Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nausea/Acid Reflux

Hi All,

Its been a while since I have posted, but I check in daily to see whats new.

I have a big concern. I have been banded for 1 year and 4 months now and I was banded in TJ.

This past week am nauseaed, have a lot of gas and acid reflux really bad all of a sudden. I have not had a fill in about a year and was doing great. food seems really had to get down now. Any ideas....HELP!

Staci

Orlando FL

banded in TJ 12/14/04

Dr Lopez :faint:

I do NOT want to scare you, but those were my symptoms when I slipped. That probably is not the case for you, but you're going to want to see your fill doctor soon. In my case I was also throwing up and could not get ANY food and almost no liquid in so like I said, it's probably not slippage but you're going to want to get it checked.

Also, you're right at about time to get an endoscopy. It's probably a good

idea to get it done as soon as possible.

I hope you feel better soon! Let us know how you're doing.

Staci, your band is likely too tight for some reason, and the treatment will depend on the cause of the tightness. (Might you be pregnant? That would explain the nausea, and Water retention to boot.)

There are all sorts of reasons your band might suddenly feel more tight, and you should examine everything that's going on right now to help figure out why. Are you experiencing lots of allergies? Coming down with a cold? Have you been vomiting at all recently, or doing something else that might have caused a slip or hernia to get worse? Do you have a hernia that you know of?

If you can come up with a possible cause it could lead to the right treatment. Call your doctor and discuss it with him; testing might be required. A slip is just one possible cause, so there's no need to panic. Good luck and let us know how you're doing!!

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the input. I was up all last night with really bad gas, acid reflux and naseua. I just got off the phone with my lap doctor office here in Orlando and the office person told me to go ahead with my endoscope that I have scheduled for this Thursday and then to come see them the following Wednesday. This appointments seems so far off, and its pretty scary, I cant really eat or drink well at all. If it gets really bad I may just go to the ER (and it takes quite a bit to worry me, Im pretty tough) but YIKES!

Thanks for all the concern.

Staci

Orlando FL

banded in TJ 12/04

If you DO go to the ER, you might be able to get that endoscopy done a little sooner. Just make sure the doctor there knows you NEED it NOW. Then, if there is evidence of a big problem, you can get it addressed sooner.

NOW...what might happen if you call the office that HAS scheduled an endoscopy and tell them that you're afraid you'll end up in the ER with someone else doing it and you were counting on their expertise in this matter...and is there ANY way you can get in sooner. And if THEY see a problem, they can send you to the band doctor sooner.

From what I've read, the repositioning or removal surgeries are not usually a "do it now" kind of thing. But any change for the worse, like you've been dealing with, should be addressed asap, both for relief of symptoms and for your peace of mind.

I'm so sorry you're feeling so bad - I know exactly how you feel. My thoughts are with you today.

Did you tell your lap doctor that you think it's an emergency - that you need to be seen right away? I can't believe they're going to make you wait that long. The ER may not know how to help you - some do, some don't. I would try your lap doc again and push them a bit.

Good luck - let us know how you're doing.

Is an endoscopy part of the floow-up for lapband surgery?

Hi All,

Update...I went to my local lapband dr. late Friday. He let the Fluid all out of my band.(2cc) INSTANT RELIEF! I now have a upper GI scheduled for Tuesday and my endo for Thursday just to be sure. But I sure feel much better. I think something was stuck. I will update you all. Thanks!! ;)

Staci

Orlando FL

banded in TJ 12/04

Hi All.

Another update. I had a follow up Upper GI done this morning. The person that reads the xrays was in there with me for part of the tests and he said the band appeared to be in the correct place and that he saw no erosion. Of couse this is not a final read, but it sure sounds good to me.

I still have my endo scheduled for Thursday. I feel so much better!

Thanks again.

Staci

Orlando FL

banded in TJ 12/04