Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Had to have an emergency unfill.....

Just a word of caution - please be careful as you eat and take it slow and minute bites and do not swallow until it is practically liquid.....

I am over 2 years out and know how to eat bandster bits but I had the worst PB of my life yesterday. I was in a hurry, and I had ate some pinto Beans and cornbread and I started getting that golfball feeling. Of course, I stopped immediately and thought it would pass. I waited for 2 hours and then tried to drink some hot tea, which did not go down and came back up. I tried for 4 hours and still have excruciting pressure and pain in my chest. Longstory short, I called my surgeon and he met met in the ER for an emergency unfill to allow the food to pass. I had blocked my pouch. Trust me you don't want to ever go through that.

I am however gonna start looking for another fill doctor. He was so rude to me and had no sympathy whatsoever and acted like I was stupid for this happening. I was so upset when I got there and he did nothing to reassure me or make me feel better except unfill me. His bedside manner is horrible. I have used this surgeon for 2 years for my fills and I know it bothered him to have to come in afterhours, but he always says call if you have any problems. I know I seem to be whining but he has treated me like this the last time I went in. He either needs a vacation or get out of the lapband business, or get a good dose of compassion somewhere. He made me feel stupid for that happening to me as if I did'nt feel bad enough with the pain and scared feeling of wondering if I had a slip since I have had one before.

Just please be careful as you eat and take it slow....Thanks for letting me vent.....

Brenda, I'm so sorry you had such a terrible experience with the PB and the doctor. Although it's been 16 months for me, I still forget sometimes. I rarely get the pressure, just spit back for ever.

Hope you have a better day.....Hugs!

Awww Brenda. I'm sorry your doc was a jerk to you. Shame on him! Do you have other options for fill docs? I sure hope so because noone deserves that kind of rudeness. Sheesh! Did he give you a complete unfill? Take it easy, pretty lady. Get your Aloe Vera juice and baby that band. ((((hugs))))

Oh my word, Brenda! You poor thing! Hang in there! Baby yourself & be kind to your tummy! ;) And get a new doc quick! No one needs to hear "I told you so" or "You should know better" from a skinny unsympathetic man!!

Thanks you all for your responses. I needed to hear those words. His nurse just called me to schedule my next adjustment and was somewhat sympathetic when I told her how he treated me. She aplogized for him, but I have a list of band doctors in my area to call today to see if they take new patients and take my insurance. She said he does it like "tough love" and that he will scare you bad enough that you will be more careful in your eating., etc. But, hey, there was just no call for it if you ask me, hurting patients need sympathy and compassion.

Again, thanks for letting me vent and for your compassion and support.

Hi Brenda,

Sorry about your PB from hell! I had a similar problem with my surgeon. After my PS, he rationed my fill. Gave me 1.00 back and told me to comeback in 3months for another.. Previous to PS, I had 2.4 in my band with no problems, so as you know it can be frustrating when the docs treat you like a newbie. My doc said that I just had to be compliant, be a good girl and watch my intake, yadda yadda. I was really offended since I had already gained 10 pounds when I quit smoking for the surgery and another 5 pounds after because I had nothing in my band for 8 weeks. Sometimes these docs put everyone in the same category and that can be frustrating now that I am almost 3 years post op. Find someone who listens to you.

Babs in TX

334/180 ish

-150 ish but I really dont know cause I dont weigh anymore!!! NSV I think...

Brenda

I am so sorry you had to go through that, being raised in the south, pintos and cornbread are one of my favorite foods. Thanks for sharing your experience with us, I will think about this the next time I am eating Beans.

I hope you feel better soon and you are able to find a doctor with a little more bed side manner. I agree with you ...that was no time for "tough love". It sounds like he was nothing more than a jerk!

Yes, these doctors sometimes just assume you've done something wrong...like my Doctor only filling me to 1.0 after insisting on doing 1.8 and 1.9..........which eventually caused acid reflux..........but insisted I was causing my own acid reflux by eating to fast???? my husband says if I eat any slower, I would run one meal into another? When I asked about filling to a 1.5 or 1.6..........he just put 1.0 in and told me not to come back until I lost 20 lbs...........now how is that going to happen when I can eat just about anything now!

Thank you Lil Ethel as I am a new bandster as of April 4, 2006, and it very important to know these types of things and the fact that it is not just a rule in the beginning but forever. Take care!!

Hey I have a question about fills and insurance, I paid for my surgery in TJ out of pocket. Will my insurance cover my fills in the US? or do I have to go through some red tape? I think its utterly ridiculous to have to pay so much for a fill when they don't want to meet your needs. I know in TJ the fills are much cheaper for example mine are 120.00 on a weekday and 150.00 on a weekend you provide your own transportation, or 200.00 and they pickyou up at the SD airport and take you back. The only problem is they do seem to not want to listen to my needs of having more of a fill. Although they have wonderful bedside manners its still frustrating to not get what you want and paid for. I must say they do have some of the best surgeons there. I'm just frustrated having lost only 15lbs in one year and six fills makes me angry! I'm about ready to just give up on this band. I have talk to my surgeon several times about this but he tells me there is nothing wrong with the band and that I must remember its a tool. I know he is right. I need to go on liquids for a complete two weeks. Has anybody gone on liquids for an extended period and then have results with the band?

Hi All,

I also just last Friday had an emergency unfill. I too have been banded for almost 11/2 years and also thought I had a slip.

What a scarey feeling. I had really bad acid reflux, nausea and could barely drink. Mine went on for several days though and continued to get worse. I had 2cc removed and that seem to do the trick. I still do not know what the problem was (food, too tight)? who knows, but I sure feel better now. I had a Upper GI today and all appeared good, and have a endo scheduled for Thursday. Keep your fingers crossed......

Staci

Orlando FL

banded in TJ 12/04

Staci, Glad you got yours cleared up and that it was not a slip. Glad also that your UGI looked good. Good luck to you.

Babs & TX Lady, I know, I hated the way he talked to me, like I was stupid and had no clue after me being his patient for 2 years. I know he forgets who is who and how long you have been there with him, but don't make me feel stupid is all I ask.

AngelU and Tammy - Yes, even 2 years out, you GOT to follow the rules, which I do, but apparently just ate too fast and took to big a bite this time for the blockage. An expensive painful hard lesson learned. He just told me for sure to never eat cornbread ever again or any other kind of bread which I never did any other kind.

sunflower - Your insurance should cover fills in US, get some names of band doctors in your area and just call your insurance and ask them if they are on your plan.

Thanks for all your support here.