Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Now I Know What Stuck Feels Like!

So I am at the point now where I can start real food, well I hurt now but learned my lesson. I tried to get some chicken chunks with egg and guacamole. They chicken piece was obviously too big and/or I didn't chew it enough before swallowing... and I thought I was going to die! I was at lunch with about 10 co-workers... luckily there is a bathroom in our faculty lounge and I was able to just walk away from the table and hide in there... the pain in my chest was unexplainable... I had to acutally vomit a little to get it up so I could swallow again! It was awful and scary and boy oh boy did I learn my lesson! I am sore now though, anything I swallow at all I feel! Should I stick to liquids for a day or two to get that feeling to go away? I always wondered what it would feel like... now I know and Don't want to feel it again. I need to be very conscious of chewing and size, but I was new to eating and was talking at the same time and didn't think. UGGG... I know it was my fault but it hurt!!

I would recommend liquids for 24hrs. Your stomach is now irritated and eating food could cause another stuck episode. I do 24hr liquids, 24hr mushie then back to normal when I get stuck. Good luck.

Liquids or at least something soupy. Your throw-up was what we call PB for productive burping. Usually your esophogus fills with flem/saliva which we call slime(ghostbusters!). It's there to help the food pass through but if the chunk is too big, a little PB will work. Don't alway rely on PBs to get you through. We have one forum member who has been PBing for years and it stretched her esophogus out.

Sadly, most of us take much longer to get the message. I got stuck just yesterday. I probably have at least one stuck episode a month now. Distraction is the enemy.

tmf

Thank you both... I am on liquids again.. even that doesn't feel all that great! Honestly it was awful but I am sort of glad it happened... I know it doesn't make sense but I know what it feels like know. I don't want it to happen again, at least not for a very long time! I need to pay better attention as I do eat and cut cut cut my food up more.... It was a quick way to not be hungry that is for sure... the idea of eating hurts! Strangely I feel "gassy" in my belly now... but it was a learning experience...

Sorry to piggy back your post i am pre op still and going thru the processes, are you supposed to take like nibbles of your food and then swallow and then wait and do it again? does that prevent the problem?

Sorry to piggy back your post i am pre op still and going thru the processes' date=' are you supposed to take like nibbles of your food and then swallow and then wait and do it again? does that prevent the problem?[/quote']

Marybell, yes, you will need to take small bites and chew each bite very well. If you don't remember to do that it can be very painful. Even with liquids you will have to drink slow. I have gulped down a drink and had pain even with that though it was nothing compared to having food stuck.

Sorry to piggy back your post i am pre op still and going thru the processes' date=' are you supposed to take like nibbles of your food and then swallow and then wait and do it again? does that prevent the problem?[/quote']

Yes, small bits, my doctor says size of a nickel, and chew chew chew. If you take too big a bit or don't chew it enough or eat too fast ( my doctor says a minute between bits) then you could get stuck.

is it true, no drinking a hour before your meal and no drinking during your meal and possibly 30mins after a meal? How do u NOT become dehydrated? my boss had lapband and got dehydrated in the hospital for a day getting fluids and monitered. she ended up having her band removed due to a ulcer

I drink right up until I start to eat then wait about an hour after I eat to drink again. A girl in my support group uses 2 Water bottles a day and labels them with times she has to drink them by. She marks one line 9am, another 11am then by 1pm she needs to finish that bottle. Her 2nd bottle is marked 2, 3, and 5. She gets in the fluids while at work, stays hydrated and drinks more in the afternoon keeps her from afternoon hunger.

is it true, no drinking a hour before your meal and no drinking during your meal and possibly 30mins after a meal? How do u NOT become dehydrated? my boss had lapband and got dehydrated in the hospital for a day getting fluids and monitered. she ended up having her band removed due to a ulcer

Before commenting, you should follow your doctors orders.

The jury is still out on this one. There have been new studies that dispute the drinking before, during and after restrictions. Below is a link to a series of 4 videos from a well known Dr in Australia. I highly recommend that all new bandsters watch all 4 videos. But, for this topic, video part 3 and around 6:30 minutes into the video is an explanation about the current thinking on Fluid intake before, during and after a meal:

Go to 6:30 minutes into video:

Before commenting' date=' you should follow your doctors orders.

The jury is still out on this one. There have been new studies that dispute the drinking before, during and after restrictions. Below is a link to a series of 4 videos from a well known Dr in Australia. I highly recommend that all new bandsters watch all 4 videos. But, for this topic, video part 3 and around 6:30 minutes into the video is an explanation about the current thinking on Fluid intake before, during and after a meal:

Go to 6:30 minutes into video:

Ty for posting this tmf. Professor O'Brien in those videos is my surgeon. He explained that when drinking with your meals you eat your food wait that minute or two for it to pass through your band then you may sip your drink. I've drunk Water with every meal this way and I have still managed to loose over 50 pounds in two months and with no problems hitting satiety after 15 to 20 minutes of eating.

It's important to remember chew, swallow wait a minute and if you do that when you drink it does not wash your food through as the food has already passed through the band to trigger the responses to the brain.