Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've got a Partial Slip! Thoughts on re-positioning?

I am so disappointed, scared and frustrated. Today I went down to Mexico for what I thought was a slight unfill. I had my 2nd fill 8 weeks ago, and have had reflux since then, couldn't eat very many solids, ie.

I'm told that my pouch is the size of a plum instead of a walnut, and this is considered a partial slip--the barium I swallowed did not go down quickly, but kind of sat there. That explains why I have had trouble with liquids at times, these last few weeks. I had a complete unfill, and was told to come back in 2-3 weeks. Then they will fill me again under the flouro and see if the pouch gets plum-sized again. If it doesn't, then that's great. If it does, then I would need a re-positioning. The odds are not in my favor--apparently I only have about a 25% chance that the slip will correct itself with the unfill.

I just cried. I am only 8 months out and have lost 35 lbs. I'm not done yet! In addition to the hassle, pain, extra cost, ie., I'm concerned about another slippage in the future after the repositioning. I was told I would not get filled more than 1.6cc. (My 2nd fill put me at 1.9 and I believe that led to my current situation.)

Please respond if you know anything about repositioning--ie--have you had it? Know any statistics about slippage after it? What is your MDs opinion about it, if you know. My doc says I shouldn't have any increased chances of slippage after the repositioning, but I feel like I haven't always got consistent info from them.

There is so much good info & support here, I need you guys right now. Thank you for reading this. Jigglypuff:cry

Oh man..I am so sorry. I can feel the sadness and frustration in your post. I'm newly banded, so I have no answers, but just wanted to respond.

DO they know what caused the slip?

Never heard the plum/walnut limitations.. I've been rebanded - no problem really, but the second band has never felt like the first and I've mostly maintained, not really lost since. Of course this is all my own experience.

I've never had the same overt 'stop' signs with the second banding and had more esophageal issues.

Would I do it again?? YES

try liquids only for a week, somethis this causes the swelling to go down and the stomach to slip back into place and you wont need surgery, doesn't always work, but sometimes it does.

try liquids only for a week, somethis this causes the swelling to go down and the stomach to slip back into place and you wont need surgery, doesn't always work, but sometimes it does.

I had a severe slip, and it repositioned itself after being on liquids for a week. (Unfortunately it slipped again after that and had to be removed.) However, I know a few people who have had slips as you describe yours, jigglypuff, and they all self-repaired after being on liquids. It could be that you're eating too much at once, or that you were just too tight, and it caused your pouch to stretch.

I don't know what diet they put you on, but I highly recommend you stick to a STRICT liquids only diet for 1-2 weeks before trying to eat anything. Now is NOT the time to take "advantage" of being unfilled, as strong as the temptation may be. (It was for me anyway =) )

Best wishes,

Jonathan

I had something similar recently. I had a fill on a Monday stayed on liquids 3 days mushies 3 days. The first bite of solid food I ate after this fill got stuck and it was over for me. I could not get anything down thicker than Water or I would be sick and start the whole pb experience again. Went to the fill center had a swallow and they told me I was slipped and I could see something was wrong my pics were different than the ones the previous Monday. They did a complete unfill and then I was on liquids for a week and mushies a week and then another barium swallow. All appeared well and they put a small fill in. Even though they told me I was slipped my dr has decided that I was just really dialated from that eposode and not truely slipped. I was really in my own personal hell waiting those two weeks to know what would happen and if I would be ok. I was only 3 months out when this happened. Its hard but really dont eat for a while to the liquids and see where it takes you.

:help: :help: :help: :help: :help: After going down to TJ for 1 month and getting an unfill. I was told yesterday that it will cost me 5700. to get the BAND RE POSITIONED.

BY DR. LOPEZ.... I WENT DOWN 1/22/07 and was told BAND NEEDS TO BE REPOSITIONED.. THE DR DID AN UNFILL AND XRAYS.. I WENT BACK ON 2./19/07 AND MORE XRAYS AND A FILL UNDER FLORO 1.9cc put it. So THEN I WAS TOLD THE SURG WOULD COST 5700.. I AM SELF PAY

I NEED TO BE IN THE HOSPITAL 2 DAY/CARDIOLOGIST/NUTRITIONALIST/AND BLOOD WORK UP. I EMAILDED BACK AND ASK IF I CAN GET SOME OF THE WORK DONE BY PCP AND TAKE THE RESULTS BACK TO TJ WITH ME...TO SAVE SOME COSTS.. I AM NOT SURE WHAT KIND OF ANSWER I AM GOING TO GET

:) :) :D WILL POST IT LATER

:tired :tired :tired :tired :tired :tired

:help: :help: :help: :help: :help: After going down to TJ for 1 month and getting an unfill. I was told yesterday that it will cost me 5700. to get the BAND RE POSITIONED.

BY DR. LOPEZ.... I WENT DOWN 1/22/07 and was told BAND NEEDS TO BE REPOSITIONED.. THE DR DID AN UNFILL AND XRAYS.. I WENT BACK ON 2./19/07 AND MORE XRAYS AND A FILL UNDER FLORO 1.9cc put it. So THEN I WAS TOLD THE SURG WOULD COST 5700.. I AM SELF PAY

I NEED TO BE IN THE HOSPITAL 2 DAY/CARDIOLOGIST/NUTRITIONALIST/AND BLOOD WORK UP. I EMAILDED BACK AND ASK IF I CAN GET SOME OF THE WORK DONE BY PCP AND TAKE THE RESULTS BACK TO TJ WITH ME...TO SAVE SOME COSTS.. I AM NOT SURE WHAT KIND OF ANSWER I AM GOING TO GET

:) :scared: :scared: WILL POST IT LATER

For The Record,, My Dr Told Me It Would Cost 5700.00 For Repositioning Of The Band, 2nigh Stay, This Is In Tj,

Dr. Lopez. Can Knock Of 500.00 If Ya Stay 1 Night