Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Im losing my hair

:D I know I have read threads on this before. But I just really need to talk. I have lost sooo much hair. Luckily I started out with a lot. But now it is becoming noticable. I cant beleive that I lost a good amount of weight and was finally feeling good about myself and now I have to worry about this. Its like a bad joke or something. I am watching my Protein and have been taking bioten but it has not made a difference. If anyone has any ideas I will try anything. I have even quit styling my hair so I dont have to watch it all fall out. It makes me depressed. Sorry to go on and on but nobody I can talk to understands. JJB

First of all, CONGRATS on all the weight loss...that's WONDERFUL!!!!!!!! :clap2:

There is a normal shedding of hair...but if it is going past that.....are you truly getting 50-60gms of Protein? Have you had your thyroid checked? Is there any family history of female baldness? You might want to talk with your surgeon if its becoming "alarming"....

Will be praying!! God Bless,

Melody

Banded 3/20/06 -29lbs

I too have lost a ton of hair. I spoke with my doctor on friday and he said that when the body goes through trama (like rapid weight loss) you will lose hair.

I asked if there was anything that could help, Protein, etc.... he said no. There is no medical evidence that anything will help. He said I could try stuff but he said it was a waste of money.

I said well then, when will the Hair loss stop? when I'm bald. He said when I stop losing weight the hair loss will stop.

I know this is true for alot of gastric bypass people (my friends) and it has grown back...so that gives me hope.

Hang in there and keep drinking / eating your protein...it can't hurt.

I began to notice hair loss about 4 months post-op, so you are right on schedule, as I understand this is the normal time frame.

I am pretty bummed out over this too. My surgeon said don't worry, it's all about the Protein and your hair will grow back. My PCP checked my thyroid (normal) and shrugged his shoulders. My dermatologist said he sees this a lot after WLS. He said give it a year...it may grow back, and it may not.

Pretty discouraging, I know. I hate to make up the bed every morning as there are always loose hairs on the pillow - MY hair.

Make sure you're getting in 60 grams of Protein a day, take a Multi-Vitamin, take a B-complex Vitamin, and an Iron supplement. Many people are iron deficient and don't know it because they have a normal hemaglobin and hematocrit (H & H). You need a blood test for iron (Fe), ferritin Ferr), and total iron binding capacity (TIBC) to diagnose an iron deficiency. I hope that helps a little.

My surgeon said it will stop around 8 months post-op. I began around 3-4 months post-op, with the shedding. At one point, I thought I might go bald! However, it has slowed over time.

I am at my 7 months mark, so I'll let you know if my shedding stops or resumes to my "normal" days! (I've always shedded some)

In the meantime, I am still working on my Protein, taking multi-Vitamins, and Biotin daily..

Shawn

I've started to lose my hair as well. But mine isn't from weight loss, obviously. It's one of the symptoms of Cushing's in my case, and it's hit me hard. I've always had just the most beautiful hair, thick and rich, but right now it's so thin that I look like I have hair plugs. I hate it, I hate it, I hate it.

Crystal that sucks !! Me too, my hair was nice and full but now, I can actually see a bald spot starting on the very tippy top of my head :D

My daughter scream when she gets in the bathtub MOM!!!!!!!!!! YOUR GOING BALD!!! (because she see's the hair i forgot to remove around the drain) sigh.

Hey guys-

Get some Shampoo, scalp therapy, conditioner with NIOXIN in it. It restimulates hair growth and is recommended for chemo patients.

Also, take flaxseed oil in any form you can tolerate and try not to overstyle, spray, curl, etc.

I lost a lot of hair as well and I went out and bought these really cute banana clips with fake hair attached that matched mine. Every day I would only curl my bangs and hide the rest of my hair inside the clip. It looked cute, took 5 minutes to do my hair and gave the rest of my head a rest. I still use them sometimes.

I was banded 3/20/06 and I'm having the same Hair loss problem. I had a major hair loss about a year after my son was born and the hair never filled back in completely. I actually get sunburn on my scalp sometimes! Now, at only 6 weeks post-op, I'm experiencing the same hair loss in the shower. I'm scared. I've also been really sloppy about the Protein Shakes. I only manage to drink it every other day or so. I guess I really need to work on that.

I know the hair thing is very scary. I went to Sally Beauty Supply store on Friday and bought a kit for thinning hair. It is called Nioxin and I have heard really great things about it. Im not sure if I believe all the stuff about protien and Vitamins. I am getting enough of both and it has not made any difference. I really think it is just from the weight loss its self. I can think of a few people I know that only eat one meal a day and live pretty unhealthy lives. But they have nice thick hair. I have lost about half of mine but I do think it is slowing down a little. I take a Biotin pill every day and now use this Shampoo treatment daily. I hope it works because I am going broke trying all this new stuff. Any ways try not to freak out to much Im sure it is temperary. Keep us informed on how your doing. I know that talking to people on this site has really been helping me not get so depressed. Good luck to you. Jennifer

I agree this Hair loss thing is very tramatic. My hair was always one thing I had going for me. Every morning in have a ton in the shower and then when I use the blow dryer, even more!!! I have been tearful several times before going to work about how awful my hair looked. My doctor has no suggestions. I am getting Protein, take Vitamins, etc., but it still keeps falling out. It sounds like some folks have had it grow back. That gives me something to look forward to.

Everyone, for what it is worth, I work with Hair loss and am losing hair myself. I have lost weight before and I lost much of my hair. That was back in the phen phen times. I have worked with many people who have lost hair after wieght loss. It soes usually grow back. Mine always has. I also lost alot after two babies in two years. LIke I had to wear a wig. From all the research I have done it is very common. I have yet to see anything make any difference. I sell the entire Nioxin line and use all of it. I even take the Vitamins and did for several months before I was banded. I was banded on 1/19/06. What nioxin will do is make for a

shorter fall cycle and a longer growth cycle. Hair grows on a cyclical schedule and it helps to increase the growth phase. We have people who

are on chemo use it but it does not prevent there hair loss. Does help to keep the scalp healthy as possible. I know it won't hurt and will help some. I do not use the treatments for this kind of hair loss because the research says it won't help. I worked for the Nioxin company for several years so I do know what I am saying. It is made for androgenetic hair loss. Chin up everyone. I have yet to see anyone who didn't get their hair back. I was in a panic too and still am to a degree. It is very disturbing to see hair all over the place and know it is from me and not

my dear balding husband. I know that if push comes to shove there are some really cute wigs out there now. I have one in reserve. Hair is a big problem when it is no longer nice when a person has had nice hair for most of their life. A crushing blow to ones self esteem. I had a client who was so sad when her thinned she would not leave her home. I fit her with a hair integration unit, ( that is a wig that you comb your own hair through) and it made her so happy to have a full head of hair she could style again.

Best of luck to all and keep on swallerin that Protein. Yum Yummmmm!!!

Darlene

Thanks fro the info. I was really upset this morning when I lost more then I had in the past month. I thought it was getting better but its not. Do you have any idea how long this might last? Hopefully not long. I am so tired of having hair every where. Even my 6 year old has complained about it all over the bathroom floor. Well im done complaining for the night. Thanks again.

I am not sure how long it will last. I don't remember how long it took. I do remember however it started with new peach fuzz aroung my hairline. Eventually I had to cut my hair pretty short to make it workable. Some was short and some was long. Not condusive to good styling. I would guess after a couple months it would be letting up/ Good luck! I hope I have some left by the time we leave on an extended vacation in July. We are crusin to Alaska. Hate to do it bald. Yuc!