Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery Scheduled For Sept 25Th And Having Doubts :(

Hi everyone,

My surgery date is Sept 25th and I'm having serious reservations. A friend of mine told me two of her friends are having their bands removed and my aunt's friend has the band for one year is miserable, her band is opened and she can't eat any solid food. I'm a self pay patient and I'm concerned that the band will one day eventually have to be removed due to erosion or slippage. The cost to remove the band is the same cost to install the band. I've been lurking around the life after lapband removal board to discover why people are having their bands removed. I don't know if these bands are really permanent or just good for x amount of years until they slip or erode. I'm scared that I will be one of the one's that has complications and has to have their band removed and gain back all the weight. I'm also scared of having 1 surgery let alone two surgeries. Any feedback is appreciated.

Any surgery that you have in life will come with some risks...WLS is no different.

The risk of complications is smaller for the band compared with other WLS options. I chose the band because I did not feel rearranging my GI tract was a good idea.

I have followed the bandster rules, and I have experienced some medical complications related to the band but not caused by the band. They did result in 3 hospitalizations and having my gall bladder removed.

Yes, you will read about the problems with band slippage and erosion, and as noted before these are risks associated with having a band. What you may not focus on is that for every individual who posts about the problems they are having with their band, there are many others who are finding long term success with their bands.

Many times (no hard statistics on this) band problems are precipitated by the patient's non-compliance with the bandster diet or other rules we are supposed to be following. As with all things, there will be exceptions to this.

Only you can weigh your options, and make the decision if the band is the best WLS for you, or even if you are sufficiently motivated to make the life style changes for life that you will need to successfully achieve if you want to be successful with weight loss.

The band is no (pardon the play on words) "cake walk"...the band is only a tool that you need to learn how to use to be successful with weight loss. It requires daily focus on diet compliance and a life long commitment to exercise and healthy eating patterns.

Your post reads to me that you are still essentially undecided about what if any WLS you should have, and as such I strongly believe that it's advisable to delay your surgery until and unless you are sufficiently motivated for your own success.

It helps to continue to read and do additional research into the band...it is not designed to be temporary.

Best wishes as you consider your options...

I have a month to change my mind as I can cancel the surgery up until the day before. After I set the date the surgery became very real. I've been researching lapband surgery for quite some time now and I'd rather be fat then disconnect or remove 85% of my stomach. I have done tons of research reading the success stories and the horror stories. I'm skeptical about the lifespan of the band and if it is really permanent. It is not designed to be temporary yet people are having them removed after 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,10 years. I think I need to stop reading the life after lapband removal board. It is normal to be scared and cautious about any surgery. I don't have any health conditions and am self pay so its pretty much elective.

I think it is normal to be nervous or question things when dates become official. I mean yes there are risks.. I thought about them too! I only had my surgery less than 2 weeks ago and I am very happy with my decision to do this and am going to use the band to help me get to my goal and if something happens along the way that causes challenges I will figure it out at that time.... I can't live by the "what if's" and I honestly don't have time to think about it! Research everything, make the best decision for YOU and not for anyone else... you will in the end do the best thing for you! Good luck with all of it! :)

I have a month to change my mind as I can cancel the surgery up until the day before. After I set the date the surgery became very real. I've been researching lapband surgery for quite some time now and I'd rather be fat then disconnect or remove 85% of my stomach. I have done tons of research reading the success stories and the horror stories. I'm skeptical about the lifespan of the band and if it is really permanent. It is not designed to be temporary yet people are having them removed after 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,10 years. I think I need to stop reading the life after lapband removal board. It is normal to be scared and cautious about any surgery. I don't have any health conditions and am self pay so its pretty much elective.

Even joint replacement parts have a limited lifespan. I'm not concerned about having my band fail...if it does, and it is possible for it to be replaced, then I will have it done. I'm going to address that issue when and if it presents itself...

The complications from having the band are real, and understand that for every individual who has to have one removed, there are many who do not.

I've always believed that if I remain compliant with the diet rules and exercise, the odds will always be in my favor to have a successful weight loss journey with my band.