Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

January 2013 Bandsters Unite

question....for those who are on the 'other side'' date=' how has it been on the liquid diet? are you tolerating the liquids OK? Are you hungry? my surgery is Monday and I'm keeping an eye on all your comments so I have a better idea of what to possibly expect in terms of all things post-op.[/quote']

I'm day three out from the surgery--had it on the 9th. It's been tougher than I expected because I had a hard time with the anesthesia and the pain med. Don't really remember the day after surgery. Today is better in terms of pain. Only real pain is at the port site when I stand up and it pulls at my abdominal muscles. I've only had to take Tylenol once a day. The real pain is gas. It's awful though I've tried heat and walking. My lungs feel kind of bruised and I can't breath very deeply yet. food is a non-issue at this point: I struggle to eat at all because not hungry and chest/stomach feels tight and full. Tomorrow will be better, I'm sure

On the plus side, I've lost 15 pounds since starting liquid and losing more will make it more worthwhile. Right now I'm just ready to feel normal again.

I had an original surgery date of January 4th,2013, which they rescheduled to the 11th because my surgeon decided to go on vacation. He then decided he wanted his partner to assist and rescheduled it again to the 16th. So, I am doing my pre-op diet, down 11lbs so far, and anxiously awaiting my surgery day. I have told anyone and everyone what I am having done and have heard all kinds of comments, both negative and positive. I don't give a darn what anyone thinks, it is my life and if my MD, my gynecologist, and my surgeon all think I

need this surgery, then I will go with their advice over the naysayers. Good luck to everyone and thanks for all the great info on this forum.

Mel

I too, have been rescheduled 3 times. My surgery is the 17th. I was originally supposed to have it 12/19. I feel your frustration.

Good luck and hang in there on the pre-op.

5 day let to go :)

Hey everyone..

Surgery date is the 23rd

I'm on my preop diet... DAY 3

My headaches are getting better and the diet is going fine (YES,day 1 was a day from HELL)... I just wish the 23rd would come!!!

I'm not to nervous, I've had several other surgeries before (2 csections,knee, and arm)

I'm just ANXIOUS and ready

Feel free to add me and chat me ttyl ;)

I too, have been rescheduled 3 times. My surgery is the 17th. I was originally supposed to have it 12/19. I feel your frustration.

Good luck and hang in there on the pre-op.

5 day let to go :)

Looks like you and I will be recovering at almost the same time. Good luck to you!

I'm day three out from the surgery--had it on the 9th. It's been tougher than I expected because I had a hard time with the anesthesia and the pain med. Don't really remember the day after surgery. Today is better in terms of pain. Only real pain is at the port site when I stand up and it pulls at my abdominal muscles. I've only had to take Tylenol once a day. The real pain is gas. It's awful though I've tried heat and walking. My lungs feel kind of bruised and I can't breath very deeply yet. food is a non-issue at this point: I struggle to eat at all because not hungry and chest/stomach feels tight and full. Tomorrow will be better, I'm sure

On the plus side, I've lost 15 pounds since starting liquid and losing more will make it more worthwhile. Right now I'm just ready to feel normal again.

I'm three days post op as well and the only pain I'm having is the port site! VERY VERY Tender! I feel like I need to burp and it just isn't happening! Oh, and I'm sooooooo hungry :(

Jhonnieb i have also had 2 csections and knee surgery....i think this will be much easier!

I have surgery the 29th

Good luck to u!

Feel better!

So I'm curriouse as to what kind of pre op diets e everyone is on , mine , light breakfast(eggs), shake for lunch, dinner, ( 4-6 oz of lean meat, and a veggie, usually a salad, and 4 th meal shake( usually don't have it) also can have sf popcicles, sf Jello, and more vegies, sf candies is this average,.... I notice someone had said just shakes and broth..just curiouse

So I'm curriouse as to what kind of pre op diets e everyone is on , mine , light breakfast(eggs), shake for lunch, dinner, ( 4-6 oz of lean meat, and a veggie, usually a salad, and 4 th meal shake( usually don't have it) also can have sf popcicles, sf Jello, and more vegies, sf candies is this average,.... I notice someone had said just shakes and broth..just curiouse

I am on a full liquid diets for 2 weeks prior to surgery. I can have Protein shakes/drinks, cream based Soups that have blended with no chunks, sf jello/popsicles, and broth. It's pretty limited but I've done well so far. Today was the hardest because it's the weekend and isn't as structured as my work week. I'm down 11 pounds since Monday morning so it's motivating me to stay strict!

My pre-op diet was pretty strict, I had a much harder time sticking to it than I'm having with my post-surgery Clear Liquids diet!

I was only allowed Proteins and SOME vegetables, along with Water and Meal Replacement shakes. NO fruit at all, and many vegetables like carrots were "too starchy". I was on this diet for 10 days. I cheated once by eating a banana, but I lost 8 lbs anyway. The days went by a lot faster than I expected. I did have trouble the first couple of days, my body just wanted to sleep and I had a hard time staying awake.

My surgery date is Jan 25! Was aiming for Dec. 21 since I had met my deductible for the year already but I went out of town for the holidays instead! I am on day 3 of my pre-op diet and it has been an emotional roller coaster! I have to do two weeks of full liquids. (EAS Advatage meal replacement shakes, 4-6 a day, Water or crystal light and broth/bouillon) I was crying last night because I wanted food so bad! I made some chicken, talked with a friend, and ended pouring bleach on the chicken as well as down my Cereal box. I have read a lot that it does get better once your stomach gets adjusted to the diet! Hope this is true!! :)

I am starting my preop diet this monday....

I am allowed 5 Protein Shakes per day, 64 oz of Water or sugarfree calorie free beverages or broths and sugar free ice pops for 2 weeks

Definetely going to be a challenge but I have to stick with it

I'm day three out from the surgery--had it on the 9th. It's been tougher than I expected because I had a hard time with the anesthesia and the pain med. Don't really remember the day after surgery. Today is better in terms of pain. Only real pain is at the port site when I stand up and it pulls at my abdominal muscles. I've only had to take Tylenol once a day. The real pain is gas. It's awful though I've tried heat and walking. My lungs feel kind of bruised and I can't breath very deeply yet. food is a non-issue at this point: I struggle to eat at all because not hungry and chest/stomach feels tight and full. Tomorrow will be better' date=' I'm sure

On the plus side, I've lost 15 pounds since starting liquid and losing more will make it more worthwhile. Right now I'm just ready to feel normal again.[/quote']

My Dr explained the port site will be super sore because they stitch it to your muscle. Ouch!

It's hard this diet I cheated my first day. Today is day 3 and I felt like I was going to throw up and I had a headache. I want a cheeseburger so bad but I willed myself to stay in the house and not eat.

I started my preop diet yesterday. Basically it's the Atkins diet but very very very limited carbs. I'm having trouble on finding good foods. Anyone have any advice?