Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Frustrated No Restriction! Large Band???

Hey everyone I am 5 months post op I have lost a total of 62 lbs pre op and post op included. My band is large about 14ccs...My issue is no restriction. When I first had surgery I was swollen so I couldn't eat much and I was losing weight. I had about 4 fills already about 1cc each plus the 2 ccs from surgery. So I have about 6 maybe 6.5 ccs in my band right now. Since the swelling of surgery went down I feel I have absolutely no restriction. I think the swelling gave me a false sense of restriction...because I managed to stick to the three small meal diet because I wasnt hungry so the weight continued to go down. Now Im noticing I'm starting to feel hungry quickly and the small meals aren't satisfying me for the 4 hrs..I supplemented with Protein Shakes but I'm still starving. With this last fill I thought it may help but it still hasn't. I've notices the scale slowly climbing and I'm starting to get worried anybody else with a large band have this problem I don't know if its because my band is so large or something else but as these few pounds start to creep back I'm really starting to get frustrated I can tell you that with each fill I never felt restriction at all .I asked my doctor for more than 1.5 the last visit but she wouldn't give me more :-( that was about 5 weeks ago and I left the appointment feeling absolutely no restriction as usual. I have an appointment Thursday and I pray that I can get a little more than 1cc because I really need the help

It's a frustrating process, you definitely need more fill to get to green zone. Hopefully you're close. I was there for two whole weeks and this last week I've noticed I've slipped out if the zone. I seem to be loosing a lot ofy weight Fromm tummy area do that's affecting my fills. I'm going in this Tuesday for another very small fill to get me back in the zone.

Hang in there, there is no magic amount of fill that is the same for everyone. Some people are fine with a few cc's others need more.

Fingers crossed you get your full next appointment and it makes a difference for you.

Great weightloss so far too!!

I am at 8.5 and finally at the "green zone". It took me over a year to get there. My previous fills would work for 4-6 weeks and then I would need more. This last fill has worked for over 4 months! Now I have to focus on eating the right foods!

It does seem like the bigger bands need more fill before you reach optimal restriction. I would try talking to your surgeon again about your frustration and do your best to negotiate a bigger fill, but keep in mind that as you get more and more fill in your band, you'll need smaller and smaller fills to reach the infamous green zone. And as impatient as most of us get to find the green zone, getting huge fills is a bad idea because of the potential for eating problems, side effects, and complications.

Hang i there!

Thanks everyone for the advice and well wishes! I will talk to my doctor and see if It is possible to get a smidge more than usual and hopefully that will help some.

I also have a 14cc band and have been in and out of the green zone as I have lost weight. Currently I am out of it but I get another fill next week which will give me 10cc. Just hang in there and don't forget why you did this. Good luck.

PS: my doc has never given me more than 1cc at a time.

It does seem like the bigger bands need more fill before you reach optimal restriction. I would try talking to your surgeon again about your frustration and do your best to negotiate a bigger fill' date=' but keep in mind that as you get more and more fill in your band, you'll need smaller and smaller fills to reach the infamous green zone. And as impatient as most of us get to find the green zone, getting huge fills is a bad idea because of the potential for eating problems, side effects, and complications.

Hang i there![/quote']

What is the green zone!

What is the green zone!

At the mioment, I can't remember how to put a picture into a post, but here's a link to a green zone chart. Briefly, the green zone is where your restriction is providing early and prolonged satiety and reducing your appetite and hunger.

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/uploads/gallery/album_10295/gallery_229179_10295_276667.jpg