Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

February 1st

Mandy - I could not agree more!! I have told my mom, my boyfriend (who does not have a weight issue so he is supportive but doesn't really understand) and one of my good friends who also struggles with weight.

I feel like people give their opinions about things and they don't know anything about weight struggles, the surgery, etc. Quite frankly, if people have weight issues and are against it, I find that they are so unhappy that they are jealous that we are taking control. As for people who have never had weight issues, they will never understand the struggles. I don't sit at home and eat bags of chips and boxes of doughnuts. There is an emotional connection with food that most overweight people have. I am telling people at work that I have a minor surgery and that is that. Once I lose weight, I will just say I have been eating right and working out - which HEY, is going to be the truth!

HI there, I'm getting banded Feb 4 :) I go see my surgeon on Monday :) Yippie!

Mandy - I could not agree more!! I have told my mom, my boyfriend (who does not have a weight issue so he is supportive but doesn't really understand) and one of my good friends who also struggles with weight.

I feel like people give their opinions about things and they don't know anything about weight struggles, the surgery, etc. Quite frankly, if people have weight issues and are against it, I find that they are so unhappy that they are jealous that we are taking control. As for people who have never had weight issues, they will never understand the struggles. I don't sit at home and eat bags of chips and boxes of doughnuts. There is an emotional connection with food that most overweight people have. I am telling people at work that I have a minor surgery and that is that. Once I lose weight, I will just say I have been eating right and working out - which HEY, is going to be the truth!

Yep, I agree with everything you said as well! We know why we're doing it, and all the hard work it will involve, and really, that's all that matters. It doesn't pay, in my opinion at least, to even try to explain to those that just don't get it.

HI there, I'm getting banded Feb 4 :) I go see my surgeon on Monday :) Yippie!

Woo hoo! Congrats!! Keep us updated on how your appointment goes Monday! Do you know what you have to do for your 2 week diet yet...or will you find all that out on Monday?

Woo hoo! Congrats!! Keep us updated on how your appointment goes Monday! Do you know what you have to do for your 2 week diet yet...or will you find all that out on Monday?

I find out Monday. And post it :)

Hi Everyone! I'm also getting banded 2/1! I'm excited, tough desicion but now I'm comfortable and ready. My surgeon is putting me on a 1 week liquid only before. I go this Friday for my pre op.

As for telling people I am the same way. I have made my desicion and do not want to hear peoples opinions. I have told my closest circle and agree people who have not struggled with their weight won't understand.

Hi Everyone! I'm also getting banded 2/1! I'm excited, tough desicion but now I'm comfortable and ready. My surgeon is putting me on a 1 week liquid only before. I go this Friday for my pre op.

As for telling people I am the same way. I have made my desicion and do not want to hear peoples opinions. I have told my closest circle and agree people who have not struggled with their weight won't understand.

Welcome! I'm excited too, but getting really nervous the close the day's getting. Not so much about having the band, I'm more worried/nervous about the surgery itself!!! I just want that part over with so I can get this new life started!

That's great you have to be on the liquid diet for only a week...not so bad at all!

I should be banded in February but won't know the exact date until February 5th when I meet with my surgeon. I'd love it to be February 14th, because this will be the greatest Valentine's gift I could ever receive.

I should be banded in February but won't know the exact date until February 5th when I meet with my surgeon. I'd love it to be February 14th' date=' because this will be the greatest Valentine's gift I could ever receive.[/quote']

I will see my surgeon on Feb. 4th

looking forward to hear when my band date is...

I should be banded in February but won't know the exact date until February 5th when I meet with my surgeon. I'd love it to be February 14th, because this will be the greatest Valentine's gift I could ever receive.

Keep us updated! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you for a february date!

I will see my surgeon on Feb. 4th

looking forward to hear when my band date is...

Good luck, and keep us updated!

I totally agree with you. While one part of me is all for total honesty about everything, another part of me doesn't want to hear things such as "Oh, I know someone who got a lapband. It didn't work for her" or "I know someone who died from weight loss surgery. Have you really researched this?"

We aren't idiots, and of course we have done hours of reading and researching. No one just wakes up one day and decides to have WLS. I think for all of us, this decision is extremely well-thought out.

I've told my most everybody but one person: my work colleague. I don't want her up in my business, she's a gossip and I sense she will be resentful of the time I take off to do my surgery.

Hey Kateeryn, I'm also having my surgery at Nyu, with Dr Kurian. I haven't got my date yet but it should be the last week in February. they wanted me to have a sleep apnea test done before, I get the results tomorrow , after that I will be getting a date!

btw, NYU' s 2 week pre op diet seems a lot stricter than most, 5-6 Protein Shakes a day plus 2 cups of steamed or raw vegetables. pretty tough but I will do anything to get this surgery and to make the surgeons job easier. my primary Dr is banded and said he didn't stick to the diet, he found if too hard!