Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What questions should I ask doctors when deciding on the "Right" Doc?

I go in tomorrow for a consultation with two differant doctors/offices. One is True Results of Dallas in the Richardson office, the other is Dr. Nicholson from the Nicholson clinic. I've heard wonderful things about each place/doctor, but feel like I need to visit both of them to get a feel for each doctor, staff, etc.

What questions should I be asking each doctor at this consultation?

I'm excited/nervous and just want to be sure I'm making the BEST selection.

I would ask what their policies are regarding visits, band adjustments, nutrition after the surgery......

It may be hard for you to understand right now, but I would ask how aggressive He/she is with their adjustments (fills)

It is very subjective what is acceptable.....but I know people from another, smaller group I belong to that had to change Dr's after their surgery because their policy was not to administer more than .25 cc per visit, per month. (12 visits per year) ...that's no more than 3 cc's per year....

The people I know were convinced the Dr. was more concerned about the # of visits to bill the Insurance Co. ($$) rather than any results.....

But like I said, that all may seem confusing to you, just starting out.....but I would ask about post surgery visits, etc....

I would ask what their policies are regarding visits, band adjustments, nutrition after the surgery......

It may be hard for you to understand right now, but I would ask how aggressive He/she is with their adjustments (fills)

It is very subjective what is acceptable.....but I know people from another, smaller group I belong to that had to change Dr's after their surgery because their policy was not to administer more than .25 cc per visit, per month. (12 visits per year) ...that's no more than 3 cc's per year....

The people I know were convinced the Dr. was more concerned about the # of visits to bill the Insurance Co. ($$) rather than any results.....

But like I said, that all may seem confusing to you, just starting out.....but I would ask about post surgery visits, etc....

Thanks so much for the suggestion, I will def ask it at both consultations. You brought up a great point and I really appreciate it! I will live 2 1/2 hours from either doctor, so I will want optimal results at as few appts as possible.....especially as gas prices continue to soar :)

THANK YOU!!

I would ask them about their follow up care.

-Will you be seeing them for fills or a PA?

-How accessible are they for after hours questions and emergencies?

-How often can you expect a fill if needed?

I would also simply be aware of their personality. I adore my surgeon, his bedside manner is great. When I go to see him, he's very warm and always extremely supportive and encouraging of me. For me, this is crucial. I wouldn't do well with a doctor who was "all business" and didn't make me feel like he cared about me as a person, not just a patient. So when you go meet with these doctors, be aware of how you feel in their presence and make sure your personalities are a good fit.

Best wishes!

I agree with the others. Make sure you find out how much fills will cost with insurance and without? I've seen so many people post here who lost their insurance and then had to go self pay but couldn't afford it? Some docs offer lifetime fills and others 6 months to a year. Some charge as much as $200(ridiculous) for a 5 minute visit.

tmf

Follow up is HUGE but I have come to feel that the pre surgery education is crucial.

I had to go to six classes. Meet with post op people also. The original group had about 35 people in it. When they lesrned what is involved, we dwindled down to five. Educate educate educate yourself.

Dr. Fox at True Results in Richardson is great!!!