted on how your going. I hope that my info helps you.. Keep your chin up and try and smile.