Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone else have problems with fills

I am currently filled with .8cc. I have tried to go to at least 1.5cc and have alot of problems. Is there anyone else out there who is having problems?

Pillow:help:

What kind of problems? Yes to problem fills...that's me....been filled to 1.8...and in spite of what doctor says - 1 to 2 weeks later....start pb'g everthing even tho I eat slow! and then bad PB's create acid reflux with creates more PB's and on we go (this includes soft and liquids) until have to have total unfill to get relief and let swelling subside.

2nd go round - he filled to 1.9???? don't know why after 1st problem -but these doctors think they know our bodies better than we do sometimes.....went along great! got on a plane for 3 hrs.....after that Soup and soft foods created PB's and 3 days later acid reflux was back....went on liquids for 3 days and no relief had to go back and get totally unfilled again!

So when I went in to get a fill after two weeks.......would he try 1.4, 1.5 NOOOOOOOOOOOO put in 1.0 sent me away and told me not to come back until I lost 20 lbs. right! can eat anything if I do it slowly....including bread etc. so how am I going to lose now! I'm totally frustrated. He said I was eating too fast and that was the problem....personally I think the amount of fill was too much and he refuses to try to tweak it just a bit.....like 1.5 or 1.6.....and my husband can vouch for me that I do not eat fast.........think I will bring him in the next time with me...........

First fill 1cc came home and PB, but I didn't follow the rules about liquid so I learned real fast what not to do. Then did ok pain with food going down. Then went back and got second fill and have been PB ing and vomiting every other day and I followed the liquids for three days then back to liquids for four more days. I am full on just a small bit of food. I wanted them to take some out but they said to hang in there for another week. I have been only putting down 300 to 700 calories a day. Hopefully next week will be better, I'm working on getting more Protein.< /p>

:bump: :bump: :bump:

What are the problems that you are having?

I remember Darcy/Nightingale2U has had troubles with fills. Also - Kellymoos (moderator & recently unbanded), Alexandra (also a moderator).... these are the ones that come to my immediate attention.

Im bumping this thread because there are other older bandsters that have had problems with their level of fills. Maybe they will see this thread and add to it?

I had a fill a few weeks ago and have since had 4 unfills. I am glad that my doctor has been patient with trying to find the proper level of restriction. I must say though that the initial fill was an experience that I don't want to repeat - although I broke the 200 barrier! I have since stalled in weight loss. I developed GERD and the unfills don't give the instant relief that I have heard it should. I think that I am still swollen and irritated. I am trying to avoid PB at all costs so I don't aggravate it.

I never thought that I would have zero appitite. That is wonderful! However GERD is something to avoid at any cost. This is my 2 cents of experience.

I have some problems 2, i dont know if im tooo fill or what but in the mourning and night when i Eat something stucks produce like something heavy like fluids and i need to go to the bathroom, so i better want to drink, be on liquids for evoid pains and problems. mayb i need to chew more and slowly i dont know sometimes im scared!

My first fill was 2.5. After 3 months of total misery (acid reflux @ night) I had a complete unfill, took nexium for 6 weeks (which cost me $150.00 since my insurance would not approve it). At the end of this period I went in to get a fill. As soon as I went in, I explained to the doctor that the first fill was way too aggressive (this particular office was not the ones that removed the fill) and I did not want to be filled that aggressively. The doc put in 2.0, did the fluro & it showed that it was pretty tight. I requested that he back it down a tad, which he did....to 1.8... which appears (it's been a week now) to be "perfect". I have had no reflux, can actually eat in the mornings (was unable to do anything but drink until around 2pm before) yet it keeps me from eating too much.

Thank you for starting this thread. I thought I was going to go crazy thinking I was the only one who had this problem!!!

I originally had a 2.0 fill & could eat quite a bit. I went in for an adjustment & had 2.7 which was PERFECT!! I had the best restriction & loved it!! 2 months later I retained a lot of Water during my period & could hardly drink anything!!! I was on liquids for a week. After the week of liquids, it started to slowly come back but it was still too tight!! It never went back to the perfect restriction!!! I then had an obstruction with a hot dog & had almost all of it taken out. I was able to eat EVERYTHING!! I managed to maintin during that time thank goodness.

6 weeks later I had 2.0 put back in. It was great for 3 weeks & then along come that time of the month & once again I couldn't eat a thing!! Liquids have been gurgling in my mouth!!!! I still cannot eat real food & it is killing me. I know I need to go get another unfill, but I am so tired of paying out $100 bucks everytime. I am praying it will go down on it's own!!!

After reading some posts on fills - this is my opinion: Whenever we retain Water, whether it be the time of the month, flying in a plane, having surgery, whatever it may be........it does something to the band. For me it makes my stomach really swell & it has a hard time going back to normal after the fact. It really messes me up big time!

I just want a good fill & have it stay there for a very, very long time!! :Banane13:

Or,....here's a great idea. I want a pesonal fill assistant who will unfill or fill me everyday depending on how I am when I wake up that morning. This assistant would also do all my laundry, dishes & clean all the bathrooms. Oh, and I would love it if they would also cook all my meals for me & make them perfectly healthy & have all the calories counted for me so I don't have to. What do you think!?!?

(Do you think my assistant could exercise for me too?!?!?!?!? PLEASE?!?!?!?!)

I am one that is super sensitive to fills, I was at 2.0 Dr wanted to give me a fill and I was too tight dehydrated and had to be unfilled. next fill he tried to put me back to 1.8 where I was to Begin with and still too tight I went back and had unfill for almost 2 months. Went back Dr put 1.8 I couldn't swallow the Water he makes me drink during fill, he took me down to 1.0 and it sounded like a clog had been cleared.Gurgle gurgle down the Water went.

So almost 2 years post op I've got 1cc going tomorrow for a SMALL fill lol

Everyone is different some need more some need less.

I got my second fill almost two weeks ago. I finally thought I had the restriction I was looking for and lost another 6 lbs. However, it now appears that I can eat more that I could a few days ago. Why is that? Does that happen for anyone else? I don't want to have to go get a fill once a month to keep restriction. Any thoughts?

Michelle

Banded by Spivak on 3/22/06

256/240/150

Can anyone please help me a little!!! I have two friends, one in Iowa and one from Illinois, both are having lap-band in two weeks and they want to know a doctor near them, to do their fills, they´re having it in Mexico....please help!!!!

First fill 1.1cc, didn't fill restriction until one week later. 3 weeks later 2nd fill, only had .5cc left from first fill. Filled to 1.0cc. Felt restricted immediately. Now almost 2 weeks later and still very restricted. I was told that I may never need another fill. I was also told that when I get to goal, I need to consider a complete unfill to maintain my weight.

Well, Pillow hasn't been back to LBT since posting this, so I guess they found another site to get answers from or they can't remember this addy.

Anyway, there were a lot of other questions and concerns asked in this thread that never got any responses. I'll try to address each, although I'm sure there are other folks out there that also provide some good advice.

Marie485 - It sounds like you are over filled. You should get right in to get a slight unfill. PB'ing everyday is NOT a good thing. It could cause your band to slip. I can't believe they told you to "hang on". Let us know how you're doing?

Y5clm2000 - You must still be too tight. Is your Dr doing your fills under fluro? That GERD stuff is usually a sign of being banded too tightly or perhaps even slippage. I'd have that checked asap.

Analoren - You said things get stuck in the morning and at night. I've read many posts by people who have to stick to liquids until the band loosens up a bit during the day. Others have said they feel more restriction at night. Are you able to eat solid foods during the rest of the day? I've also heard people say that drinking some warm tea or broth prior to eating helps the band relax a bit so you don't get that first bite syndrome where the first attempt at eating sticks.

urbrdfs - That is exactly what people need to do. Find that sweet spot. Not too tight, not too loose. It takes time for some people. No one should be willing to work with being overfilled. They'll end up eating foods that can go through the band, which are usually high calorie and high in sugars and the weight loss will slow. It should be everyone's aim to be able to eat hard Proteins such as fish and chicken, and vegetables and fruits (not all of course.. there are some that just aren't band friendly). I'm glad to hear you found that sweet spot!

DianeChef - "After reading some posts on fills - this is my opinion: Whenever we retain Water, whether it be the time of the month, flying in a plane, having surgery, whatever it may be........it does something to the band. For me it makes my stomach really swell & it has a hard time going back to normal after the fact. It really messes me up big time!"

I think I have the opposite situation. During my TOM I felt like I had very little restriction and I was starving! I ate 6oz of roast beef at one time and then went back for more 30 mins later! But now that the TOM has passed, I'm back to feeling restricted. I have to eat slowly or I feel the threat of things sticking, and I can now only eat about a cup of food again. These bodies of ours are certainly odd, aren't they?

Oh, and about your assistant. I have the same Help Wanted ad running in our local paper. Do you think we will find someone who will do all of this for room and board? I'd be happy to kick out my son and let them have his room. *evil grin*

PlunderBunny - "he took me down to 1.0 and it sounded like a clog had been cleared" *laughs* I can just hear that! I only have 1cc in my 4cc band too. Seems to be just right so far.

Chelleanne - That same thing happened to me after my first fill. It took a few weeks for things to calm down. Even then, as you can read above I still go through period of time when I feel like I can eat too much. I think I'd rather deal with those times than to be overfilled. I would suggest that you journal your food intake and track your calories and Protein intake. I thought I was overeating too, but my averages for the month showed I'm eating about 950 calories and 85 grams of Protein per day. That includes the days I was ravenous. I think that our perception of "normal" food amounts changes so radically after banding, that it's hard to judge how we are doing without writing down every bite for a realistic account.

Pinkpanther06 - Your friends should ask their doctors to refer them to someone for fills and follow up care. If they can't then they have a couple of other options. They can begin to call around to find local surgeons that do the band and ask for a referral to someone who will do fills, or they can check out Fill Centers USA and see if there is one in their area. Having access to good follow up care is as important as access to fills. I hope they find both prior to going to Mx to get their bands.