Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Went To See My Doctor Today...

It's been since June. Part of it was scheduling conflicts, but also I was hesitant to go, since the NP was not wanting to give me fills, even when I told her I had no restriction, and I felt like well why did I even get the band?

A little bit of background. I was banded 12/30/11, and lost 15lbs almost right away. Then slowly lost another 5-7, and I say this because my weight bounces back and forth between these two numbers. The last time I lost was pretty much March, and I've been stuck since then. Tried stepping up my workouts, and following my eating more closely (including fresh veggies, upping my Water intake, and journaling my foods). Still no success. Went in to see NP in June, she lectured me that since I wasn't losing, I needed to try cutting out my frozen dinners, because it most likely the carbs and sodium doing me in. She also said I would not be getting any fills until I could drop some more weight. Now granted, I should have looked at that as a challenge, but I didn't. So that was my fault.

Fast forward to today. Made the appointment with the doc, and told him I feel like I'm fallen off the wagon, I have no motivation, and even when I bring the "A-game" and do what I'm supposed to, I don't lose. And don't lose with my F-game, either, lol. He reviewed my lab results, and said he is concerned, because it appears my metabolic system is not where is should be. He said I am pre-diabetic, and with my triglycerides being elevated, he is thinking I need to see an endocrinologist.

Now, this may seem a little strange, but hearing him tell me "look, every day is going to be a battle for you. You can gain the weight back so fast, but it's going to take you a while to get this weight off. It can be done, you just have to know what your challenges are and not let yourself get discouraged. Which I know is not going to be easy all the time," actually lifted my spirits. I think now that I know what my opponent is, I can pick a better battle strategy.

Has anyone else had endo-related issues? And if so, how or what did you find helped you to be more successful?

Have you had any fills at all??? Why in the world would they refuse to give you fills? Fills are what make this band work...without any Fluid in the band, you're just white-knuckle dieting. If we've been banded, that's a sure sign that we're not good at the white-knuckle dieting!

Unless I've missed something in your post, I would be finding another doctor immediately!

Have you had any fills at all??? Why in the world would they refuse to give you fills? Fills are what make this band work...without any Fluid in the band' date=' you're just white-knuckle dieting. If we've been banded, that's a sure sign that we're not good at the white-knuckle dieting!

Unless I've missed something in your post, I would be finding another doctor immediately![/quote']

I agree with Toddy. Your doctors responsibility is to give you fills so that the band will work and you'll lose weight. You should look for a new doctor! Good luck to you!

I go in for my first fill today and I am counting on something in the band. I with the above poster why have a band if you dont get a fill to help out. Are they just in it for the money then? Gosh i hope not. please let us know what happens today

line-dancer

I'd stay with scheduling your appointments with your surgeon...this NP seems a bit useless when it comes to motivation, support and looking for solutions to help you loose weight.

I feel you would see more progress with reviewing your eating patterns and food choices. I've made a conscious choice to stay with the most basic, natural and unprocessed foods I can find. I shop only on the periphery of the grocery store, where I find the produce, meats, and dairy products...and of course I skip the bakery!

Some people feel it helps them to keep a food journal or use My Fitness Pal to track what they eat and number of calories. I just don't have the patience to do that...

Best wishes to make some progress...let us know your progress with following up with the endocrinologist.

I am not banded yet, but I was diagnosed with under active thyroid and I have had hard time loosing weigght because of it. However, since being on meds I do feel better.

It's been since June. Part of it was scheduling conflicts, but also I was hesitant to go, since the NP was not wanting to give me fills, even when I told her I had no restriction, and I felt like well why did I even get the band?

A little bit of background. I was banded 12/30/11, and lost 15lbs almost right away. Then slowly lost another 5-7, and I say this because my weight bounces back and forth between these two numbers. The last time I lost was pretty much March, and I've been stuck since then. Tried stepping up my workouts, and following my eating more closely (including fresh veggies, upping my Water intake, and journaling my foods). Still no success. Went in to see NP in June, she lectured me that since I wasn't losing, I needed to try cutting out my frozen dinners, because it most likely the carbs and sodium doing me in. She also said I would not be getting any fills until I could drop some more weight. Now granted, I should have looked at that as a challenge, but I didn't. So that was my fault.

Fast forward to today. Made the appointment with the doc, and told him I feel like I'm fallen off the wagon, I have no motivation, and even when I bring the "A-game" and do what I'm supposed to, I don't lose. And don't lose with my F-game, either, lol. He reviewed my lab results, and said he is concerned, because it appears my metabolic system is not where is should be. He said I am pre-diabetic, and with my triglycerides being elevated, he is thinking I need to see an endocrinologist.

Now, this may seem a little strange, but hearing him tell me "look, every day is going to be a battle for you. You can gain the weight back so fast, but it's going to take you a while to get this weight off. It can be done, you just have to know what your challenges are and not let yourself get discouraged. Which I know is not going to be easy all the time," actually lifted my spirits. I think now that I know what my opponent is, I can pick a better battle strategy.

Has anyone else had endo-related issues? And if so, how or what did you find helped you to be more successful?

I'm glad you posted this, I can gain weight by eating badly for two days, but I have to workout at least 5-6 times per week for at least an hour AND keep the calories down to lose. Knowing what you need to do to succeed and what the enemy is rocks! I know carbs are absolute no no's for me so when I fall off the wagon I'm not dismayed when the weight starts to creep back. I have to get back ON the wagon, take out my sword and keep fighting the dragon. I'll have him beat yet! His days are so numbered!

Yes, I have had fills up to 7cc's. The nurse was the one who was actually refusing the fills, but she was the only one whose schedule seemed to click with mine. But two pieces of good news: 1) my schedule is a lot more open now, so I can see the doctors, instead of her and 2) she is no longer with the practice. I can only imagine why!

And I agree with you 100%, if I could handle diet alone, why would I have asked for the band.

Have you had any fills at all??? Why in the world would they refuse to give you fills? Fills are what make this band work...without any Fluid in the band, you're just white-knuckle dieting. If we've been banded, that's a sure sign that we're not good at the white-knuckle dieting!

Unless I've missed something in your post, I would be finding another doctor immediately!

I love that analogy about the dragon! :-)

I'm glad you posted this, I can gain weight by eating badly for two days, but I have to workout at least 5-6 times per week for at least an hour AND keep the calories down to lose. Knowing what you need to do to succeed and what the enemy is rocks! I know carbs are absolute no no's for me so when I fall off the wagon I'm not dismayed when the weight starts to creep back. I have to get back ON the wagon, take out my sword and keep fighting the dragon. I'll have him beat yet! His days are so numbered!