Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2nd Day Post-Op and Needing Advise

I can relate to your discomfort. What everyone said here, rest and walk, and drink plenty of fluids. Heating pad and Tylenol. Believe itor not, it slowly gets better.

I'm actually doing quite well today. I'm 5 days post-op and feel great. the gas pains have subsided, considerably. I'm using a sippy cup because I drink too fast otherwise. When I don't use it, the pains come back. I never had shoulder pain at all. Praise the Lord! It sounds very painful. Can't do that bending over suggestion yet. Incisions still too sore. Thanks for the advice.

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">HI Everyone,

I am so glad to see alot of newly banded people on here. I am getting rather frustrated with the feelings of hunger and not being able to eat anything with substance. My stomach is growling and feels nauseas from hunger all day long. It feels like when you get over from having the flu and all you want to do is eat a piece of toast to settle that "feeling" in your stomach. Does anyone know what I am talking about?

Also, It says I can eat Mashed Potatoes...What do they mean by that?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :hungry:

Thanks,

Paula

Banded 04/07/2006

</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I started the extra strength gas a couple of days before surgery after reading all the posts about gas pain. Keep taking them and walk, walk, walk.

Hey Paula,

Boo sent an e-mail to Dr. Miranda because she was really weak from not getting enough nutrients. Today, she and I are now 6 days post-op. Dr.Mirando bumped her up to the 8 days post-op diet. Mashed potatoes and gravy from KFC would probably be delicious if I could stomach it. I'm sure it would needs LOTS of gravy so it goes down smoothly. I have been so blessed not have hunger pains at all. I have to force myself to eat something. I barely ate 1/4 cup Tomato Soup and a Jello cup yesterday. I felt so bloated afterward. It subsided after a while and I just didn't eat anything else. In the second phase you can eat eggs can't you?

What the heck are you talking about, "LOTS of gravy"?? Girl, don't even think about cheating! AND I am one day ahead of you, so there!

Moving ahead meant I could move on to yogurt and Protein shakes...NOT KFC!

Thank you for the advice. I have been actually feeling a lot better. I guess my body is getting used to the hunger pains. I have tried to eat mashed potatoes and can only eat a couple of tablespoons at one sitting. But that is fine with me I will take it = )

It is just a hard adjustment to go from eating anything and everything to eating hardly anything. But, that is the point of this right? I must say that I have found this web site extrememly helpful.

Thanks again,

Paula

Banded 04/07/2006

312/302/170

Boo,

You are hilarious!! Paula said she was told she could have mashed potatos. I don't remember if Dr. Miranda told me or if it was written somewhere about mashed potatos once you move to the mushy food group. I believe Dr. Miranda mentioned it though because she said to make sure it's really thin!! So ... nanny-nanny-boo-boo!

I still don't want to eat anything. What is so funny, I dreamed this morning that I was hungry. (How insane is that?) But when I woke up, I wasn't at all. I barely get in 500 calories a day right now. As long as I'm remaining upright and the pounds are dropping off, I ain't complainin'!

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">Hi King,

I made the mashed potatoes w/ chicken broth an alot of it. It went down fine. I really have no interest in eating now it is weird. My only concern is that once I want to and do start eating again I will gain back the little I am losing now.

I am experiencing a bit of pain on my right side. I am thinking it is where the port is. Have you experienced this??

I was banded in Salem, Ma by Dr. Kastrinakis. I have heard that Dr. Ortiz is great! I was lucky and my insurance covered it.

Oh yeh, My post op diet included mashed potatoes and mashed carrots.

Paula

</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I'm not banded yet but have heard that starting Metamucil with orange juice 2 weeks before surgery and immediately afterwards does wonders for the gas pain. If you go into surgery "with the colon :Banane04: empty it seems logical you wouldn't have as much gas. It's just what I've been told but I'm willing to give it a try.