Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Irritated At People

Yesterday was my grandsons birthday party. Imagine my surprise when I overhead people discussing the fact that I'm having lapband surgery. All I heard was negativity from people who have no clue about it. I heard things like people have died from that, my friends wife died a year after having it blah blah blah. I kindly told them that if they wanted to discuss MY surgery and MY life at least do the research first and get the facts. They thought they could discourage me from having the surgery but its made me more determined. These are people who are diabetic but ate everything they shouldn't and not only in small amounts! So for those of you who have the same issues with people don't worry about it. There is always going to be someone talking about what you are doing especially those who can't handle their own lives. I say let them talk because that's all it is.

sweetie, i so understand

i swear people sometimes have no common courtesy

i am sorry you had to be affected by them. i wish i could do or say something to make you feel better.

you are doing this for you

that is what you should focus on

you will people who say stuff about WLS because they do not know (and only what they heard/read about in the past) not what it is now. all surgeries of any kind has complications.

you getting well is what matters.

as my hub would say, prove them wrong GF.

Thanks And my husband fully supports me getting this surgery. If he didn't he wouldn't be paying for it. I just hate that people who don't know anything about the surgery want to act like they ate experts on the matter. I am aware of the risks but also aware of the benefits. I trust my surgeon and trust that God will watch over me. My mother stated yesterday that she hopes nothing happens. I told her that she wasn't very encouraging. She said well you know they said they knew people who died. I just told her that if God was ready for me then I couldn't stop it. I could walk out the door today and something happen. Life is not guaranteed so you live it and make the best of it and do everything you can to be healthy and prolong it. My trust in God is what has gotten me this far. If my surgery wasn't meant to happen it wouldn't.

people die everyday from things (heck go to a movie and something horrible happens--who'd ever thought that?) or the flesh eating bacteria??

this surgery, your surgeon will be done/performed.

you will wake up and you will be fine.

people say things because they dont understand

they dont KNOW and they are scared (so they say things like they said about people dying).

just nod your head and say what you said. you handled it well.

Thanks. I tried to do it without getting nasty with them. But I will prove them all wrong when the weight is off. That will be my greatest pleasure.

Remember the Serenity Prayer...none of us are able to change what other people may think, do, or say. If what they say does bother you, then you are allowing them to have power over you.

I've learned to tell others I respect their right to their opinion, however we will agree to disagree. Then tune them out and increase your level of serenity...a wonderful gift only you can give yourself.

Best wishes for your success...

I am guessing these people are worried about what could possibly happen to you in surgery, and are not intending to be mean or hateful. Just as you are getting WLS and don't want people to judge you, you should also refrain from judging others based of food consumption, etc. I notice the further along I get into my journey, I find myself starting to judge someone else who looked like me five months ago and I quickly remind myself of the pain and self hatred I carried with me then. All of us obese people have our own pains and worries in life, and only some of us are willing to drastically change the way we live.

Just keep your head high. The best thing you can do is to tell these people the facts about surgery and prove to them that it does work. Just don't fall prey to the negative comments.

Don't let insignificant people bother you! I have heard the same things but it is my choice and my life.

People are rude... I had a co-worker say yesterday "you won't look good skinny" I told her I would look good skinny, and I'll be health as well. Made me soooo mad. I didint' even mention it to her either, she had heard through the grape-vine I was having surgery...

Rhodes...congrats on how you handled it. Definitely prove them wrong...and you are so right...God's got this!

Slojo67...I can't believe someone said that to you. Congrats to you on your response as well!

God bless you both!

I love the way you handled their whispering and gossiping! You rock! :D

Don't let the ignorant naysayers stand between you and a healthy life. You should be proud of yourself for sticking to your guns and not giving into peer pressure.

Mean people suck! I say this all the time. You just buckle down and show them how it is done!

Mean people so suck!!!

I have heard that a couple of times. What's interesting is that it seems like overweight people have the most to say about it.it's almost like jealousy or something.anyway I like the way u handled it! Good luck to you !

I learned to not worry about people talking behind my back, it just means I'm steps ahead of them. There are people whose opinions I value, but ultimately it's my life and my decisions that I make. Plus, it feels pretty darn good to see people from my past, 50 lbs lighter, and seeing the looks on their faces.