Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Breasts Part II (women again)

I have another question to add to p's poll, but I thought it would get more attention if I started another thread.

I am going to need a lift severly when I'm done losing weight, but I haven't had kids yet, and I am going to want to breast feed when I do have kids. Can I have a lift before I have kids and still have everything work right, does anyone know?

Thanks!

I know I've heard of women who had breast work done and were still able to breastfeed babies. I think it has to do with what kind of work is done - lift vs. implants, etc. Sorry I can't give you more info, I just don't know. Contact your lap surgeon to get advise, I'm sure they'll be able to help you or at least direct you to maybe a plastic surgery board? Good luck and let us know what you find out.

It is an awfully big risk to take. Any surgeon will probably tell you its possible but they cant guarantee it and I've got two friends (which is only two, of course) one of whom had a reduction and one of whom had a lift and neither was able to breastfeed. There's no saying whether they would have been able to anyway of course.

I'd be more worried about spending the money. Pregnancy itself let alone breastfeeding can do a lot of damage to your breasts, they can increase hugely in size during both and you might need reconstructive work again afterwards. Afterall, you're hardly going to spend the money having a lift, get pregnant, breastfeed a baby or two or three and then not worry when they've gone to pot after that. You'll get a better result with a lift if your weight and breast size stays stable after it's been done.

I had mine done when I was 20 years old. My surgeon told me I would never be able to breastfeed because I would not be able to produce milk. So, 4 years later when I had my baby, I declined the pill they give you when giving birth to dry up milk because I was told I wouldn't make any. Well, lo and behold, the day after I got home from the hospital I started leaking milk like you would not believe. They wouldn't let me breastfeed because they couldn't guarantee the quality of the milk. It was too late to take the pill, so they made me bind my breast. They were so swollen and sore, it was the most miserable two weeks of my life waiting for them to dry up!

My Dr told me I would still be bale to breastfeed after the lift but I am with jacqui...my boobs were huge when I was pregnant and breastfeeding which bought alot of stretchmarks. When I was finished and they shrunk again boy oh boy they were like footy socks on my chest...udders actually. So I wouldnt go through the money etc and have it done and then have them wrecked with pregnancy and breastfeeding. Wait till you are completely finished and go for it then!!!

I have 4 kids and I know I am definately finished :)

Good Luck with whatever you decide....any questions on the lift just send me a PM :)

I think that in a reduction/lift you may lose some of the ducts that make milk. You may not produce "enough". But I am with the others who say that to have your breasts made all pretty before you stretch'em all out again is a waste of time, pain, skin and money.

Even if you do get the oh so gorgeous 'rock in the sock' look.

like i said in the other thread, i had a reduction, and couldnot breastfeed with both kids due to reduced flow. i would leak, and maybe produce enough for a half a bottle all day, but that was it. i gave them that as a supplement, but gave them formula mainly. they still produce milk whem i am on my period though, but only a drop or two. not enough to be noticable.