Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone!!! I have exactly a week left until my surgery I have all types of emotions going through my mind right now...ahh Oct. 3rd is almost here!!!! I have a question....do you think it's necessary to stay over night in the hospital? I originally opted out of staying overnight but after talking to my sister last night she has me going crazy as if I made the wrong decision....what do you guys think? Is the hospital stay necessary??

I don't think it's necessary. You would actually probably be more comfortable at home because you will need to be up and walking around. For me, there wasn't a lot of pain but soreness. For some reason a lot of people have shoulder pain which is just gas from the anesthesia. Make sure you have the drops for gas relief and the post op meds and you will be fine.

Thanks for replying!!! I don't have any drops for gas relief...where can I get them???

Thanks for replying!!! I don't have any drops for gas relief...where can I get them???

Walmart in the infant drug section. U will use the baby drops.

Btw- try to have stuff like sugar free popcycles, Jello, and broth. After a couple days I started eating scrabbled eggs and mashed potatoes too.

Thanks for the tips!!! How long ago did you get it?

It is usually the decision of your surgeon whether it is necessary to stay overnight in the hospital based on the patient's risk factors. I discovered that I had been designated to stay overnight because somehow the practice thought I had sleep apnea, which thankfully I don't. I was able to be released the same day as surgery, and I was thankful to be at home.

The anesthesia is not what causes post op gas; it is the gas used during surgery to create more space internally for the surgeon to complete the surgery. Gas X and other gas preparations are not designed to resolve post op gas.

The best remedy for this pain post op should you have it is to walk...every hour I was awake post op I was advised to get up and walk around the house for a few minutes, which also lowers your risks for DVT developing. Some people have said that rocking in a rocking chair also helps, but I've never tried that.

Wishing you a speedy recovery...

Thanks for the tips!!! How long ago did you get it?

It's been two years 9/22. The tips I gave were recommendations from my surgeon and they worked for me.

I was on the operating table at 8am and home by noon. It was nice to be home, I laid out on the deck in the sun for a bit, walked around for a bit, and slept in my own bed. Everyone is different, but home was just way more comfortable. Gas X, Heating pad and peppermint tea are said to work for the gas. (I only got my first gas pain yesterday - 8 days post op........but that was after a 6hr car ride the day before, and 8hrs in the office yesterday - didn't pay attention to the walking around - thought I was in the clear)

Do what makes you comfortable.

Thanks for all of the replies...I think I'm going to go with the original plan and come home same day...I don't like hospitals so I know I will not be comfortable staying overnight. I want to be as comfortable as possible post-op. I bought a nice comfy back pillow so that I will be able to sit up in bed comfortably and I plan to just walk around at home every hour or so...I am worried about the gas pains, but I know that everyones body reacts differently, so I will just wait it out and see how my body reacts to everything...ahh I'm so nervous..!!!

I stayed overnight and glad I did. I became very nauseous from the pain meds and anesthesia. Def keep gas x handy, you will need them. I also couldn't take any pain meds so I was uncomfortable for just a little bit. But it only lasts a short time.. And most people are fine and up and around the next day.

We have the same surgery day ! I'm excited doing really good with the liquid diet and my workouts . I'm staying overnight doctor's orders

We have the same surgery day ! I'm excited doing really good with the liquid diet and my workouts . I'm staying overnight doctor's orders

it's only a week away for us..let's be sure to keep each other posted on everything since we have the same date. I'm doing well on my pre-op diet as well...I haven't really had the time to do actual workouts..all i've done is speed walk for 45 mins each night...what are you doing for workouts?

Zumba and walks too :) i also been cleaning at home like crazy lol just trying to be busy and don't think too much about food :( I even dream about fried chicken last night lol

Hello everyone!!! I have exactly a week left until my surgery I have all types of emotions going through my mind right now...ahh Oct. 3rd is almost here!!!! I have a question....do you think it's necessary to stay over night in the hospital? I originally opted out of staying overnight but after talking to my sister last night she has me going crazy as if I made the wrong decision....what do you guys think? Is the hospital stay necessary??

Yes stay. I stayed over night and the take very good care of pain and nausea .. I could not imagine going home after surgery if u have the option to stay!