Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need Help,advise.

I was banded in June, I've lost 28 lbs but that was in the first 5-6 weeks when I was having a hard time getting anything down. After that I was able to eat anything. Since then I have gone up and down but staying within the same 6 lb range. I have had several fills with the last one being 2 weeks ago,I believe I have 4.5cc in a 10cc band. I stepped on the scale this morning and was up 3 lbs! The thing is one day I can eat something just fine and the next day it gets stuck, bad! Three times this week I have gotten stuck where it was 40 minutes of pain until it finally came up. And then later I can eat and it goes down fine. My question is if I'm not losing any weight should I get another fill? I'm afraid It will be to tight then as until this week I had only had 1 bad stuck episode and I knew it was because I had taken to big of a bite. I'm just at a loss of what to do and am getting so discouraged about this whole thing. What am I doing wrong? And I'm hungry ALL the time. Any advise?

I'm sorry you're struggling.

First, you need to remember that fills don't make you lose weight, burning more calories than you consume results in losing weight. All the fills are supposed to do is to allow you to go longer without hunger on less food.

You say sometimes you can eat and others you can't. Are you taking small enough bites and chewing thoroughly? Often people think their bites are small but in band life reality they're not small enough. My nutritionist always said bites should only be about the size of your fingernail.

How many calories a day are you consuming? Are you sticking to a cup or less of food per meal?

Really you should be discussing your "stuck" concerns with the Nurse advocate in the Surgeon's office that did the procedure. They know your medical history & can guide you in the right direction. I've been banded since Dec 2010 & can give you lots of suggestions, but bottom line "talk to your Doctor/Bariatrics Nurse"..... You will be just fine, but always listen to your Healthcare provider & never be afraid to even call them & ask questions, no question is a stupid question that's what they're trained for. You have a blessed Holiday & be safe.

Also tell them if you are hungry. I've gotten fills & three days later still hungry so I called the office & scheduled another appointment for the following week to get another fill. They always like to wait for at least a week to avoid too much play that can cause BAND slippage. I also have a 10cc band & have 8.3cc in mine, but the fills were done gradually over a 1yr & 11month period. Take it slowly, because if you rush things it may cause problems later. Also talk to the nutritionist.. Let me know how you make out & don't be afraid to call the office I do it & my Doctor told me he appreciated the fact that I voice my concerns & not wait until an issue would cause serious problems.

Personally I would be very very concerned about your stuck episodes. I am 2 and a half years out and can count my stuck episodes on 1 hand. I absolutely do not think that you need a fill if anything you may need an until. Some people keep their bands really tight because they think it should stop you from eating certain foods. My doctor does not hold that philosophy. If your band is in reality not too tight then my guess is you could be eating some foods that don't agree with you. Having a too tight band will lead you. to choosing slider foods that go down without getting stuck. Problem with slider Foods is 1 they tend to be higher in calories and 2 since they don't keep you full you eat more of them. This will lead to weight gain. In the years I've been on this site I've read more than enough postings of people who started to eat ice cream and shakes from McDonald's because they go down so easily.

I agree, but bottom line is talk to your Doctor/Bariatrics Nurse. Every person is different, different situations, & different physics. For example my Cousin is a Nurse had the Band & did everything by the book. She kept getting stuck & guess what her Band was a defect. She has since had it replaced 7months ago & everything is fine now. So Always Always talk to the professionals when things are going wrong with the band. Even a phone call where a Nurse will call you back. No question is a stupid one & your health is your LIFE!!!! Good Luck & Have a great Holiday.

I don't think you have enough fill while everyone is different I have a 10cc and at 3.5 I could eat anything.I am around 5 to 5.5 and I am not hungry and doing fine.

It may the reason that you are able somedays to eat and others not could be what you are eating sliders go down easy. If you eat the same thing at the same time and one day it stick and one it doesn't then look at what it is , how much chewing.. Everyone is afraid of the stuck , it happens to the best of us usually when we are in a hurry or just not paying attention.

You know in your heart what you have been doing so just go to the DR or PA and lay it out for them they are there to help you and get back on track. I can tell you this... eating the amount they tell you to 1 cup you will lose weight and if you do it with the right fill you will be able to do it with out stomach hunger. The head hunger well thats a different game and you have to dig in and love yourself through that. Best Wishes ..

Thanks everyone for the replys, I'm going to talk with the bariatric nurses this week. I eat around 1 to 1 1/2 cups a meal but I do have Snacks in between. This last week I have been staying to Protein Shakes, Unjury broth with noodles, and vegetarian refied Beans with cheese (I'm vegetarian so I do have a hard time getting enough Protein so I try to have the unjury everday) also evening snack has been the healthy choice frozen yogurt as all of that goes down well, so I'm probably eating to much of it, again I'm hungry :( I know I have to pay better attention to my bite size as I know I take bigger bites than the size of a fingernail and I tend to eat to fast and mindlessly as I do other things, it's been a lifelong habit that has been hard to break, I always do 5 other things as I eat. Sometimes it takes talking it out and hearing it from someone else to make me think of what I'm doing wrong, So glad this forum exists. Thanks everyone and Happy Thanksgiving. :)