Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Very New! Looking For Friendly Guidance And Advice

I am very new to the lap band procedure...I have an appointment scheduled on 9-4-12. I am excited but also apprehensive because while I have read success stories, I have also read some horror stories. So...any guidance you folks that have been through the process could give me, I would greatly appreciate :-)

Here are some questions I have...

1. Can the procedure be performed with just local anesthesia and IV sedation? I am very afraid of general anesthesia. I can't wait until I see the doctor to ask this and I can't find answers on the internet.)

2. Are there lifting restrictions post-op? I teach Special Ed. and do tons of lifting and positioning.

3. I love to eat - not as an emotional outlet but because I enjoy cooking, baking, going out to eat, and tasting food. I know I can handle the smaller portions post-op and that food types are limited but after the 6 week recovery, can I still go out to eat and eat whatever I want but just in limited portions? For example...can I go to Burger King and eat a couple bites of a Whopper to get the taste but not have any issues? Or will I have to eat pureed foods for a long long time? I crave certain tastes and don't want to live without that.

Those are the only questions I can think of off hand but I'm sure I'll have more as time goes on. And I know I'll eventually get the answers from my physician once I do see him but it's nice to hear feed back from people who have been through the process.

Thanks in advance for your feedback! :)

Well, I got good news and bad news. First of all I don't even have a band yet but I am a nurse and have researched EVERYTHING there is to research on the net about the band. My surgery date is august 28th, can't wait. I have a best friend that was banded 3 years ago and lost 120 lbs she looks awesome...Never had any trouble...But, the bad news is, they use general anesthesia, it's hard to eat bread with the band for some p eople, (my friend can't eat bread it sticks..) she does better with crunch things believe it or not. As far as the lifting,yes there are restrictions you'll have to ask your surgeon about the specifics. But I guarantee you won't be sorry you did it...If you do it... it's a big lifestyle change, but that's why it works!!!

Hello and welcome to the website...Cool questions..here is my answers.

1. I don't think this can be done under a local. They fill your stomach with gas and blow it up, hold you liver in their hands while they put the band around your stomach - nope, I would say not possible. I had mine done in the AM and was home on my couch by late afternoon.

2. I had no lifting restrictions. I was told to take it easy until my post op check but I picked up the dog etc. You will have to listen to your body to decide some of this. I went back to work PT on day 3 and FT on day 5. By day 6 or 7 I felt like a million bucks. I work at a State University.

3. Nothing is better than a BK Whopper ! That being said. I eat the meat and take the lettuce and Tomato and make it into a salad and toss the bread. The bread is where it is going to get you. Most bandsters cannot eat bread and I am one of those. In fact, I cannot even eat an entire burger patty anymore - but I still get the taste. I buy a whopper Jr now and take it apart and eat what a can - throw away the bread.

I have been banded a year and I feel great. I would do it all over again. I am down over 100 pounds with about 40 more to go. I love to eat, cook and throw parties at my house - for me it just no longer revolves around food - As you go through this process, you will find that there are some foods you can no longer eat and some you can but only in very small amounts. We are all different in some aspects. Good luck with your journey and glad you found this site..it is great.

Melinda in Florida

I am very new to the lap band procedure...I have an appointment scheduled on 9-4-12. I am excited but also apprehensive because while I have read success stories, I have also read some horror stories. So...any guidance you folks that have been through the process could give me, I would greatly appreciate :-)

Here are some questions I have...

1. Can the procedure be performed with just local anesthesia and IV sedation? I am very afraid of general anesthesia. I can't wait until I see the doctor to ask this and I can't find answers on the internet sorry to say but they will put you out with an iv. this is major surgery. not a dentist type appt. i stayed overnight.

2. Are there lifting restrictions post-op? I teach Special Ed. and do tons of lifting and positioning.n they told me to wait 1 moth before lifting anything heavy. each dr is different just as each person is.

3. I love to eat - not as an emotional outlet but because I enjoy cooking, baking, going out to eat, and tasting food. I know I can handle the smaller portions post-op and that food types are limited but after the 6 week recovery, can I still go out to eat and eat whatever I want but just in limited portions? For example...can I go to Burger King and eat a couple bites of a Whopper to get the taste but not have any issues? Or will I have to eat pureed foods for a long long time? I crave certain tastes and don't want to live without th sure you can eat whatever you want, but eating whatever you want got you to where you needed weight loss surgery. the band is a plastic thing that goes around your stomach. will fills, it will make you eat less. its up to you to choose what to eat. if you eat junk, salt, high fat/processed......fast foods, what do you think will happen?? yes you can eat those items but not all the time. you need to change your mental game before surgery.

Those are the only questions I can think of off hand but I'm sure I'll have more as time goes on. And I know I'll eventually get the answers from my physician once I do see him but it's nice to hear feed back from people who have been through the process.

Thanks in advance for your feedback! :)

all the best and this forum is the best place for friendship and support. :)

Hi and welcome! I have been banded about 9 months and lost 71 lbs so far. Definitely can not be done under a local. I only had restrictions on lifting heavy things for about the first week. My surgery was Friday and I took the following week off, but honestly, I could have gone back to work the following Monday. I am also one of those that can not eat bread, Pasta, rice, tortillas, etc. I wouldn't even worry about what you think you will want to eat because that all will change. I live in SoCal and the big thing here is In-N-Out, their burgers are aMaZiNg! I was scared I would crave it and feel like I was suffering. I have no cravings for red meat at all now. I would prefer to not be around it really. Not saying this specific change will happen to you, but your tastes will def change. I had to do mooshies for 2 weeks after, then it went to soft for a week and then started back on normal foods. I can't do lettuce now unless it is shredded, so salads are hard for me. I eat a lot of Protein mostly. Also, love crunchy foods. They go down quite well. It will definitely be worth it! Don't stress the changes, because your body helps you with that. Just look forward to a year from now, how healthy you will be and how great you will look!

i think the only way they can do it is general anesthesia and my post op restrictions are no lifting more then 30 lbs for 3 months. i had laperscopy 5 incisions

1. Can the procedure be performed with just local anesthesia and IV sedation? I am very afraid of general anesthesia. I can't wait until I see the doctor to ask this and I can't find answers on the internet.) No, they can't perform this procedure under local or MAC (IV Sedation). You need to be under full anesthesia since they are working in your abdomen. When they fill your abdomen with air to be able to move the laparoscope around, it will cause too much pressure on your diaphragm and you will feel like you can't breathe. Trust me, general anesthesia is the way to go. I asked my surgeon to do an ovary removal under MAC but he said any time they enter the abdomen and use air, general is typically required.

2. Are there lifting restrictions post-op? I teach Special Ed. and do tons of lifting and positioning. Every surgeon is different but you will probably have some lifting limitations post-op for a few weeks. My surgeon recommended no strenuous activity for two weeks post, until I saw him for the follow-up and was cleared. After the two week mark and I was cleared, I was able to start full exercises including ab exercises.

3. I love to eat - not as an emotional outlet but because I enjoy cooking, baking, going out to eat, and tasting food. I know I can handle the smaller portions post-op and that food types are limited but after the 6 week recovery, can I still go out to eat and eat whatever I want but just in limited portions? For example...can I go to Burger King and eat a couple bites of a Whopper to get the taste but not have any issues? Or will I have to eat pureed foods for a long long time? I crave certain tastes and don't want to live without that. There are a few different theories on this. There have been some very successful bandsters that still eat their normal way but just a lot less amount. That method wouldn't work for me; I'm an all-or-nothing girl so I completely avoid the burgers, fries, sandwiches, etc. I made a lifestyle change to become successful, and focus my diet on only Protein, fruit, and veggies. Honestly, I don't even miss the Big Macs or chicken McNuggets. My body doesn't need that type of food, so I don't eat it. I'm eating to live now, not living to eat. And it feels GOOD! Also - you will have a dietary protocol to follow post-op. The most typical transition is Clear liquids for a few days, then full liquids, puree, soft/moist, then normal food. You will find that there are foods that you can't tolerate with your band though.

My best advice is make sure you are completely prepared for this. I am following my doctors instructions to a T and have been quite successful so far. I had a LOT of work to do on myself before I felt ready for the band. I made sure before surgery that my brain was completely in check, and I haven't regretted one second of being banded.

I can eat ANYTHING. That is not to say that sometimes I don't have some serious "stuck" episodes. If I eat slow enough, and take small enough bites waiting between each bite I can eat anything. bread, Pasta etc. I tend to stay away from these things because they can and have caused problems. But if I really really take my time... no problem. (I can eat about 1/2 of a burger with bun) One bite too many and it can also come up.

I'm sure you've read these words before but I will say them again. Everyone is different.

Good Luck with your decision. (best decision I've EVER made)

One of my all-time fav quotes:

"I'm so stinkin' thrilled with my weight loss I dont even care about what i can't eat!" Pink Dahlia