Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I need some advice

Okay...my fellow lapbanders...whom I have come to love so much!!!!:kiss2:

I go for my 1st fill on April 13th....I did self pay so my first fill is free and they are $50.00 after that (I have no insurance) I am NOT cheap and DONT care to pay the $50.00 after my 1st one as I knew this going into having the lapband etc but I live 3 hours away from my doctor so here is my question:

How much does most people get on their first fill???? I know that it is up to the doc etc...and that he will be the one to make the decision BUT I am concerned I guess or wondering more or less about getting my first fill and feeling very little restriction and then having to make the 3 hour journey back to his office in 2 weeks or whatever to get more of a fill and then paying another 50.00 etc....PLEASE dont misunderstand...I am not complaining about the money or the trip as it is well worth it BUT...seeing as how my 1st one is free..I want to make sure I get ENOUGH of a fill to feel some restriction..another lady I know said that he didnt put but a very little in hers the first time and then she was back 2 weeks later getting more of a fill...its a long journey when you are having to take off work to go and I just want to get a good restriction the first time...just need some ideas of how this works as I am only 3 weeks out....

Thanks so much

xo

Carla

:banana

Down 26lbs this morning in 3 weeks...WOW...I am loving my band

Let me just say in my personal opinion, it's much worse to be over filled than not enough. My year of free fills are up, so yesterday, I got .2 cc of a fill under flouro and it was $360.00. I just hope it's not too much, what would be worse than paying that much is having to pay to have some removed. I've been on liquids, haven't tried real food yet, haven't really wanted anything, so maybe it's working.

Take your time, trust your doctor's judgement.

I am not banded yet, but I think that $50.00 for a fill anywhere (if you don't have insurance) is a great deal. They are usually much more than that. I can absolutely relate to you having to travel so far. That is a long distance, but I would certainly hate to see you get too much of a fill and be back within the week to have to have an unfill. I agree with the above poster. I'm glad your first fill is free, because usually that is done under fluoro, although some dr's. use them for all fills. Let the dr. do his job and try and be less anxious. It is definitely a nuisance to have to take off work and travel long distances, but it is also better to be safe than sorry in the long run.

360.00 WOW...that is alot for a fill.....glad mine is only 50.00 he does that for self pay....insurance patients is 250.00.....

but at least you got your first year free....I was thinking that as well...the point of the band is to have restriction and I am worried that I just wont have any the first time and have to take off work another day to go for more of a fill...3 hours up and then 3 hours back takes the entire workday....I plan on talking to him about it and explaining the situation so that he knows that I do want to feel a restriction...I seen on there harley where you said you had an unfill and ahhhhhh relief...what was happening that you knew you needed a unfill..just curious..again I am new...

Thanks so much

Carla

I agree DODY..completly..and again as I said I am not complaining just curious as to how it usually works the first time...just kinda want to be able to talk to my doc about it and know what it is I am talking about...that is all.....thanks so much for your reply

Much love

Carla

I pay $87.00 and drive about 75 minutes for a fill. I have had 5 and I'm not there yet. US docs usually follow Inamed's recommended fill schedule (at least in the beginning) so the first fill is likely to be 1cc. There is no way to know how much you will need, even flouro isn't 100% if my doc even offered it. Do not count on being restricted after the first fill, alot more aren't than are from what I've read. Sorry about the bad news, but I thought honesty was the way to go.

I believe Inamed recomends 1.3cc's for the 9.75/10 band and 3cc's for the VG band on the first fill.

I have 1.3cc's in a 9.75 and Im a tad tight to just right. We're all so different.

It's better to go back for more than to you back cause your over filled and in pain.

Yeah I have read others that say that too @ Vera......and you are probably right.....just kind of curious as to how the fill process works

Kryssa...not bad news:) just the facts...thanks both for the reply.

I have a 14cc band and my first fill was 6cc. I would explain to the doctor that you are paying cash and it is a very long drive. If you want him to be aggressive with your treatment, say that to him. I told my doc to be very aggressive and that I am willing to do my part.

You have to be an advocate for your band because no one else will. You take charge and make sure all your questions are answered. Good luck to you and keep us in the loop.

I got 1.7cc on my first fill and it wasn't enough. I'm going back on 4/18 for more. My doctor fills it up completely and has you drink Water. He slowly removes the fill until you tell him the Water went down. He says it works better then the Inmand schedule since it's personalized each time. My only issue is I didn't speak fast enough and think he took too much out. It was kind of hard to feel.

I'm not sure how your doctor does it but most the time they won't give you a choice. If he just put in 1cc then say something about how you may like more.

Im self pay as well! My fills are 150.00 but my first year was free....Its hard to say what would be good for you, cause its such an individaul thing...Me and my friend both have it and I had 4 fills my first year and she had two...so it just depends....whatever you decided DONT get overfilled cause of the drive.....Overfill SUCKS (excuse my language) but its ruff...been there done that.....its not a happy way of living.....for me i can get adjusted perfectly under fluro and go home and the next day be too tight, so we have come to figure with me that when he gets it to a perfect fill he takes a nidge out........good luck and I hope you dont get too excited and ask for too much.....

1cc is pretty common for a first fill. I think you should get your first fill and then decide if you feel any difference in restriction or need to get more aggressive. I was barely restricted at 1cc and then went to 1.5ccs (AFTER losing 20 lbs) and couldnt keep Water down. Unfilled to 1.3 and was perfect. When you get closer to perfect restriction TINY amounts make a huge huge difference. If they had filled me to 1.5 on the first fill I would have been puking up everything and been completely shut. $50 is incredibley reasonable for fills. I dont recall ever hearing anyone pay that little. It is MUCH easier to go back and get more fill than to suffer and go back for an unfill.

My fills are free forever, but I still dont want to be mucking around with them.

I had 1 ml (or cc) six weeks after surgery. Two and a bit weeks after that I had .3 ml. Three weeks after that I had a check up but elected not to get the fill since I was still going fine. Three weeks later I had .1ml, that was last Friday.

As mine are free I guess I have the luxury of tiny tiny increments and its only half an hour's drive to go back if it's a) either too much or :) if I want more.

But I feel my current level will suit me for a while.

My fill doc is familiar with my band doc in MX so he put in 2cc for the first fill. Fill doc said that's what Band doc recommends. I have no idea if that's true, but have no reason to argue, either. So 2cc for the first fill in a 9.75cm/4cc band. Went back 4 days later because I was too tight. He took out .4cc and I was great. I have since had the .4cc put back and I'm good. I have been banded just shy of a year, so I'm happy with my fill schedule so far.

My fill doc also did the drinking thing described by Cashley, when I went back for the unfill and fill #2. He got the needle in my port, drew out the old, pushed it all plus some back in till he could tell by the plunger it was tight, had me sit up and drink, then he drew out the saline until I said "ahhhh" when the Water passed through. THAT's a good fill. I have done fine when I am filled that way.

And $50 is a dang bargain for a fill. Non-flouro are $275 and Flouro are $325 for the doc plus $400 for the hospital flouro machine use. You can be happy about your price!!! I know you are. Good luck. Let us know how it goes, kay?