Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Doc Thinks I'm Nuts

Well this may be true but.........

I went for my 3rd fill today. I told my doctor that in the morning and lunch time I eat less than dinner and that it feels like the flood gates lift at dinner time. He gave me a look like I had a big zit at the end of my nose.

I shrugged my shoulders and said "what?" is this a mental issue or does this happen, can the band be looser at night. He said its definitely mental and I need to figure out what my issues were and why I eat more at night.

Those of you who experience the same thing..... do you think its mental?

was he being nice when he said it or was he talking to you like you had a zit on your brain?

No. You're not mental. This is a WIDELY experienced phenomenon that hasn't been very clearly explained, but you are not alone. My personal theory is that gravity works throughout the day to redistribute the fluids in our body, so that tissues near the band might thin out even while our ankles swell. Though the effect may not be visible, it only takes a little change in Fluid levels (whether in the band itself or in the tissues surrounding it) to change our perceived restriction.

People also report increased restriction in the morning, which IMO is the reverse happening. Lying down all night means fluid can settle higher up in our bodies, including in the tissues of the stomach.

We are made of Water, remember. And that water moving around is a powerful force. Eating more in the evening may only make it worse, since that can make us feel tighter in the morning and around and around you go. So try to even out your eating through the day so that you're not so hungry at night. More fill will NOT fix this, it's just something you have to learn to work with (or around).

i am brand new, so i cant say from personal experience. however, seems like i have read people discussing this phenomena occurring with the band. have you tried searching LBT for other people's experiences?

My doctors nurse was actually his first band patient. She holds the orientation pre-op. She said that she really doesn't feel like ever eating in the morning because her band is tight. By lunch time, after consuming fluids, she can eat and dinner she can eat. So, my understanding is that this is completely normal. I am very surprised that your Dr. thinks your nuts.

I brought it up to my doctor because I have read over and over again about people being able to eat bigger amounts at night (more so than during the day). I was quite surprised at his reaction too.

Thanks everyone for the reassurance that I'm not "totally" nuts :)

You're obviously a little nuts, but that has nothing to do with your band. :)

I'm also tight in the morning and wide open at night. Uh oh... maybe we're all going loopy!

That happens to me WITHOUT the band.

I must be nuts too.

Perhaps it has to do with blood sugar levels falling and hunger increases????

I'm only on my first fill and I have no restriction, so I'm not speaking from experience, but I do know that in the morning, all of my body is kind of swollen. Like, my rings are super tight in the morning and my ankles are a little swollen and my face is puffy. Could it be that our insides get swollen too and that's what causes morning restriction? By nighttime, my rings are loose, my face is not puffy, etc. Just a theory...

Hi NY chick,

Your doc needs to talk to some bandsters. It is a very common phenomenon. As Alex says our bodies are made of mostly Water and during the night we clog up a little. So until we get the juices flowing having more restriction in the morning and being wide open in the night is one of the biggest bandster challenges in defining what we eat and when. Evenings are when we are most vulnerable to eating more anyway and add to the fact that the band floodgates open too and you have a big problem.

THere are many theories about this. I really dont know many bandsters that have the same restriction all day long. Most are tighter inthe morning and looser in the evenings.

Babs in TX

334/180 ish

-154 ish

6/23/03

I always knew I was nuts, LOL. Now with the band I have something else to add......tighter in the morning, open at night. I thought it was just me.

I like throwing them a curv-ball every now and then :)

But really, when you think about it...... its a shame that they don't know what the hell they are talking about and its a shame that they don't get more involved with patients. Knuckleheads. Thank God I have this place.

Now let me go figure out my issues with dinner *rolling eyes*

How many band patients does he have? Sounds like he doesn't know much about being banded. This is so common it's not funny. Many people have to have something warm first like tea before they have Breakfast since they have more restriction in the morning. He should know this.