Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Post - 5 days post-op

Hi Everyone,

On Thursday evening (3/30/06), I had gastric lap-banding. After an esophagram on Friday morning, I was given a clear liquid diet and sent home. Although I have a total of six (6) incisions, the only place I had pain was on the left side and the pain has now been replaced by a soreness. The most difficult challenge I have is not being able to sleep on my left side. I gave it a try last night and wanted to die. LOL. Can anyone tell me when they felt OK and experienced a good night's sleep?

I was on a full Fluid diet one week pre-op and am on that same diet post-op. The only difference is that I consume 4 medifast shakes a day as opposed to 2 a day pre-op. The diet is boring and I have trouble getting all the liquids in. Any pointers?

I look forward to learning from you all and being supportive in your weight loss efforts. Thank you.

Elisabeth :ban:

Congrat on the band. Sound like your on your way to a healthy lifestyle . Hang in there and keep posting...!! You need to get your ticker going so we (non banders) can see how your doing.

How do I get my ticker going? :ban: I'm a registered nurse but fail when it comes to computer skills. :help: LOL. My surgery was 3/30/06 and I see my MD for the first post-op visit on 4/14.

Elisabeth

Can anyone tell me when they felt OK and experienced a good night's sleep? I was on a full Fluid diet one week pre-op and am on that same diet post-op. The only difference is that I consume 4 medifast shakes a day as opposed to 2 a day pre-op. The diet is boring and I have trouble getting all the liquids in. Any pointers?

I slept in a recliner the first two nights. The third night I slept on my back in our bed, which killed me b/c I'm a slide sleeper (actually I'm a side-to-side sleeper, so I'm flipping from one side to another throughout the night). The fourth night I could sleep on my right side (most incisions are on the left) if I used a pillow propped under my stomach for support. It hurt to do this, but once I actually got in the position I felt OK. I think it was around my 7th night post-op that I could sleep on my sides w/o pillow, but sometimes I would feel tender in my port area when I first laid down, or if I had been in the same position for too long (e.g. it hurt when I woke up).

I'm now over 5 weeks post-op and have been sleeping as I normally would. I think after about the 10th or 12th night I was sleeping normally. Every now and then still my port area will get a little tender during my sleep, I assume because the way I'm laying is putting some pressure on the muscle it's embedded in, but it's nothing that really hurts, and nothing I'm concerned about.

I'm not sure what the specs of your post-op diet are so it's hard to give pointers, but as for fluids - have a bottle of Water with you constantly. I have started keeping one in my car at all times, on my nightstand, even in my purse if I'm going out. I'm a Water drinker anyway, so this is no problem for me. If you're not a water drinker, try some flavored waters (Danon Orange Splash is one of the better ones, IMO... and Fruit2O strawberry isn't bad). Crystal Light makes 2 Go packets you can just add to a 16.9 bottle of water. There's another brand, something like "EnerFull", that's similar to the Crystal Light only it has Vitamins added... too sweet for my taste though.

Thank you for sharing your experiences sleeping. Like you, I flip from one side to another and have not had a good night's sleep since my first night home after surgery. I am exhausted today and am hoping tonight I will get some decent rest.

At this point, I have no appetite but do have a 24 oz bottle of Water with me at all times. I am taking Tylenol ES twice a day and have been out walking the past two days. I'm going to give Crystal Lite a try. It seems the longer I am drinking the Medifast shakes, the less I like them.

I appreciate you taking the time to share you experiences.

I was banded 3-30 also. I am still sore but I was able to sleep on my side as of Sunday. Went back to work today but couldn't last past 2:00.

I am very aware of the rules for posting a message here. Please realize that I'm only looking for support. If there is anyone out there that hasn't lost weight with the lapband or is experiencing fainting spells, heart palpitations, inability to eat anything but full liquids even with the band fully deflated, problems with blood pressure. Then I need to talk.

I was banded Sept. 9th, 2005. I have been through it, but I can't say any more due to the rules for posting. My BMI was barely 35. I weighed 190-195 in Sept. I weigh 190 now. I eat 200-500 calories a day, no lie.

I realize that my case is unique, but I would never advise someone to endure what I have gone through. I've always eaten healthy and been an exercise fanatic, when I became sick at age 40 and gained loads of weight without additional caloric intake. I have seen many doctors and can't find the problem. I worked with a nutritionist for over 1 year and she said that she couldn't tweek my eating. Every one says I need to eat more food, then I got banded and I am suffering from all of the above.

I am scared for my life.

Please help

singer1:help:

I am so very sorry to hear of your bad experience. Based on what you have written, it sounds like you need to continue seeking out medical opinions until you get an answer. Have you had a total body scan, seen an endocrinologist, been evaluated for electrophysiological studies for your heart arrhythmias, been to a hematologist to rule out cancer, etc. (the RN in me is coming out)? Perhaps you should have the band removed?

I hope you find answers so that you can regain your health. Keep me posted.

I was banded 3-30 also. I am still sore but I was able to sleep on my side as of Sunday. Went back to work today but couldn't last past 2:00.

I give you a lot of credit for going back to work so early. My surgeon won't let me go back until 4/12. The way I feel now, I would not be able to survive a 12 hour shift. LOL. Best of luck to you on your weight loss.

Elisabeth

About day 8 you can begin to sleep better. I am down 25 lbs and am 1 month post-op. I feel great and can eat everthing except bread products. Only much much less now. I take liqid vits and am excited about being able to work out. That has never been something I would want to do. Hang in there it gets so rewarding soon.

I have gone down 2 sizes and cant wait to go to the beach in a bathing suit looking fab by this time next year.

Brandy

I was banded on 3/9. Finally I can sleep on my left side! I haven't lost that much but am waiting for my 1st fill on 4/21. when i left the hospital i thought i would never get to the point of sleeping on my left side and more importantly the pain on my left side ending. it still bugs once in a while but nothing like before. I went back to work in a week. i was tired but it was better the 2nd week. Hang in there.

I am very aware of the rules for posting a message here. Please realize that I'm only looking for support. If there is anyone out there that hasn't lost weight with the lapband or is experiencing fainting spells, heart palpitations, inability to eat anything but full liquids even with the band fully deflated, problems with blood pressure. Then I need to talk.

I was banded Sept. 9th, 2005. I have been through it, but I can't say any more due to the rules for posting. My BMI was barely 35. I weighed 190-195 in Sept. I weigh 190 now. I eat 200-500 calories a day, no lie.

I realize that my case is unique, but I would never advise someone to endure what I have gone through. I've always eaten healthy and been an exercise fanatic, when I became sick at age 40 and gained loads of weight without additional caloric intake. I have seen many doctors and can't find the problem. I worked with a nutritionist for over 1 year and she said that she couldn't tweek my eating. Every one says I need to eat more food, then I got banded and I am suffering from all of the above.

I am scared for my life.

Please help

singer1:help:

I am so sorry you are suffering like this. I am pre-op so I have nothing to add that would be helpful except for you to continue to pursue medical help. Is it possible that you are not eating enough and your body has gone into starvation mode? You didn't mention how tall you are, if your tall 190 isn't bad. BTW, I didn't know there were rules for posting here, what are they? I hope someone sees this and is able to give you good advise.

God bless

Roberta

About day 8 you can begin to sleep better. I am down 25 lbs and am 1 month post-op. I feel great and can eat everthing except bread products. Only much much less now. I take liqid vits and am excited about being able to work out. That has never been something I would want to do. Hang in there it gets so rewarding soon.

I have gone down 2 sizes and cant wait to go to the beach in a bathing suit looking fab by this time next year.

Brandy

Congratulations on your GREAT progress. They weighed me just prior to going into surgery and then the AM after... a gain of 5 pounds did not make me happy but they warned me. I have my first real post-op weigh-in on 4/14 and am anxious to see how I do. Thank you for the sleeping info. I dread going to bed.

Elisabeth

I was banded on 3/9. Finally I can sleep on my left side! I haven't lost that much but am waiting for my 1st fill on 4/21. when i left the hospital i thought i would never get to the point of sleeping on my left side and more importantly the pain on my left side ending. it still bugs once in a while but nothing like before. I went back to work in a week. i was tired but it was better the 2nd week. Hang in there.

Thank you so much for responding. I had a lap cholestectomy (gall bladder) 4 years ago and it seemed MUCH easier than this. Tonight, I sneezed and wanted to die. LOL. Knowing that what I am experiencing is "normal" really helps.

Elisabeth

singer1,

I'm not sure what rules you're referring to but you'll probably get a bigger response if you start your own thread. More people will see it and comment if you start a separate thread. Sorry to hear about your problems, my best suggestion is to call your doctor as soon as possible. Heart palpitations and faiting spells MORE than justify a trip to the doctor's office. Good luck and I hope you feel better soon.

Elizabethsew! Great name, do you sew? There aren't many people that do these days.

I slept in bed from the first night post op and was able to sleep on my side at about 3 days, was comfortable at about 5 days, and didn't really think about it after 8 or 9 days.

I'm not a big fan of MediFast. The Protein I'm using is called Body Fortress - you can find it all Wal-Mart for about $17 for a big 'tub' of it! The one I buy is the vanilla flavor and I mix two scoops (40 grams of protein) in 1 1/2 cups of fat free milk, 3 tablespoons of fat free, sugar free chocolate pudding and 1 tablespoon of reduced fat Peanut Butter and blend it up for a minute or so. The Protein mixes easily but the Peanut Butter takes a minute to blend in completely. It tastes like drinking a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup. Mmmmm. It IS higher in carbs and fat because of the add-ins so I alternate days with my protein cocktail on one day and Isopure clear (50 grams of protein, 0 grams of carbs) the next day. I really look forward to the protein mix days! lol Onother good thing to eat if you're on full liquids is blended Cream of chicken and Mushroom Soup from Campbell's. Mmmmm.

I'm on mushies now (I was banded on March 7th) and I'm learning to chew, chew, chew and when I'm done chewing . . . chew a little bit more and even then only swallow a little bit at a time. It's funny how old habits die hard. I've been on mushies for a week now and today was the first day I wasn't just CONCENTRATING when I ate and before the 2nd bite I had swallowed a piece that was too big. It went down but my band let me know on the way that it wasn't happy about it. At least there was no PB. Whew.

Congratulations on getting your band and good luck to you on your weight loss journey. Let us know a little bit more about you, maybe set up your "signature" in User CP so we can keep up with you.