Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First fill *ouch*

Dr. debated whether or not to give me a fill b/c of my weightloss so far. He asked me a lot about what I could eat, how much, if I felt hungry, etc... at first he wasn't going to give me a fill, but finally decided on giving me a small one so I got 1cc in my 4cc band. My port is located about 1 - 1.5 inches below my port incision, and to the left a bit.

The fill was not what I had expected. "Painless" wasn't entirely accurate. Normally when I've had a lidocaine shot, it stings and then stops. This one stung, and just kept stinging deeper and deeper -- I could feel that he was pushing the needle down as he went (I know they do this, but it was weird to feel the needle being pushed that far into me). I also didn't get completely numb so I felt the last little bit of the saline needle between where the numbing stopped and the port face is located. Little ouchier than I had thought it would be, but nothing I couldn't handle. :)

Soup tonight - no problem because I'm not hungry - then try some mushies and moveback up to solids as I feel comfortable/as tolerated.

Ouch! I'm so thankful my port isn't very deep, and my fill doc likes the lidocaine! You are a trooper! Grats of your first fill! Yay! EASE into your foods and be careful. Your weight loss is GREAT!!!!! Go get 'em Wheetsin!

Ouchie!!! But congrats on surviving the first fill. You have done great on the loosing side so far!!!! Keep up the good work.

Next time try it without the lidocaine. I did it that way (my dr advised me it was more painful to have the numbing shot) and I didn't feel it AT ALL.

Hello there how are u I was looking @ your weight lost the first week after being banded, How did u lose so much weight so fast ? I am about to be banded on 4/28 and I know everyone is different but I was just curious !Congrats on your weight lost !!! :clap2: Thanks in advance !

Dr. debated whether or not to give me a fill b/c of my weightloss so far. He asked me a lot about what I could eat, how much, if I felt hungry, etc... at first he wasn't going to give me a fill, but finally decided on giving me a small one so I got 1cc in my 4cc band. My port is located about 1 - 1.5 inches below my port incision, and to the left a bit.

The fill was not what I had expected. "Painless" wasn't entirely accurate. Normally when I've had a lidocaine shot, it stings and then stops. This one stung, and just kept stinging deeper and deeper -- I could feel that he was pushing the needle down as he went (I know they do this, but it was weird to feel the needle being pushed that far into me). I also didn't get completely numb so I felt the last little bit of the saline needle between where the numbing stopped and the port face is located. Little ouchier than I had thought it would be, but nothing I couldn't handle. :)

Soup tonight - no problem because I'm not hungry - then try some mushies and moveback up to solids as I feel comfortable/as tolerated.

I was due to have my first fill next Tuesday, now I have to wait 2 weeks because of the Dr. needing to reschedule. I'm really hungry and know I've gained some of the weight back since my banding. Kind of a bummer. But I was told that could happen. Wish I were losing like you are.

How did u lose so much weight so fast ?
I attribute it to two things. The first thing is that I'm a BIG Water drinker, and was not drinking much at all right after surgery. So I went from 160 - 180 oz Water per day, to maybe 20. I could drink it, I just didn't want to. I'm sure a lot of that initial loss was water weight. I know it was, because I could see it in my skin.

The second thing is that my appetite never returned. Sure, I get hungry, but had just enough restriction from the band to help me feel full quicker, and managed during the last 5ish weeks to hang on to my willpower enough that I could take a few bites, ask if I was still hungry, get an honest answer, and go from there. Once I started eating slowly and really paying attention to whether or not I still felt truly hungry, I was amazed at how little food it took to not be hungry. Not full, just no longer hungry. Sometimes it was only a bite or two. During my entire first week post-op I consumed about 600 calories.

I'm paying for it now, the scale hasn't budged in about 2 weeks. :)

Wish I were losing like you are.
I don't know what your stats are, but at my surgery weight I had nearly 200 lbs to lose before hitting goal. The more weight you have to lose, the higher the chance it will come off a little more quickly. If you think of it in terms of layers, or even percentages, it makes perfect sense. :)

Trust me, I'd trade a slower rate of loss for a lighter starting weight any day. :)

Bummer about your reschedule. I'm not a patient person - that would be a very hard dela for me to deal with...

Keep up the good work! The whole tryint to get the port needle in the belly thing is something I'm a little aprehensive about. I'm a week out, so, I've got some time to get nice and worked up about it. lol... Anyway you're doing great. Great motivation for me!

Wheetsin:

CONGRATS on all that weight loss....and thank you SO MUCH for the "new" way to look at eating.... "am I still hungry?" is a better question to ask than "am I full/satisfied?"....cause I like to eat and satisfaction is tough!! :)

Melody

Hey,

You are doing awesome!!! Great weight loss...as for the fill I have never even felt anything but pressure but mine is(was) so close to the surface it was easy to get to. I am a little worried after the TT though, it is much lower than it was and buried more. Oh well after what I have been through lately a little fill should be a walk in the park :)

Congrats again.

You are doing so fantastic!! Keep up the great work :D

I don't do lidocain before getting a fill. The first fill definitely was more uncomfortable than the later ones. I attribute this to a) the doctor becoming familiar with my port and :) myself becoming familiar with what a fill feels like.

It does get better though :D

Oh .. and while I'm here, just wanted to say that I've really enjoyed reading your posts since you've come here!

Wheetsin-

So sorry the fill wasn't smooth sailing. The first one was the hardest for me...I think because the area is still a little tender. Also, as you lose more weight, the port isn't quite as 'deep' and takes less effort to feel/find.

My body since day one has been the type that loses a large amount of weight quickly (10-15 pounds in 2 weeks) then goes into shock and plateaus for 2-3 weeks. It's been that way since my first month of banding. It's hard, but stay positive through the plateau. Try to make sure you are still getting the 60 gms protein/day, regardless of whether or not you are hungry. That is key to breaking through the plateau and continuing to lose weight on the minimal calories. (I know you already know this stuff:rolleyes: ).

I'll be curious to know how you do with your fill. Keep me updated, and keep up the awesome work girl!!!!

Love ya,

Robyn

Wheetsin. I was horrified after reading your fill experience. Sometimes I feel like I have become a needle cushion after 3 c secs (with gestational diabetes so checking blood 5x a day!), gall blader removed and now this band. My tolerance for pain has increased but the way you described your pain scares me.

Congrats on your weight loss. I know stalling can be a bummer (it is what usually makes me give up on a diet), but it is much better than seeing the scale go up (which is amazing that you haven't gaiined any since moving on to solids).

Please don't be scared! I promise - it's nothing that would keep me from going back. It just wasn't what I had expected. It's no more pain that a lidocaine shot normally is, it's just that for me, it kept going and going. :)

Robin - we have similar weightloss trends. I've *always* lost a bunch up front, then hit looong plateaus after. Even on WW I lost about 20# in my first week. A lot of people seem to lose weight steadily, so that they see a difference each week. Not me, and I'd much rather have it the other way. On Atkins, which was when I last lost significant weight (120#) I'd go weeks with nothing, then the scale would show 9# lost overnight, then nothing for 2 weeks, then 2#, then nothing, then over the next 3 days I'd total 17#... Once I stalled for 4 months (I weighed 315 in March and said I'd give myself until July 4 to be anywhere under 300). Didn't lose a pound come July. Gave up on the scale. Got it back out in September and was about 298. Got it out a week later and was about 290.

And BTW you were right about him having to palpitate. It took him at least two or three minutes to decide he'd found the right place, then it felt like he marked it with a pen, went to the counter, came back with the needles and had at it. I'm supposed to call Billy in 3 weeks and check-in with her re: to fill or not to fill. It was reassuring that he took so much time to really think over whether or not to fill me!