Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating A Microscopic Bite Vs. Self Control

well, each of us (what did she say, fat people?) must do what works for us

being it regular bites and chewing alot or the recommended smaller bites or whether its pea size or whatever and chug a lug or choke, that is your business

following the dr's and nutritionists and the bands manufactors recomendations is up to each person. heck do what you want. your gonna anyhow.

i believe those who follow the rules will have more success.

missy, where is my pink kettle??

well, each of us (what did she say, fat people?) must do what works for us

being it regular bites and chewing alot or the recommended smaller bites

hey do what works for you

whether its pea size or whatever

following the dr's and nutritionists and the bands manufactors recommdations is up to each person. heck do what you want.

i believe those who follow it will have more success.

missy, where is my pink kettle??

Just for you my dear :D

prestige-42334.jpg

Just for you my dear :D

prestige-42334.jpg

well this made this fat person happy.

off to find peas..............

well this made this fat person happy.

off to find peas..............

I got peas growing in my garden. :)

hey missy

need a fork.......nearly forgot...hang on aj, on the way with my magic carpet.....

I wish I had the self-control to take that small of bites. I would be a lot more successful if I could have that self-control. I do log my calories and exercise. I'm very particular about my meal plan; with that being said, I still struggle. I'm still learning how to be successful. I didn't chose the band so I would never have to worry about food again - just the opposite - I chose the band because it would be a constant reminder that I need to be making healthy choices. At the restriction level I'm at, with 6.5 cc, I have to chose food wisely because I can't eat very much. I'm trying my hardest to work with my band, not expecting the band to work for me.

I agree that for me those bites are too small. I need a bite that is big enough that I can still get my teeth into it and actually chew it. If the bite is too small it just slips straight past.

But that is what works for ME. If Mis and others find that having smaller bites is what works for them then that is fine. This is a very individual process and everyone needs to figure out what works for them.

Some other things that I don't do that others may include:-

Following a low carb diet.

Eating Protein first.

Logging calories ( I've tried and it's way too much like hard work)

Only eating a cup or half cup of food ( I don't measure I eyeball it)

Some of these differences could be because I am in Australia and our Drs seem to approach WLS differently, but it is more proof that there is not a one size fits all solution.

Lol oh man I am out of here. I can't deal with the Naive people on here. No wonder everyone in this world is so fat.

That's just being rude and this site is a place to go to for support. We're all entitled to our opinions but let's try to have a little respect.

I agree that for me those bites are too small. I need a bite that is big enough that I can still get my teeth into it and actually chew it. If the bite is too small it just slips straight past.

But that is what works for ME. If Mis and others find that having smaller bites is what works for them then that is fine. This is a very individual process and everyone needs to figure out what works for them.

Some other things that I don't do that others may include:-

Following a low carb diet.

Eating Protein first.

Logging calories ( I've tried and it's way too much like hard work)

Only eating a cup or half cup of food ( I don't measure I eyeball it)

Some of these differences could be because I am in Australia and our Drs seem to approach WLS differently, but it is more proof that there is not a one size fits all solution.

You sound exactly like me! In 3 yrs, I've never counted anything nor measured anything. I go by what my body tells me. Measuring and counting remind me of dieting - something I swore I'd never, ever do again after getting the band. I also don't write down everything I've eaten. Had to do it for a week for my previous trainer and it was a pain in the butt. Don't know how people do that all day. To me, I'm trying to get my focus OFF of eating, not to make it more of a focus. I'm trying to be like a normal, thin person. And normal, thin people don't write down everything they eat. I also eat carbs. My PA lectures me about my carb intake everytime I see him. Never wanted to diet again, and again, watching my carb intake is just like dieting.

But I'm stuck at a certain number and the only way down from there is to start counting, I guess. I still remember how many calories are in EVERYTHING cuz I was such a proficient dieter in the past! I don't think I have a problem with how big my bites are - it's how fast I shove them in my mouth.

Elcee, I think we have so much in common. Like the recent weight gains we've both had after almost reaching goal. Too bad you're on the other side of the world!

Marci

Actually the size of the bite size mis73 posted is what my dietician showed me is the right size. Some days when I let myself get too hungry I want to be like a cave woman and dive in head first and take the biggest bite of food, lol. But I know if I don't want to get stuck, pb or abuse my band my pieces of food need to be that small especially now that I have good restriction and am in the green zone.

I've pb, d twice in the three months I've been banded and it hurt like hell and never want to do it again. I also figure that if I make it second nature to keep to that tiny piece then I don't risk getting stuck or pbing in a public situation. Some can take bigger bites and they are still fine, personally bigger bites hurt for me and I do want to eat pain free with my band.

Elcee I agree with everything you said. Everyone is different and will find what works for them. I was told from the beginning to take small bites as well, and chew chew chew!!! Lol. For me this weight loss journey has not been all rainbows. I've had to diet, and watch every calorie, and exercise regularly. I don't think I would have been as successful had I not done all those things. I have also paid for not chewing enough, or trying to eat too fast....man have I paid :( it's been a learning process. Even now, two years out, I'm still learning. I'm just under 5cc's in a 10cc band and can't have anything more than .1cc added at a time now. I've only had 3 fills ever and the last was unfill! Like I said, a learning experience! I congratulate all you ladies and gents on here that have been so successful. I love being able to come on here and see what others have gone through and go through, etc. I just wanted to respond again because I didn't intend for my original post to come off offensive.

Boy I hate when life gets in the way so I come in late on a thread. *wink*

I saw the pic Mis posted the other day and I immediately thought... Yeah that's about right. Ii was told from the beginning to eat like a baby..with teeth. And since I have a 15 month old granddaughter living with me I have a pretty good idea of what that is.

I started off using a baby spoon to relearn to eat. I cut up everything in tiny pieces maybe a little bigger than a pea. I take at least 20 minutes to eat 3 oz of Protein, 1/2 c veggies and 1/4 c startch at every meal. My Snacks are usually fruit. A banana takes me 10 minutes to eat ...and that's fast.

You see I am following my drs orders. And it sounds like several others have a like minded dr. If you don't then that's fine... But since I have been pretty successful over the past 22 months I think my dr knows what he is talking about. I followed his orders to a fault...but subsequently I had no problems and am very healthy now.

If someone chooses to eat bigger pieces or fried foods or pizza..then that's their business but I seriously doubt they will have the same success of someone who sticks to 1000 calories a day. And that's ok too. But for me.. I needed to lose the weight so that I could get to the point of letting the band help me maintain it.

The beauty of the band is that it allows you to make choices in your diet but it doesn't prevent you from making poor selections that will alter iit from working at maximum capacity. As my dr said..the band will do 70% of the work. You must do the other 30%.

My nutrionist actually suggested I get a baby spoon or shrimp fork to eat with, take eraser size bites, put the fork down between bites and wait one minute after I swallow to take another bite. I'm sure we all got pretty much the same instructions. I haven't actually gotten to eat food yet (banded on Monday the 24th) but I personally will do my best not to go against my doctor's orders because this was a long road to get the surgery, it was very expensive and for me at least-not doing what my doctors' have told me to for years is what got me to the point I needed WLS.

I appreciated the picture that was posted, especially since I had such a bad stuck episode. It doesn't make you any better that you don't have to do that.