Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

pre op diet how hard was it?

I am setting here waiting on the approval from my insurance and I am wondering (stressing) on the pre op diet? I am worried I am going to fail! I understand that the hole purpose of the pre op diet is to shrink the liver but I am scared I am going to cheat having to do liquids only!

If you seriously do not believe you can do the pre-op diet, then the post-op diet is not looking good. Is it fun, not really. Is it important, definitely. Your commitment level has to be 100%. Your WANT level has to be 200%. If you think this is not going to be possible for you, then walk away. Most Lap Band failures are caused by lack of patient compliance. Best wishes on your decision. Discuss your fears openly in the psychology consult.

It's normal to feel that way..the closer I got to my start the more nervous I was and the more I started to doubt myself..I had a one week pre-op diet and lost 10 lbs. I was banded 10/11/12 and have since lost 38 more!! It's possible if you believe it and want it!! You can do it..don't give up!!

I'm doing the pre-opt diet now and I'm on day two. I'm not going to lie it's hard but I'm looking at the reward at the end.

I am setting here waiting on the approval from my insurance and I am wondering (stressing) on the pre op diet? I am worried I am going to fail! I understand that the hole purpose of the pre op diet is to shrink the liver but I am scared I am going to cheat having to do liquids only!

Hi Erin, its the fear of the unknown that concerns you. it would be just to say the same as 'I don't know if having weight loss surgery will work". We fear because of all the attempts we have made in the past to try and lose weight in the first place, and failed.

Moving forward, you must think positive! Like, I CAN DO THIS! I HAVE TO DO THIS! I WANT TO DO THIS! I NEED TO DO THIS!

Being on the pre-op diet is not the end of the world, heck I was afraid I wasn't going to survive either, but guess what I did! I did because I had the fear of the unknown too!

You can do this! Stay strong, think positive, and most importantly YOU HAVE TO WANT IT!

(hugs)

I too am on the pre-op diet. I am lucky and it is not a complete liquid diet. It is hard, but thinking about the reward of having my body back is so great I can not wait. IT is all gonna be worth it. :D

Mine was 2 weeks of liquids and it's hard... But nothing worth having isn't. If you think you will cheat you may want to wait until you are more committed to the journey. I would hate for you to be disappointed the dr won't do the surgery if your liver isn't upon good shape. And don't forget... Following your operation you will be on another couple of weeks of liquid depending on your dr.... So it's really important to be committed.

Hey Erin! Today is day 7 of pre op diet for me. I had a lot of those same feelings before actually starting! Has it been hard? Not gonna lie--- it definitely has! But I've been stronger than I thought I could be! Have I been totally perfect on it? Not gonna lie about that either! I have put a couple of cheezits in my mouth and let them melt. Sunday night, I still had enough calories and fat grams to eat a baked potato with butter and sour cream from Wendy's with my family (nurse at my surgeon's office said that I needed to mostly be concerned about the fat). Have I been really hungry at times? Oh yeah!!!! But I'm doing it for the most part! I've lost about 6 pounds so far. I just keep thinking about the end result-- God willing, this time next week I will be on the "other" side--- banded and on my way to a healthier me! I just think that if I've gotten to this point(being banded), I need to do EVERYTHING possible to make it work. You can do it, too! Hang in there!

I have struggled every day. I am about to start my 5th day tomorrow and today was the first time I actually sat with people while they ate fast food. Made me mouth Water but I continued to sip on my Protein Shake like a good girl :)

I am down 13lbs in 4 days. Pretty happy that I am sticking to it.

today is day 9 for me...5 more to go. Some days are better than others, some moments are better than others. It's a struggle but I have no choice. If I don't do this surgery, I won't be able to walk soon because my arthritis is so bad. I am so looking forward to some real food in the future...even if it is pureed. So many people are sick with flu and colds that I'm holed up in my apartment and trying to stay away from everyone so I don't get sick too...not this close to the surgery anyway.

I am on day 8 of the pre-op. I also doubted myself but knew I needed to take this step for a better, healthier me. Just because you are doubting yourself doesn't mean you're not 100% committed. I'm 200% committed but I still have the "what if" thoughts. I stop & remind myself that I am ready for the challenge! We will all have our ups & downs but with each challenge a lesson can be learned:) Come on Jan 16th!!!!

I was told I had to do a 10 day per-op diet, which was basically 2 low fat yogurts and 3 pints of milk a day.

My problem was that on my third day in I had a 2 day job interview in Spain and the Spanish do business over a meal. So I had to go back to normal food but I was allowed 2 days off the pre diet by my dietician. I'm now 7 days back into the prediet - I had to go 2 Czech on business but I was able to stick to the diet. I had the milk and yogurt in my hotel room fridge!

I haven't found it too hard - I did get raging headaches but nothing paracetamol couldn't handle. The biggest challenge was when I was at home and my wife cooked sausages - the smell was torture! But I've developed willpower I didn't know existed.

If you really want the benefits of a lapband, then I don't think a prediet is such a big deal.

This is my last day of the pre-op diet and it's been hard! The first 2 days were the worst, but it was a constant battle for me. Being hungry all the time really does mess with your mind, but it is do-able. My surgery is in the morning and I'm scared and nervous at the same time.

This is my last day of the pre-op diet and it's been hard! The first 2 days were the worst, but it was a constant battle for me. Being hungry all the time really does mess with your mind, but it is do-able. My surgery is in the morning and I'm scared and nervous at the same time.

Good Luck tomorrow, hope all goes well :)