Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help Please!!

i told my immediate family and my co workers

i am very proud of what i am doing and am very lucky to have support from all (so far)

i wish you all the best :)

I was banded on August 8th. When I first made the decision I only told my parents and 2 close friends. After I got the logistics worked out I told my boss and then about a week before surgery when I knew nothing was going to stop me I started telling the rest of my coworkers more friends & family. Now that I have been banded I am so happy with my decision and progress that I don't care who knows.

Its really on you though... if you think you want to tell people just do but if you want to keep it to yourself then do that! Good luck to you! :)

Sent from my DROID Pro using LapBandTalk

I love hearing everyones methods. I was very open about my surgery. I was ecstatic that I had made this powerful decision to change my life around. Although it was spontaneous for me, I did A TON of research on all the different types of surgery available for weight loss. If someone was against my decision to have surgery, or was even skeptical, I explained it thoroughly. I wanted everyone to know I had made my decision with research and the proper tools.

It has paid off tremendously! I go in for my first fill today, after being banded on April 24. I LOVE MY LAP BAND, AND I WANT EVERYONE TO KNOW IT CHANGED MY LIFE! Yay for all of us for taking control over the food! That food no longer controls me!

I think it's a very personal decision. But you should feel very proud of taking control of your life so early on and not wait until you get older and have developed several weight related illnesses. Just for that, you should have no trouble facing the negative comments. Congratulations!

looking back on everything now i kind of wish i never told anyone ... i too have been very open about everything but now every time i eat anything i get "should u really eat that?" or "can you eat that?" or "is that giving you issues or getting stuck?" it's just kind of annoying and i also hate when ppl tell me "oh you are looking so skinny now!" at 294 lbs i am far from skinny yet... ok end of my rant lol

I had surgery may 10th. I told my husband, kids, sister, mom, mother in law and sister in law. I was pretty sure that all of those people would be supportive. I just didn't want all the questions and criticism. All of those people have been supportive. But I wish I hadn't even told that many only because of all of the questions I get! My mother in law, sweetest lady alive, is always asking me how my eating is going, lol. She means well but sometimes I just get tired of talking about it. I am glad I have a few people to talk about it with.

When people ask about my weight loss I simply tell them I eat very little, hardly any carbs and I drink alot of non calorie liquid.< /p>

It's interesting to hear how everyone has reacted to it. It really helps me to know what to expect when I get banded. I think I'm going to tell only my closest family and my boss so I can get off work. Maybe after a couple of months or years when I feel comfortable I'll tell whoever asks.

It's interesting to hear how everyone has reacted to it. It really helps me to know what to expect when I get banded. I think I'm going to tell only my closest family and my boss so I can get off work. Maybe after a couple of months or years when I feel comfortable I'll tell whoever asks.

That's my hope also! I would love to share what's going on with people, especially people that could Benifit from wls, but I don't want to be under a microscope.

I just told very close friends and some family members and told them not to talk about it with everyone because being talked about constantly is an annoyance.

I wouldn't tell co-workers unless a co-worker is also a close friend.

If I wouldn't normally tell someone about something dramatic in my life which was going on, then I wouldn't tell them about lapband.

People are adept at forming their own opinions completely removed from the facts so I would rather just tell people who would ask me about it rather than talk to other people about it and come up with potentially crazy stories or misconceptions.

I told my daughters...then one of them told their step-mom and b4 i knew it everyone in town knew..so I made a small post on Facebook conferming it so it came from me and not the step-mom's big mouth!!!

I told my daughters...then one of them told their step-mom and b4 i knew it everyone in town knew..so I made a small post on Facebook conferming it so it came from me and not the step-mom's big mouth!!!

Hello everyone' date=' I'm new to this site and have not been banded yet. I have my surgery set for September 28 but besides the normal pre-op anxiety I'm also dealing with another huge worry. I'm 22 years old and besides my immediate family, no one else knows about my banding. It's really difficult to come to terms about telling people around me like friends or coworkers. I feel like people might not be as supportive or be as happy for me as I would want them to be. Has anyone else been through this? How did you deal with it?[/quote']

I'm 27 just had my band don't Monday. It was about a 4 month process. I told a select close friends. I knew my dad wouldn't agree so I left him out. My close aunt knew and seemed supportive until the liquid diet she was teasing me as if she was trying to convince me not to have it. I laughed along but it was stupid. After surgery they even came over and brought somethings I asked for while eating ice cream cones. I would say keep it to your self. If any one ask u made a life change. And that's the truth.

I had the same concerns. I felt like people wouldn't understand and I felt like I would be admitting to the world that couldn;t do this on my own and I would look fat and weak. However, I started to get so excited about it that I just couldn't keep it in any longer so I told everyone via Facebook about preparing for the surgery. EVERYONE was so supportive it make me feel so much better. I've started posting pictures of me as I lose the weight on FB for people to see and even a year later the support is amazing. It's up to you if you want to tell people about it because it is something personal. However, you might be suprised and the amount of love and support you get!

My advice--at first only tell the people that need to know. I say this because the second you plateau or decide to eat something besides celery some people will jump down your throat. Some will also demean your accomplishments because you 'cheated' by having surgery. Those things are disruptive to the process. Just my advice.