Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hungry & need filled

I am almost 4 weeks post op. I can tell I am ready for a fill because I can eat like before the band. I am trying to watch it, but I got my band for a reason (I like to eat). I have lost 36 lbs in 3 weeks, but have gained 4 back in the last week. ANy help out there?

When are you scheduled for a fill? Is it pure quantity that you're struggling with -- are you making good food choices?

It's highly unlikely you've gained 4# of fat in one week. Perhaps you were in ketosis and it broke from carb intake? Breaking ketosis can cause the initial Water weight loss to come back like *that*. Sudden gains are most likely to be fluid-related.

Hang in there is all I can say, you're doing great already!! It is really hard not to be hungry, everyone I've talked to, and myself, felt the exact same way after a few weeks post-op. Once you finally do get the fills started, you'll see the difference. It has actually taken me several fills to get the kind of restriction that I hoped for, but even with less, lost a decent 6 - 8 lbs. per month. ( I was secretly hoping for a LOT more..haha...but, that isn't really the best way I reckon)

Just try not to overeat alot, and realize that you've no doubt cut down more than you know, look at the weight loss already. Oh yeah, one more thing, everyone I know also gained a few pounds back too, but lost them later..(so don't despair)

Hi to all!

I was banded on 1/19/06. I have had to wait for a fill because of a port

infection I have had. They say tomarrow is going to be the day. I am nervously excited. I really need this fill because I feel like I want to eat everything I see. I am not hungry but my appitite is absolutely ferocious.

I can pretty much eat anything I want to until a point then I am full. However, that is still too much. I have been trying to control myself and keep the brakes on myself but I need to be honest and say it hasn't always been a successful thing. I also know if I could have controled myself I would never have to go have a band put in. Anyone else understand where I am coming from. The floks who say they have totally lost their desire food on this web site just blow my mind. Envy, Envy,Envy.

Anyway, my question for those of you who have already been filled, Do I need to fast tomarrow morning and not eat anything? I understand the no eating solids after. He told me that. I just forgot to ask about the before time and he never said anything. I am so excited to finally get on to the next step I don't want anything to hold up progress any longer.

Thanks to anyone who has any info.

Darlene

i am in the same boat, banded 3 weeks ago yesterday, and i am STARVING...!!! I am trying to keep my calories to 1000-1200 but i am about to hit my limit. i am scheduled for my first fill next wednesday...just eight more days!!!

I'm with ya dongger. I'm 4 weeks out and I let my tummy growl a lot these days. And last night I finally got so hungry I caved into temptation and ate lasagna that was being served at my meeting...even though I had a healthier dinner packed.

If you find anything that helps, let me know. I have considered calling my doc to ask for phenteramine, but I doubt she'd prescribe it.

:ban: Kristin

Gosh, I am hoping a fill will help. I wanted to go to a support group meeting in Bismarck tonight but I have a bit of a cold and decided for now the rest was more important. It is about 112 miles from where I live and would have been late when I got home. I need to find positive, I can do this sekf talk from someplace. Instead I keep hearing from the food. I hear if you avoid useless carbs, white sugar and flour it get better. My problem? I can't seem to get far enough along in that to see any diff. I am sorry I am not much help. Sounds like you have done well. I think the meeting I was gonna go to was to be on accountablility. I thought it was just what I should have been hearing for now. Good luck to you!! I am so ready for tomarrow. D

Thanks for all of the replies. I am seeing a small weight gain. I think it might be that I am walking 2-3 miles per day and maybe i'm turning on some muscle growth. I am a big strong guy by nature and gain muscle weight real easy. I guess I just need to watch what I eat and keep walking.

Try eating some mash potatoes or oatmeal. My doctor put me on soft foods after 2 weeks and I had my first fill after 5 weeks. It may take several fills before the hunger really goes away and yes your stomach will growl alot even if your not hungery.

Angie

3-15-04

-110lbs goal

I've still got a lot of head issues to work on, I've found out since I have no restriction. I ate pizza today. 2 slices with no problem. Probably in less than 10 minutes.

I just hope that the fill will work and I haven't spent $11,000 in vain. I just need the help I was getting from the band before the swelling went down. Now I'm staying so hungry and I never get full. It's just like it was before surgery. Tell me this gets better?

I am going on 4 months and I just can't seem to hit that sweet spot and not sure what that is anymore. I can eat anything, I have 2cc in and still hungry, I feel the same way, did I go thru all this for nothing and still fighting the food issue. What is everyone at, I know everyone is different but does anyone else have more than 2cc?

I had my first fill yesterday. Upon talking to the doc about head hunger, he says all avenues need to be worked on. He said it depends on the size of band used as to how much fill can be put in. He says he usually ends up using a large band. I have a large one. He said there is lots of room for fill. He also says it is best to take a slow approach to fills because of inflamation the comes with the fills. It can be bad because the band can almost close if the inflamation gets too much. I have another appointment next month.

I have head issues big time. I even stuggled big time last night to eat things I shouldn't. I was on liquids yesterday because of the fill and wanted to eat stuff. I did find I was restricted when I tried to swallow my

Soup if I drank too much too fast. that was encouaging. Will post how today goes. I can have anything I would normally eat just not anything with alot of roughage. Thanks to all who are interested in supporting those of us who are still struggling to change life long bad habits. I think the first thing we all need to remember. We are not bad people. We are good people with a bad eating habit. Habits CAN (and will) be changed with hard work and time and most of all a forgiving attitude for ourselves when we fail. Rome was not built in a day you know.

My doc says the band is a tool not a magic bullet. I, for today will use my tool to the best of my ability. Good luck to you all.

Darlene

It may take several fills before not having that hungry feeling any longer. I had 4 or 5 fills in an 8 month period until it finally stopped and the weight began to really come off. I have a 4cc band but until I had 3.5ccs in my band I continued to have the hunger pains. Some do fine at 2 ccs others more or less. You think you do not know where your "sweet spot" is but when you have enough in your band and the weight comes off I think then you will really be happy. This is a slow process but keep up your spirits and the weight should come off.

Angie C

Well, I made it whrough the day. I went to work and a meeting with Hor doures. I ate very slowly and was totally happy with a small plate of food. Amazing how little it took to make me feel full. I still want to graze and feed myself since I am home again but for now I am holding firm. Today I am so happy with my fill and band. I also just heard about the support group here in my home town. I had my surgery in another town and didn't realize there was a group here. I will go to the meeting next month. It was last night. All is good!!

Darlene

I am FINALLY getting my first fill on Tuesday, about 7 weeks after banding. I can eat anything now (except bread is still a problem) and I relly need that restriction. So I can relate.