Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Rough Morning- About To Pass Out

6 days post surgery and so far everything has been pretty much as expected. Until this morning. I got up, fed the dogs, let the chickens out and collected the stray eggs, made a cup of tea and sat down in the rocker to enjoy the tea and figure out what I was going to eat for Breakfast. Then the world caved in around me. At first I thought I was going to vomit and had my husband scrambling for a bucket. Then I realized I was actually about to pass out. I was able to get to the couch and lie down. After about 15 minutes I was feeling better. I called the surgeon's number and the aprn wasn't excited about it, said it was just all the changes, which makes sense. Now I'm waiting for a call back from my primary care doc to tell me how they want me to handle my bp meds. No one seems too upset- only me. Hope this isn't a regular thing, because I am not enjoying it at all!

I'm sure it's a combination of the post op diet and recovering from surgery. It sounds like you were doing an awful lot when the fainting spell hit. Slow down. I know you probably feel better but your body still has a lot of healing to do internally. People don't realize the enormous amount of energy your body uses when trying to heal itself, especially from surgery. Couple that with the fact you're likely nutrient deficient right now, it's little wonder you felt like you were going to pass out.

Slow down, give your body time to recover :)

Had a rough evening last night, kinda a similar episode, but chalked it up to a Panic attack. Which I do have meds but didn't take it lasted about a half hour. I was scared but I think it's just the gas, recovery and liquids. Tomorrow I can add protien shakes and cream of wheat too. I think I need it, though I'm not Hungrry. ;) it takes time. Be careful, I'm praying for us all

I went through the EXACT same thing for the first week. My surgeon told me it's caused from not taking in enough Protein. What are they allowing you to eat? I had nothing but Soup broth, so in my case I think that feeling was from not taking in more than 100 calories a day. I was allowed to have a Protein shake but I almost got stuck on my first one, (started sliming and everything) so I had to stop taking them until week two. I admit I cheated a little and started the week two diet one day earlier because of those issues. I literally couldn't function, I had to take another entire week off of work because my body was too weak to get up. My husband had to go with me and hold my hand for the little five minute walks, and a couple times I still almost didn't make it. For me, the effects that the post-op diet had on me where a hundred times worse than the surgery itself.

My problems went away almost completely when I started the second week diet and was able to get back up to 500-600 calories again. I'd give your band doctor another call, maybe he'll let you start the second week diet early since you're supposed to start tomorrow anyway (I assume?). In the meantime, try to take it easy. You won't notice it as much if you rest a lot. You might also be suffering from low blood sugar. If that's the case, warm apple cider helped me out a lot.

Same thing happened to me one week post op. orthostatic hypotension. I started making sure I was getting enough fluids in to maintain my BP because I was bottoming out. Be sure to sit up slowly and dangle on the side of bed or the couch and get up slowly, stand for a min or two before moving to let your BP stabilize. Then move. Good luck. Drink plenty of fluids. Get some broth for the sodium as well.

Had a rough evening last night, kinda a similar episode, but chalked it up to a Panic attack. Which I do have meds but didn't take it lasted about a half hour. I was scared but I think it's just the gas, recovery and liquids. Tomorrow I can add protien shakes and cream of wheat too. I think I need it, though I'm not Hungrry. ;) it takes time. Be careful, I'm praying for us all

you will love the cream of wheat I have to eat it very running but my DR allowed me to start it yesturday and it has helped greatly with the gas it just never came back after I started using it I make the instant( with soy vanilla milk) and split it into little tiny containers it takes me all day to finish one instant pack but it has made a world of difference for me..... Good Luck and enjoy

I went through the EXACT same thing for the first week. My surgeon told me it's caused from not taking in enough Protein. What are they allowing you to eat? I had nothing but Soup broth, so in my case I think that feeling was from not taking in more than 100 calories a day. I was allowed to have a Protein shake but I almost got stuck on my first one, (started sliming and everything) so I had to stop taking them until week two. I admit I cheated a little and started the week two diet one day earlier because of those issues. I literally couldn't function, I had to take another entire week off of work because my body was too weak to get up. My husband had to go with me and hold my hand for the little five minute walks, and a couple times I still almost didn't make it. For me, the effects that the post-op diet had on me where a hundred times worse than the surgery itself.

My problems went away almost completely when I started the second week diet and was able to get back up to 500-600 calories again. I'd give your band doctor another call, maybe he'll let you start the second week diet early since you're supposed to start tomorrow anyway (I assume?). In the meantime, try to take it easy. You won't notice it as much if you rest a lot. You might also be suffering from low blood sugar. If that's the case, warm apple cider helped me out a lot.

my DR alllowed me to move up a couple days and I am so greatful I feel so good today

6 days post surgery and so far everything has been pretty much as expected. Until this morning. I got up, fed the dogs, let the chickens out and collected the stray eggs, made a cup of tea and sat down in the rocker to enjoy the tea and figure out what I was going to eat for breakfast. Then the world caved in around me. At first I thought I was going to vomit and had my husband scrambling for a bucket. Then I realized I was actually about to pass out. I was able to get to the couch and lie down. After about 15 minutes I was feeling better. I called the surgeon's number and the aprn wasn't excited about it, said it was just all the changes, which makes sense. Now I'm waiting for a call back from my primary care doc to tell me how they want me to handle my bp meds. No one seems too upset- only me. Hope this isn't a regular thing, because I am not enjoying it at all!

it sure must have been scary for you. im wondering about your blood sugar levels... and remembering that your body is going through tremendous changes right now. and thats hormonal as well. i hope that its only an isolated incident. i have episodes where some days im giddy off an on all day. Other days not so much. it could be not enough Fluid with me though and im battling trying to change that.i crush my b/p meds up and put them in my coffee of a morning... about mid morning. it goes down well.

UPDATE I spoke with a doctor from my primary care's office. Her thoughts are that it was a culmination of everything everyone here has mentioned, but especially the BP. Big news- one week post surgery I am off BP meds! It may be temporary, but my pressures are running about 105/75! Once I get back to work (school) who knows, but they are asking me to monitor, medicate, and comunicate with them. Weee haaaa, now for the cholesterol medication! Then I'll be drug free! Today I can start adding mush foods which should help since I can't stand the Protein Shakes anymore. Thanks for everyone's advise and support. You all are the BEST!

@farmgirl04...Happy to hear... wonderful news about the BP medicine..on to mushies i must say I am jealous ;) ...I don't think I can move foward until the 30th I am working hard on trying to get my intake up

Good to hear:). I'm doing much better today and start full liquid:)!!!! I wish you all the luck in the world.

UPDATE I spoke with a doctor from my primary care's office. Her thoughts are that it was a culmination of everything everyone here has mentioned, but especially the BP. Big news- one week post surgery I am off BP meds! It may be temporary, but my pressures are running about 105/75! Once I get back to work (school) who knows, but they are asking me to monitor, medicate, and comunicate with them. Weee haaaa, now for the cholesterol medication! Then I'll be drug free! Today I can start adding mush foods which should help since I can't stand the Protein Shakes anymore. Thanks for everyone's advise and support. You all are the BEST!

ohhh.. what wonderful news for you.... and im jealous lol. im still on meds for high b/p.... but i hope to get off them eventually. Your cholesterol level was good as well?? you are off to a wonderful start. congratulations !! .. its well worth it. !!