Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anesthesia??

Hi,

The last time I had anesthesia was when I had my tonsils out at age 5. That would be 46 years ago.

My husband has had surgery. He has nightmares about going under (his third surgery). He says it felt like dying. That it felt like his brain shut down before his sight and that he felt like he was falling backwards. He says if he hadn't gone out he would have vomited.

When he has had surgery twice before. When he was 5 for tonsils. He says he recalls distinctly hearing a horrid loud buzzing and seeing what he describes as almost a test pattern (like when old time tv would go off the air late at night). The next time he went under was about 9 years ago. He told the doc his fears. They were able to give him something before wheeling him in so that he doesn't remember what happened after we said goodbye. He doesn't know if he was out or was given something to give him amnesia-like symptoms.

I am a control freak and have bad claustrophobia. I am more scared of going under than of anything else.

Has anyone out there experienced anything out of the ordinary or wierd or bad when going under?

Thank you all in advance!

Love,

Diva whose avatar shows the future.

Sorry, can't add to your worries. I have had 3 surgeries that have required me to be put under a general.

I have to say I like it. Upon waking, I feel like a slept for a YEAR!

Hope your's is a postiive experience.

Hey try not to worry, I have not had a bad experience after 3 bouts of general anesthesia. I did feel weird for a few days, but I put that down to surgery in general. I'm sorry for your worries, but most people fare pretty well over all. I'm sure you will be fine. Till later, see ya!

I'm not too worried about the anesthesia, but I do have claustrophobia. One thing I read on this site was that someone was awake in the operating room when they were buckling (is that what they call it?) down their arms & such. When I read that post, I felt my blood turn warm in my entire body. I bring this up to you b/c I've added that to my list of questions/concerns for my surgeon. I cannot be awake when they do this or I may just stand up on the gurney! ;) Good luck to you and be sure to talk to your surgeon about your concerns!!

I never had a bad experience going under anethesia. Once they put the mask on, I didn't know a thing until I woke up. It was fine, and I'm sure it will be fine for you too. Everything is so advanced now, that the chance of anything being unpleasant is slim to none. You'll be fine.

I was frightened of the anesthesia part,also. It turned out that it was the best part of the whole procedure! Like another post said, once they put the mask on, that's all she wrote! I had surgery 20 years ago and did remember it not being quite as comfortable, but maybe they've come a long way.

Kelli

I had two surgeries in the past four months. All I remember was being wheeled into the OR and seeing someone on the other side of the room. Next thing I was waking up and being offered juice and crackers. I felt a little woozy for a few minutes, but that was it. For me, nothing to it.

Hope yours goes as well.

Diva, don't be afraid to tell the doctor about your fears. Anaesthesia HAS come a long way since your childhood, and they absolutely can give you something that will calm you down. Believe me, they don't want you afraid any more than you do, so be honest with them.

I personally HATE anaesthesia, but I've never had a bad experience with it. I just don't like the foggy feeling that lingers, in me, for days afterward. The actual operation and immediate aftermath were fine as far as they went, no horror stories to report. My body just is...slow or something and it takes days to get rid of chemicals or drugs where other people process that in hours. On the flip side, I was worried that it would take a while for me to go under in the first place, but everyone else is correct--they tell you to start counting backwards from 100 (or whatever) and five counts later you're waking up!

I won't tell you not to be scared--I agree that general anaesthesia is scary. But be honest with your doctors and they will help you get through it easily. Good luck!!

Diva,

I've had 4 different types of surgery in the last 6 years. I've never had a problem with the anaesthesia except for being nauseated one time after surgery. I've always been given a shot to relax me before being taken into the operating room. I do remember going into the room but everything happens so quickly and they say start counting backwards from 10. I don't remember ever getting past 9. Hope your turns out well.