Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

my doctor just called and said I might want to consider the sleeve instead of the band. what do ppl think. I don't know why the sleeve scares me so much and the band doesn't. financially there will be less out of pocket cost for my family. but I just don't know I have until october 8. holy cow this feels huge

why did he suggest it instead of the band?

he said because I have 120 lbs to loose, and because less maintenance. but I feel I could just stretch the sleeve. im so confused.. my head is spinning and I could almost cry because I've never second guessed this choice until now

Well the amount of weight to lose shouldn't be a factor in which WLS you choose. I've lost 143 pounds in 8 months and I'm still losing. How well you succeed with WLS- be it the band, sleeve, or bypass- depends entirely how on willing you are to work for it.

I would research both extensively before making a decision. At the end of the day the choice has to be yours and yours alone.

This site is full of success stories of over 100 pounds lost. I'm suprised that your doctor thinks that.

Missy is right do your research, both options require a lot of work/change by the patient. I don't think one is "better" than the other. You need to go with what is best for you.

Good luck with you decision.

I pretty much think all surgeons either discuss, or even 'push' the sleeve or gastric bypass. When I told my surgeon that I wanted lapband, I was asked why? Actually I believe they asked me twice. They didn't push the other surgeries on me, they just wanted to make sure that I understood how the band works compared to the other surgeries.

Basically, its a tool that will help, but you will be doing a lot of the work. It can be done as you can see from other bandsters.

Like Mis73 said, you need to do extensive research on lapband surgery. You can google or go to youtube for more detailed information.

Best of luck :)

Definitely do the research to come up with the decision you feel most comfortable with. Write down the pros and cons, sounds silly but will help you come to what your own decision. I have seen a lot of success stories on here of people losing over 100 lbs. There is less maint. w/ the sleeve in that you have the surgery and that is it. You do not go back for monthly fills (for several months) and (to my understanding) you don't have issues with food getting stuck. It only restricts the quantity you eat by making you feel full w/ such a small pouch. The band may not last indefinitely. However, not everyone wants that invasive of a surgery, such as the sleeve and there are risks of it leaking, etc.. Personally, I didn't like the thought of my stomach being cut and stapled, etc. It is truly a personal decision and there are pros and cons for either surgery.

Best of luck to whichever decision you come to. Don't sweat it. At least you have options. There is no "right or wrong", just what you feel is best.

I also have about 120 to lose (well 110 lbs would put me at the healthy range ) my Dr. didn't try to push another surgery on me. With my ins i think the band is my only option. When i went to the support grp the other night the Dr said that people that need to lose over a 100 lbs could benefit from some of the other surgery's. Plenty of people can lose over a 100 and have the band. As other posters have said research it and decide what you want to do. You have to live with it not the Dr. As long as you use your tool you will lose the weight. Good luck!

My doctor does all of the WLS but only suggest the lapband. He believes it is the safest. But hey they all have different opinions