Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Disheartened about sizes

Hi,

SIzes are soooo confusing. I am 5'9/260 and wear a size 18W.:straight When I was 185 (many, many years ago) I wore a size 12 or 14. So I guess it all depends on your height and build. All of the replies sure support that theory!:)

dont be discouraged...keep your head up and keep striving.....it will happen for you....trust me I am 210lbs and wear 16/18 in womens and im still striving to just wear a normal 16/18.....i have had my band since Nov. 2004...so im still striving for a better weightloss as well....I am very thankful of what I have already lost which is 86lbs and I am just now in the routine of doing the other right things, like exercise and eating better.....

dont lose faith.....keep working at it, we are all different so dont let someone else body bring you down......

cynthia

Wow, glad I'm not the only one who doesn't get the clothing size thing.

My highest weight was 289 and I could wear what I do now, which is a 22, but it was SNUG in the waist, the hips and legs hang off of me.

I can tell after my youngest daughter was born, I gained only in my front stomach and arms ugh! I could wear shirts 2 sizes smaller if it weren't for my arms and 2-3 sizes smaller pants/shorts if my waist were smaller

I hate sizes. Really. They vary so much. I want to be able to buy something in a regular store just once in my life. But I also realize that I am 5'11" and have a large frame. So that may never happen even when i am at a reasonable weight. You are right that it is discouraging, but I'll bet you look great.

I've learned not to care about sizes. I worked for a Fashion Bug Plus for a few years, and that same size in different labels in their own store varied in fit.

Another thing to remember for some of, we probably aren't supposed to get down to a small size. My frame is very petite, and as a teenager my target size was a 9. Now, of course, I am 33 and everything has changed. I have no idea what my size "should" be, but I am certain that it's no longer a 9!

I've never had children, but I hear that the body changes after pregancy, too. A friend if mine found that her shoe size went up permanently, even when she lost the baby weight.

I think that clothing has been one of the most frustrating things for me, so far. I started out a 22/24, tight by the way and then as they started to hang on me, I started buying 20's. Then they started to hang on me, so 18W here I come.....I was comfortable with the 18W, but then where do I go when that started getting loose? Right now, sometimes 16W fit, sometimes they don't. Sometimes I can find clothes in the "normal" section that fit, sometimes theyr'e too tight. I'm so confused. I hate trying on clothes in the dressing room, having them be too tight and feeling embarassed that I was too stupid to know my own size. Or worse, that people think because technically I'm still fat, I'm deluding myself about my large size.

So, chin up. You're not alone in the clothing battle. I think even the "beautiful people" have this problem. At least that's what I tell myself when I can't even get a pair of jeans up one generously porportioned thigh.

You know that not all brands are standardized fits. I have clothes that range from 18 to 26. It really can be frustrating when I shop. Dint think about the size numbers. you body will continue to compact after you stop loosing weight. THAT will be amazing! The stretchy clothes that I bought for comfort are the ones that are a bigger size, and I can still wear them. But I feel so much better and the fits are better too. Please dint focus on the size numbers. Its hard I know because we want gratification to remain motivated. I guess I can say that I want microwave solutions for slow cook recipes. Give yourself a pat on the back, your weight loss is great!!!

I have been dealing with this same thing since being banded. I am almost 6" tall and now weigh 217lbs. I started out wearing sizes 20W & 22W and now my regular 16's are to big and the 14 are to tight, but I wear a regular 18 in jeans and 16W in pants (for the length), can you believe that!

I have been gifted with pooty, hips and big arms, and I'm hateing the big arms part. I have such a difficult time buying blouses because the 14 fit's nicely except the arms and the 16's are to big so I try 14W to help in that area.

A while back, I went out looking for a black suit for an occasion and I was so fustrated that I could have screamed. I felt like I didn't belong in the regular sizes (RS) and the plus sizes (PS) were to big. Half of the time, I don't know if I should lokk in a PS or a RS store. I don't like sales people looking at me like I don't belong.

My DH (and neither do I) doesn't like baggy clothes so it's been hard in that area. I can't wait until I can just get out of PS all together.

It's good to know I am not swimming alone.;)

Clothes sizes are the one thing that makes me want to tear my hair out!! My best friend and I kvetch about this ALL the time...

I'm short (5'1" on a good day) - my best friend is 5'4"...

(We've both had WLS 1 week apart - she's RNY though).

At our surgery date, I was 248 wearing a tight 24.

She was 287 and wearing a tight 24.

Today, I'm 224 and STILL wearing 24 (loose, but not small enough for a 22 yet). She's down to 200 lbs and is fitting into a 16.

Hi,

I think most of us here can relate. I went from a tight size 28 to a 14W, 14, 16 . I had a TT last august and did not lose a size. I am still in a 14/16 and I actually feel really fat somedays. Since the TT, I can see more difficiences in other places (Like my huge thighs). Now I know why once under the knife (PS) its easy to consider it again...... Maybe I can have my thighs liposuctioned the next time.... Sh#%#$%$, I am actually considering this....

Babs in TX

334/180ish

-150 ish

I'm going through this as well, I went from 243lbs, size 16 down to 199lbs same size, only difference is that my shirt size went from xl to medium, the only thing I am loosing are the twins... Can't wait till I go down a pant size.

I have a pair of llined navy blue wool and cashmere pants which I didn't quite make it into this past winter. They are a very small 18W. I have a pair of tan capris from Dress Barn, 14W. Can you believe this?:faint:

They are the same exact size!!! Go figure. The capris are actually every so slightly biggger and they fit. I am going to wear the capris with the tags on!!! HAHAHA:whoo: