Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Endoscopy from hell

Well, I had the endoscopy today and it was worse then I thought it was. They didn't put me to sleep, they just sprayed some crap in my thoat, and my nose was plugged up, so I could hardly breath, I kept trying to throw the tube up, my nose was burning and my stomach was burning. It was really BAD. Worse then I had imagined. The doctor tried being kind by saying it was ok, but then after a few min he just yelled at me to stay still, I was crying and trying to tell them to take it out.

Now, I am completly upset, if I can't even handle this, how am I going to handle the surgery. I don't even know any more, I'm scared. The doctor told me to go eat afterwards, but my throat burned so much I could hardly swallow some juice. And to make matters worse, they used the BABY tube on me, thats right the smallest one they had! :think

And to top all that off, the doc said I have what looks like a bacterial infection in my tummy and he sent a sample to the lap. He said if it's a small infection then I can take some antibiotics and go ahead with the surgery, if its a big infection then I will have to go through some kind of treatment and he won't recommend me for the band until the treatment is over with. I'm suppose to go back in an hour to find out. Keep you fingers crossed for me. :cry

Sorry to hear that Kat, wow I have heard it both ways with being asleep or not.

Sounds like your dr is a total jerk and doesn't care what a patient feels. Ask him what if he had a tube in his...oh well nm can't say that on here!

Hope the infection clears up and you aren't put through anymore.

<fingers crossed>

It is so irritating that in this day and age when things can be done to keep patients comfortable, they insist on trying to save a penny or two and the heck with how it affects you.

I have had an endoscopy, they used that really nasty tasting spray, but then I was knocked out and woke up burbing my stomach out from all of the air they had pumped in. But I wasn't in pain or any serious discomfort, at least for this procedure. I can't say that about all the doctor's I have encountered, it's so much garbage, they should try the procedures themselves the way the would do it before being allowed to treat others that way.

So sorry you had to go through this nonsense and I hope a few pills will clear up any minor infection you may have. Is this the doctor who will be doing the lap procedure on you? If he is, you might want to check out another doctor. If he's not, then I really wouldn't worry about the surgery, you'll be fine, too many of us have gone through it and few with any really significant problems. I would be sure to let my surgeon know of my concerns regarding discomfort and pain, don't be afraid to let him know what your concerns are before hand.

Hope you're feeling better, please keep us posted on your progress.

Cindy

Oh, lord, K@t, that blows!! My recent endoscopy was a walk in the park compared to that! I had an IV and that was it--I was out almost from the start. No sprays, no problems breathing, I don't think I even saw the scope they were going to use on me. The anaesthesologist made me laugh (talking about the relative heights of my doctors) and that was all she wrote!

I guess there is a big savings not going that route, but there's still no reason for the patients to be uncomfortable. I will say that this doesn't portend any problems with your surgery--they WILL use general anaesthesia for that. You have every right to be distressed after that experience, but it doesn't mean surgery will be hard, necessarily.

Big hugs, K@t! It's over now, that's the good news. :hug:

That's horrible! I would have panicked for sure. I have always been put under for mine. I would demand NOT to have it done like that again, or go to someone who puts you under.

Thanks guys,

My throat is all red and inflamed now, but I guess its normal here not to put people to sleep for that. I will NOT do that again though. If they tell me I have to do another one I will refuse unless they put me to sleep, because I don't think I could handle that again.. I was literally hitting the wall behind me because I wanted the thing out. My tummy is still feeling all funny and I have this weird pain in my chest. I guess I'm just a big baby.

Good new is that there is no infection, I guess because I have been coughing a lot lately due to allergies, my tummy was a little inflamed, but the doc said nothing to worry about and he said that by surgery date it should be fine. Whew! :clap2:

Sorry K@T! That was really a tough one. I can't believe someone would attempt that on a poor patient without anesthesia. Shawn

So sorry you had to go through that! Surgery will be a piece of cake compared to that...I'm so thankful for general anesthesia! You won't know a thing and will just wake up and it'll all be over.

Emily

Here's to hoping.... my throat is still really sore and swollen, I managed some mashed (whipped actually) potatoes and blended strawberries. I have to teach tomorrow so I hope I don't have to talk to long. Hopefully most of the kids won't show up since it's so close to Easter. I still have this weird pain in my chest area as well, and to make matters worse my period started today as well......*sigh* next week will be better...I just know it!

You need to complain to the hospital. Not sedating you is completely against the usual national standards of care. Call the hospital and ask to speak to a patient representative or a risk manager.

Oh my, you poor thing. That is just barbaric !!!!! *shaking head*

Feel better soon and you will do just fine with the surgery.

Thats just awful, I'm so sorry for you! Why do you have to have that procedure anyway, my docter hasnt said anything to me about that!!!

fiveholts714: I think its common practice in Europe not to sedate people for that procedure because its so quick. My mother in law and father in law both did it and didn't have any kind of experience like I had. Another girl here on the forum from the Ceck Republic also said they didn't sedate her either. You would think at a minimum they could give me some happy gas! There were 2 things working against me I think. My nosed was plugged up from allergies, and since I was having a hard time breathing I was panicking and then it made it worse, and then also, I have a short neck, so it doesn't leave much wiggle room for the tube. Regardless, I know that I can't tolerate that procedure like that any way, if I ever need it again I will request to be sedated or they just won't do it.

CLOE: It's to make sure that your stomach and esophagus and lower stomach is all healthy so that there wont be any surprises come surgery day.

Every one else: Thanks so much for your support I felt a lot better after reading the posts. The surgery should go a lot smoother. I will know more on the 12th when I have me preop. I'm still having a bit of trouble with my throat today ,but than goodness only half my kids showed up today so I had them coloring and making easter cards. I didn't have to do to much talking. :nervous

I had an endoscopy done when I was in the hospital for my heart surgery (an ulcer acting up). They gave me some Versed, but not nearly enough. My liver laughs at little amounts of anything because I'm on Xanax, so it takes more medication. I felt everything, and I too was trying to throw up the (huge, very huge) tube that they were using. I finally threw a small fit and told them I could feel everything and wasn't feeling a bit of the Versed and explained that I took Xanax. They then said "oh, you require more happy juice", and I certainly did.

You mean they actually just sprayed your throat with something? That is inhuman.

yep, 2 tiny sprays that went mostly in my mouth not even on my throat, and then stuck it down, i immediately tried to throw it up and i started crying and my nose got all stopped up, the nurse was holding my head down and i was banging the wall behind me with my hand trying to tell them to take it out. They had me lay on my side on a bed and turn my head inward to open my throat up more. Then they stuck a white mouth piece in my mouth and down went the tube. The doctor acted like I was being a big baby, but it was horrible. I had asked if my husband could come in with me but they wouldn't let him. Now I know why, if he had seen that he probably would have panicked as well. He told me he was hearing me making noises out in the waiting room but the nurse at the desk just told him it was normal, and when he came in the room he saw me with my face all red and my eyes and nose swollen from the crying and gagging and he was asking what in the hell did they do to me.

But I don't get it because other people told me they did it with no problems. When I told my mother in law how horrible it was she just said she didn't get it because shes had it done twice and said it didn't bother her, and Hugo's grandfather said hes had it done 4 times. I couldn't ever do that again though, just thinking about it makes me sick....:sick