Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Before & After Visual ?

Hey guys,

Am I the only one that can't seem to visualize myself thin? I look at all these wonderful before & after pictures of people, and I just can't see it. I'm not trying to be negative, but I think since I've been over weight most of my adult life (after 26), I just can't see myself thinner. Is that a bad attitude, or do other people feel that way too? I'm currently around 228 pds, and it would be awesome to be under 200...etc....

Anyone else out there feel this way?

I completely felt that way. I weigh less now than I did at 12!! I have always been big and never would have imagined myself being skinny. Even calling myself skinny seems out of this world to me.

But it can and will happen for you!!

What you are writing about is actually quite common...it takes the mind and the automatic thinking awhile to catch up with the body.

An inaccurate self image is often seen when working with patients who have eating disorders...and for individuals who have lost significant amounts of weight, their concept of self image is another adjustment which needs to be made along the weight loss journey.

I sometimes still catch myself thinking in terms of my weight starting with a 2 instead of a 1...

I can't visual or even imagine. I have been overweight most of my life. Its been so long I forgot what under 250 lbs would feel like. The lowest I have ever got to was 259 wayyyy back in the day. I always seem to stay so high in the 200's for the last 10 years. So no, I can't wrap my head around it.

Even now I am still scared and wonder if I will ever get there...

Hey PattyGirl,

We have to believe that it can, and WILL happen. It's just so hard to see it. Gosh, I would love to see a picure of myself, and just feel good about the way I look. I know many of us must struggle with this. but some how, some way, we have to believe it could happen. Otherwise, why would we have gotten banded?

I won't give up, but it's tough. I know you can do it too :)

Hey, I see that you say you had air trapped in your band after surgery. How do you now that happened? What did it feel like? I get my first fill, hopefully next week.

WE CAN AND WILL DO THIS!!!

I've thought this many times! I've always been overweight, so I have no reference at all, but I'm looking forward to seeing myself change!

Hi Domika,

I developed horrible acid reflux 2 days after surgery. I never had it before, so they put me on nexium and that didn't work either. The surgeon was thinking my band may be tight from air trapped inside the band. There was just a little air trapped and she got it out. Same way you would get a fill, she inserted the needle into my port and drew out air. It didin't hurt at all, infact she numbed my belly first with some numbing gel. I was happy when she located my port in seconds.

I still suffer from acid reflux, however I noticed it is subsiding (crossing fingers) it goes away! omg how horrible to have this soon after surgery, I barely could eat and everything possible triggers the acid, such as Protein powders, sugar substitute, dairy. Talk about being limited.

My band is empty and I will not have a fill until the acid reflux is completely under control. I am thinking a fill may just make it worse!

Best of luck to you :)

-Patty

Hey guys,

Am I the only one that can't seem to visualize myself thin? I look at all these wonderful before & after pictures of people, and I just can't see it. I'm not trying to be negative, but I think since I've been over weight most of my adult life (after 26), I just can't see myself thinner. Is that a bad attitude, or do other people feel that way too? I'm currently around 228 pds, and it would be awesome to be under 200...etc....

Anyone else out there feel this way?

I felt it... I bet there isnt anyone who doesnt feel that way if they have been overweight most of their lives. Its normal. Just dont focus on it. Let the weight come off as it went on...slow and steady. And I can tell you from personal experience one day you will have the pleasure of looking at a size 14 pair of pants you bought 2 months ago and seeing them swim on you... because now you are a 10. And the 8's you never could have imagined would fit are looking pretty good right now.

Yes! I started out at 276 (my highest ever) and am down to 195 in a little less than a year. I still walk through the plus size section before realizing I don't have to. I see a completely different person in the mirror than everyone else sees. Once in a while I will get a glimpse of the real me in a pic or walking by a window and can't believe it's me! I've always weighed more than everybody, well for the last 15 years at least. I am still in that mindset. I think I am slowly coming out of it, but I don't know if I will ever completely. Good luck! Even if you aren't seeing it, your body is feeling that it is healthier and that is an amzing feeling. =)