Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Elliptical beginner

Hello

I rented an elliptical machine vowing to exercise every day on it. However, I cannot stand to be on it for more than 3 minutes before I get pain on my quads, calves and shins that will not allow me to go on!

Anyone out there have tips for getting from couch to fit with an elliptical trainer or a schedule that could help?

Thanks!

Hi There,

I had this same issue when i first started but i realized i was starting out to fast. Slow it down a bit and focus on slow and steady, almost like a brisk walk instead of a full out run. Doing this I could go about 30 mins the first few times....give it a try, and congratulations on incorporating the exercise into your day, good for you!!

I am an elliptical frantic. I really wanted to run but its just too hard on my joints. But good running shoes are important. I usually start out at a 10 incline and a 6 resistance for 5 mins to warm up and see how it feels. Then push it up to 11 and 7 for 5. Then up to 8 resistance for 2 minutes then 9 res for 2 then I put it up as high as I can for the last minute. Then repeat for an hour. You really need to play around with the settings and see what is comfortable. Usually if it hurts some but you keep going your legs will adjust and it will get better. Start off making a small goal like going for 10 mins. Once there increase the intensity till you aim for 15

I can say start out slow. shortest stride that the machine has. Walk to start out with. So what if it is only a walk with no or little resistance, it is more than sitting on the couch doin nothing. I am an elliptical fan big time. Simple reason is it is a serious workout...but, it is a serious workout. It work you so don't get too discouraged if you cant go long...one other thing keep moving when it hurts your legs will get used to it or go numb... either way the pain goes away!;)

Slow at first low resistance. Sounds like it was set way to high for your starting point.

Since my treadmill broke I am at the mercy of my barely used Elliptical for calorie burning. I have been discouraged, too, but realized today that I could do 6 minutes on lowest resistance and last week could barely do 2 minutes. Hang in there, low and slow and it will get better. My trainer says to do intervals at different resistance levels in the same work out even if only for a few seconds at a time.

Best wishes,

Mimi

The elliptical can be tough! If you can only do 3 minutes, then do those 3 minutes. Add 1 more minute if you think you can push yourself. Then the next time, go 4 minutes, and push for one more if you can. It's ok to start slow and only go for short periods of time! While you're at it, do the old standby trick of parking farther from work or the grocery store and walking further during everyday activities than you normally would. This will help build up your stamina as well.