Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Was banded October 18, I know this is the holiday season and all. Is it safe to have a drink?? I'm not sure how this will work with my new tummy. The food part I'm doing ok with, I did have one boneless wing and mozzarella stick, I took the breading off, wasn't sure if it would've gotten stuck?? Can we drink with the lap band if so, what can we have???

Sent from my iPhone using LapBandTalk

You can but two things I do. First, I count the calories into my daily allowance. Secondly, I watch how it effects me, because I am eating less. I used to be able to drink a lot more before feeling the effects. Now I have one glass and feel tipsy!

Happy holidays!

People will say NO... but cause it's not on the diet plan. I have had a glass of wine that I sipped on and I agree... it had effects sooner than before surgery. I don't drink often cause they are empty calories.. BUT you will not hurt your band if you have an occasional drink or two...

sure it wont hurt you or your band. some folks say it slows down you weight loss but sometimes its just nice to have one. I have had one in the 4 mos that I have been banded...track it and what how you feel.

I agree with the above. My dr says its ok but sip it, it will go straight to your head. Count it in your calories as well. If you like a glass of sparkling wine pop a pinch of salt in it, it helps it flatten a bit (dr told me to do that). A nice treat you won't feel bad about if you record it - that's the key.

Also I was told wine is better than beer. Stay away from carbonated if possible. I heard its painful!

If your dr said its ok to drink alcohol this early on... Then I would follow his advice. I am not the one to ask about bending the rules because I was super strict with myself so weight would come off sooner than later. 2 years out at goal and I still barely trust myself with a cheese stick or a boneless wing....lol. I didn't drink until I lost the first 100 lbs... And then it's rare but I will enjoy a non carbonated adult beverage every once in awhile... And this from someone who dines out a lot and entertains frequently. For me the calories just aren't worth it.

Thanks guys!!!! I will try and see what happens, I know to remember that one glass can make me tipsy...

In general I don't think alcohol should be part of someone's post weight loss surgery lifestyle. Would you make a habit of eating a candy bar or nice cream sundae I doubt it. Some of the people who will tell you it's okay to drink alcohol will be the first to tell someone they shouldn't eat Greek yogurt with fruit in it because of the sugar. Personally I don't understand the logic in that. Before anyone says that red wine is good for you I don't think the sugar you get from the wine is really worth the health benefits that you're going to get.

I come from a wine family... father owned a vineyard and was a vintner, so I was weaned on wine (slight exaggeration). Anyway, wine has always been a part of the evening meal and that hasn't changed. Yes, it has slowed down the weight loss some, but I am still losing. To me, living and losing with the band is about your lifestyle... if you can maintain that lifestyle long-term you will be successful. If you make your diet unrealistic for the long-term it will just be another diet... and most of us know, that weight is always gained back, plus more!

This is just my own personal opinion, I don't think it hurts to splurge every now and then, as long as you don't do it often.

Also I was told wine is better than beer. Stay away from carbonated if possible. I heard its painful!

Yep, carbonated is painful! I relaxed yesterday with some carbonated cider and I had the most awful stomach pains until I passed enough wind to feel comfortable again. I won't be doing that again.

I just had a margarita and sipped it slowly.... It did kinda go to my head.... But it was a learning experience, I probably only had maybe 8 sips, boyfriend finished the rest..

Drink responsibly as always.

Always that.... I just had a margarita and it did go to my head, I feel quite tipsy. Boyfriend finished the rest, I had maybe 8 sips....