Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Revision next week- freaking out!

Hi everyone!

I'm fairly new to the site so ill give you a bit of background. I was banded in Aug 2010 and have lost around 50 pounds since then. Over the last year, my weight has remained constant, despite a series of fills, unfills, etc. Last summer, the dr checked for a slip but the films looked ok. Just bad reflux. Now, after an UGI showing a slip and a repeat UGI yesterday, the slip is confirmed and did not resolve on its own. I am tentatively scheduled for revision surgery next week and, as the title suggests, I'm freaking out about it. I work full time, have 2 young kids and the holidays are just around the corner. My husband is only somewhat helpful ;) Can anyone offer words of wisdom or advice of any kind?

Thanks in advance...

F

I just had my slip repaired and had plication done on the 15th of November. I'm not sure why, but this surgery was SO much easier to recover from than the original band surgery! The only reason I can think of for that is that my body was already used to a much smaller amount of food. I didn't have any of the weakness and light-headedness that was so extreme with my first surgery. One week to the day after my revision and plication, I was re-arranging my living room furniture by myself and decorating for Christmas!!

Hopefully yours will be easy, too.

I had a slip revision last Oct. I did not feel as bad that time as I did after my 1st surgery. I can't say I went right back, but was bowling in 3 weeks. In fact, I went on a cruise 2 weeks after the revision. You can do it. Just be aware of watching your food intake until the surgeon refills your band. Karen

Thanks, ladies. I have been totally unfilled for the last 3 weeks, starving and gaining. It's been pretty bad. At least there's a pretty solid chance that I'll start losing again! Hopefully the recovery won't be too horrible- I'd like to actually enjoy Xmas with the fam.

Good luck, and it sounds like it will be a bit easier, judging from our peers experiences. Sandy

PS: will this cost as much as a first time surgery. Is it all covered by insurance and if not what percentage do you pay, if you dont mind my asking. I do so, because theres always.....a chance. It could happen to any of us! Thanks! Sandy

Thanks Sandy!

I'm lucky to have decent insurance, so I likely won't have to pay anything out of pocket. I'll let you know if is see any billing info though. I just realized that since the dr is only revising the band itself, the port should be left alone, which hopefully means less healing time for me. Or is it just wishful thinking...?