Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thinking About The Lapband..

Hello everyone. I am 37 yrs old fashion stylist and i just got married. Im just starting my research and I am in need of a way to help me get this weight off. I have struggled with my weight all my life and its time to change that. My husbnd is supporting me. Im terrified about surgery n anesthesia. IN the world of fashion image is everything. Im not feeling good about myself right now.

Welcome.....the band is a big step.....glad to see you are being thoughtful and doing your research . How much weight do you need to lose?

Though in my 50s, I was in a similar position to yours four years ago. I had always had a weight problem, but it got to the point where I was 100 lbs. overweight and uncomfortable physically, psychologically and emotionally. My feelings about my good marriage, successful career and wonderful son were "outweighed" by my insecurity and displeasure about my appearance. After doing a significant amount of research, I had lapband surgery -- despite fears of anesthesia and recovery, whether it/I would be successful, and, if so, whether I'd gain the weight back after I lost it. It hasn't been easy, but I'm down 85 lbs. (I lost 45 lbs. the first year, and an average of 10 lbs. each of the following three years), and getting the lapband is one of the best decisions I've ever made. It's a tool, not a solution, but it has helped me slowly and safely go from a size 20 to a size 12. I'm no longer embarrassed about my appearance, and I got over my fear of anesthesia to have a well-deserved Tummy Tuck and brachioplasty to remove the excess skin resulting from my weight loss. If you're stuck and really feel you need the kind of help that willpower, Weight Watchers, exercise and therapy haven't provided, read the stories on this site; I think you'll find them useful and inspiring. Good luck!

Thank you so much for your welcome and encouraging words.

Welcome.....the band is a big step.....glad to see you are being thoughtful and doing your research . How much weight do you need to lose?

Floridays has good points.... The band is a huge step and is not for everyone. You have to be fully committed to doing what ever it take..... For me it was going to the gym 5 days a week and walking in my neighborhood everyday. It was also, giving up some of my most favorite foods....See i was a carb addict..... I loved bread, rice, spaghetti, pizza, hamburgers.... Being from the south where our lives are all about the food.... Example of a meal: Shrimp Stew (which is made with flour and oil) is then poured over rice and served with potato salad.... with bread on the side.... No wonder i was 223#. Anyway, those are some of the things I can't eat.... but NO TWO BANDERS ARE THE SAME....

also, as with her question, how much do you have to lose? I don't recommend it for people with under 50lbs. But that's just my opinion.

I too had lost 80lbs and at my two year and two month mark and after my weight loss has be stable, i had a Tummy Tuck to remove the apron. 100% happy with my band and 100% happy with my TT.

Good luck too you and what ever you decide.

Stop thinking and do what is right for you! There are a lot more reasons than style to get yourself to a healthy weight.

I am currently 281 lbs and I am 5'8. I went to the doctor on last week and my BMI is 45. As you all know that is too high. My health is far more important than my style. You are absolutely right. I have started exercising in the morning because I don't like the way all of this weight feels on my body. I'm not comfortable. I need to lose a total of 121 lbs. My goal weight is 160 lbs.

@ Bayougirl I know what you mean about being a carb lover. That is me all the way. But I am changin my ways....I want to have kids soon and I need to get this weight off. I know one of the things the doctor will tell me in helping me concieve is to lose weight, so I am willing to work at it because now is the time.

I wish you all the best..... continue your research. Look into the sleeve too. I love my band, i just didn't love having to go to the dr. and get fills. and i don't like the idea about erosion and slips... etc. That scares me. My current insurance does not cover WLS, so if anything goes wrong... i'm on my own. I personally would not do the Gastric Bypass.... too scary for me. And it has a higher re weight gain than any of the surgeries.... Look into them all and talk to your doctor and really think about the changes you will have to make for a life time. It's not like weight watchers were you can just stop counting point and not weight in.... or Jenny and stop buying her food.... This is forever.... I haven't had a hamburger on bun in three years.... or a deep dish slice of pizza.. But it's all worth it.

Saturday will be my three year anniversary... and i LOVE the new me.

Get healthy for you and your future family..... All the rest is just "icing on the cake" so to speak....

One more thing.... you also have to take into consideration how this will not only effect you, but your entire family..... My husband didn't want me to get the band at all and still make remarks about it. He was very secure with me at 223#. He knew that at that weight i had no self confidence and most men would not take a second look at me... Now he has a hard time with the size 6 Christina and has even said that losing weight was the worse thing that happened to us... He hates when other men look at me and feels like one day i will get a better "offer" and leave him.... On the other hand.. he loves the new me in Private... loves the more energy me, the more sexual me, the more confident me...but only in private. My daughter in law (whom i love very much) had a hard time with my weight loss. She was jealous of it, and still is... but it's getting better. My Sister in law, that had the band done in Mexico two years before me, gained weight with the band... (three weeks ago had GB) will not come around me if my brother was with her. He would com pair she and i and say..... why can't you lose weight... my sister did. Which was wrong on his part, but it's what happened.

Be prepared to lose friends.... your fat friends won't want to be around you because you will be thinner and will be jealous of you and your thinner friends will start sabotaging you, because they will fear you... no longer will you be "the fat friend".... They will say things like... how much weight are you planning on losing... your getting too thin. Your face is sunk in... You want to come eat ice-cream... a little bit won't hurt.....

So you will start getting the attention of being the thin girl in the fat group and the pretty thin girl in the thin group....

I don't think what other people say or think should have anything to do with a decision to make your life better. Be selfish... this one is for you!

Hello everyone. I am 37 yrs old fashion stylist and i just got married. Im just starting my research and I am in need of a way to help me get this weight off. I have struggled with my weight all my life and its time to change that. My husbnd is supporting me. Im terrified about surgery n anesthesia. IN the world of fashion image is everything. Im not feeling good about myself right now.

I'm in the same boat- just starting the journey. I have struggled my whole life. My youngest is 12 and I have never been able to get the weight off. While my husband never says anything about my weight I am extremely aware of it. I don't feel attractive in the least. It affects me in so many ways:( I am 5'8 at 230lbs. My biggest fear is the surgery Nd anesthia itself as well! I cannot stand to be put to sleep!

Just because you want to be banded.Doesnt mean you have to give up all of your favorite foods.You just have to eat sensibly and know your limits with your band.This band will limit the amount you eat

Just because you want to be banded.Doesnt mean you have to give up all of your favorite foods.You just have to eat sensibly and know your limits with your band.This band will limit the amount you eat

Maybe during the maintaining stage...but until then during the losing phase you need to count your calories, measure your portions and stay away from fatty food, sweets, fried food and alcohol. If you don't your loss will be pretty darn slow and you will become frustrated and have more chance to fail.

Welcome welcome lol. I've been banded since 12/22/10 & soooo very happy that I made that decision. Just do your research , & go to a support group meeting if you have to & this way you can be "all ears" & get pamphlets etc. Thats what I did. Good Luck with whatever you decide.

I'm still up I guess I'm nervous about my surgery tomorrow. At 9am. Wonder how long the surgery takes? I'm new on this site so all info is good for me thanks for all the help