Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Advertising on LBT

(Potentially the wrong forum, but I wanted visibility.)

--We have a practice here wherein the moderators don't edit posts.

--And we have a policy that no advertising is allowed.

--And we also have a member who has identified herself as NOT banded and has NOT mentioned being MO or attempting to acquire a band for herself, whose posts are almost exclusively for the purpose of recruiting patients for the doctor she works for.

Some members and moderators have posted that advertising is not welcome or allowed. But the original posts are still there. So the advertising is still in progress.

Just out of curiosity, how do y'all feel about moderators removing posts that contain advertising? I'm not talking about the my-doctor-is-cuter/smarter/richer than your doctor stuff that goes on. And I'm not talking about the participation (not that it looks like it will be happening much any more) of surgeons, such as Ortiz and Pleatman...but blatant advertising that is being posted by someone who visits here solely to drum up business.

And, let me be quite clear that NONE of the moderators have asked me to open this conversation and that they are all capable of asking their own questions, if they have any...

But...what do you think? Should posts which contain advertising and which are part of an ongoing recruitment process for a particular surgeon be edited or pulled, or should they be ignored or warned, but allowed to stand?

Sue, I know what poster you are referring to and I have posted on several threads that those actions are not allowed on this forum in any way shape or form.

We have had this issue in the past and it has been stopped rather fast. It will rear it's ugly head every now and then with new members showing up almost hourly now. So it will be an ongoing issue we moderators will have ot address. It is members like yourself bringing it to our attention and then we moderators can address the issue.

Although I have only been a member for a week, I now consider myself totally informed about having lap banding in Mexico (MD's, hotels, length of stay, medications, flights, costs, etc.) soley from the posts I have read. The first few days I thought this site was a forum expressly for people who were banded in Mexico or were seeking to be banded there.

Because people ARE looking for answers and places to have surgery, I would prefer advertisements be sent to the private message section or that people request that replies for this type of information be sent to them via a private message.

Just my humble opinion...

I understand that you are on top of it.

But, the fact that the advertising is still THERE makes me wonder if I'm the only one who thinks someone is "working the system."

I think a hard-line policy is good or otherwise the board would be too full of advertisers. I would however like to know if we are allowed to add a link at the bottom of our posts to the companies we work for just in case someone here would need those services (for example; I work for a Web design company and heck yes I would love to be able to let people on here know the info just in case they need a Website!) if we are allowed to do this, how do I do it so it appears on the bottom of my posts? I think I have seen some other people do this...Thanks!

Although I have only been a member for a week, I now consider myself totally informed about having lap banding in Mexico

But MY doctor IS the cutest...

Is a link to your website in your sig considered advertising? I have not done it, but I have a website that I sell my art on. I've thought of putting it in my sig, but would that be considered inappropiate advertising?

Many people here have links to personal sites in their signatures. We determined some time ago that it's permissible, even if the sites are commercial in nature, as long as it's kept to a single line, a reasonable size and so forth. What's NOT permissible is people starting threads solely for the purpose of promoting their products or sites.

To me there's a clear line between mentioning a product or service one likes--reviewing it, as it were--and promoting one's own or someone else's product or service. It's almost impossible to have an outright ban on all advertising, much as we might like that idea (I'm with you, Jack!), but we can certainly call a halt to obvious shilling or paid promotion.

I think there are too many people who are very easily intimidated, due to being scared or impatient, or just at a low point.

No advertising blatant should be allowed. (selling "avon" in your signature line not included)

I came looking for a doctor from people who have had personal experience using, not working for, that doctor.

I find using a support forum to "sell your practice" is unethical.

:) Oh, and Dr B. in NC is the cutest.. so there!

I like the idea of alerting a moderator (with the use of the red exclamation point in the upper right corner of each post) if anyone sees a post with that type of advertising, or anything otherwise questionable. I have seen Penni ask nicely for the poster to refrain, state the policy and the thread goes on to archive heaven. I don't have a problem at all with these threads being locked.

Keep in mind that anyone can look up a user and name and see all posts by this person. For me, post after post of this nature showing up on a user name is very telling and informative. I quick look and I "know" who I'm talking to. A comparison of posts by different users can also be informative. One could never (from my end) prove 2 user names are the same person, but it's a red flag at the very least, right? If a moderator were to edit in any way or delete such threads or posts, well, all that info wouldn't be there for me to research the questionable validity of a post or poster.

All that to say, I like how it's being handled now. I like the "hands off" policy of the board owner and moderators of this public forum. Internet info is risky until you get to know the folks on a board such as this, so we all know it's a free-for-all anyway. There was a time in my LBT life I was genuinely concerned about a certain "BigChixRule" poster who turned out to be...well, I don't know who? She apparently wasn't real. And I'm a bit less naive for it, humiliating as it was.

Keep it the same, is my vote.

NO advertising! In my experience on other boards, those who are recruiting for docs don't identify that they are doing it so it is pretty underhanded. I've seen this ruin other boards.

Funny you bring this up....I just noticed this last night. You could copy and paste most, if not all of the posts, made by this member. This person is definitely here to advertise and I am of the opinion that this should be stopped. I don't mind a couple times, but pull this user up and you can clearly see they are here to recruit. They seem to prey upon the posts of individuals that are vulnerable.

I'm not for censorship, but other members do have the right get legitimate feedback without having to hear a commercial. That is not the purpose of this site.

I didn't know/recognize the little red flag....great tool!!

The people who did my surgery took part in a "reality" TV show on British television called "Supersize Surgery" (about the lapband and the people that had it done) - the program turned into the most blatent advertising for that particular surgery I've ever seen.

I'm certainly not gonna recommend them, they don't need anymore publicity!