Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Fill, Kind Of A Terrible Experience

So I go for my first fill last week, and everything started off going really well. The doctor was super nice and I really liked her, she offered to numb the area but I decided to tough it out and not have it! Then she started, and she couldn't find the port. She was pushing down on the area, which I understand because she's trying to find it, but it didn't take long for that to start to really hurt because it's still sore from surgery apparently! Then she started sticking me with the needle, still couldn't find it. She was pushing rather hard with the needle too, it made me really nervous! So then I'm pretty sure tears started to form at that point and she offered to numb it again. So I had it number, and she finally got it, but it looked like she stabbed me 5 times with that needle before she found it. She did mention the first time is the hardest and then after that she'll mark in my record where it's located. Now it's still sore a week later, and there's a bruise there.

Is this normal? it's not possible for her to jab the tubing with the needle while she was missing is it? Am I just being a baby about this? lol :P

Also, she made me an appointment to come back in two weeks. From what I've been ready, 4 weeks is the normal amount of time. Has anyone only had two weeks between fills?

my doc had me lay my chest on a pillow and arch my back, he could see it. never felt a thing!

maybe you can help her out next time!!

I had a tad bit of discomfort with the first fill, but my doc too said the first is always the worst. I did not have any bruising or multiple sticks at all. I used no lidocaine or anything either.

I am getting a second fill two weeks after the first b/c of no restriction. I am not sure how long other docs wait though.

I hope you feel better soon!

My MD always numbs the area, no question or option, just does. Has never had a problem finding my port. I have had a visit 2 weeks after a fill, and that isn't abnormal. Probably wants to make sure that things are going well since the fill. Don't expect to necessarily get another fill 2 weeks later. Especially if you are doing well.

My first and second fills were like that, unfortunately. The last one was super easy though. As you lose weight, it will get easier, because the fat covering the abdominal muscles and port will shrink, and the port will be easier to find.

My first fill was a lot of poking too- my surgeon never removed the needle, but did move it around. She also kept hitting the side of the port and not the small center.

Since then, she is spot on every time.

She sounds terribly inexperienced to me! The only time I have ever been poked more than once with the needle was my last fill, about my fourth, when my port had tilted slightly. Otherwise it's been a very simple painless process.

One time I used a different doc for a fill and he did poke and prod and I got a nasty bruise. I think it's a skill they need to develop. I think the tubing is too far inside to get damaged, but maybe others can chime in on that point.

My doctor has me lie down on the table and then he feels to find the port and gives me my fill. I've had two fills and he was right on Target both times, one stick only.

One time I used a different doc for a fill and he did poke and prod and I got a nasty bruise. I think it's a skill they need to develop. I think the tubing is too far inside to get damaged, but maybe others can chime in on that point.

Some have had their tubing punctured by Dr's. This is one reason I would never let another Dr other than my surgeon do anything with the band- if they ruin it, it's doubtful they will admit it and my Dr would know it wasn't her.

Having the surgeon that put it in, do the fills, has the added benefit of them knowing where the port should be.

I have a friend who got her tubing punctured and they didn't figure it out for a year!

I have a friend who got her tubing punctured and they didn't figure it out for a year!

how did your friend get on?? what trouble did she have with a puncture ??

Just had my first fill today. My surgeon did it, so he knew exactly where he'd put the port. He numbed me up, no questions asked and hit that port with the first injection... nothing to it. Wham, Bam, Thank you Mam!

My first fill was done by my surgeon, no problems, one poke and it was over. Sorry you went through that :(