Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A thread for super-sized bandsters - starting BMI over 50?

Teresita,

When I get to feeling like that, I just go to sleep. It's the only thing, to me, that's as good as food. Drugs probably would be, but I'm not doing all this work to trade one problem for another. You don't have to rely on other people, but you do have to face what's stressing you and find an alternate source of relief. For me, sleep or, if that's not possible, zoning out to really loud music will usually be an adequate substitute.

Good luck and keep us posted.

JulieNYC you must have your date wrong when you were banded because it looks like you have lost 85 pounds since April.:)

Jewels you are so cute, Congratulations!!!!

I do the opposite. When I'm stressed I will avoid food. I will also avoid people. I need to be left alone so that I can analyze & process the situation. Stressful day at work -- I'll not eat the entire day, and won't even realize it until I try to remember what I had for dinner, and then realize - oh, I didn't have dinner...

Don't feel that you have to share problems with people. The best people can give you is external advice. If privacy is what matters, never feel like you have to break that. You don't owe anyone anything (ok, I owe my mortgage holder, but you know what I mean :) )

JulieNYC you must have your date wrong when you were banded because it looks like you have lost 85 pounds since April.:)

I have lost 85 lbs since April -- thanks for noticing! I know this rate won't last forever, but I'm riding it till the wheels fall off.

:funscale: Hello All,

I currently weight 350 and am 5 ft 9. My surgery is on Friday September 29th at Memorial Hospital with Dr. Walter Rose.

I am on day 2 of my preop plan and drinking strawberry Glucerna right now trying to stay occupied. These 2 weeks may be a little rough but I can do it.

Any tips or suggestions you have to get through this phase or any tips for Surgery I would appreciate it.

Hope you all are doing well.

Larry,

For me, the life saver was SF popsicles. I like the Flavor-Ice Light brand because they're only 2.5 calories per ice pop, so it's truly guilt free. You can usually get them at Rite-Aid from what I hear, though I buy them online in bulk. Ha! Good luck on your surgery. You're going to do great.

Samantha,

You're in the right place. Read the archives until you feel like you you know everything there is to know about the band, then if you have any specific questions come back and post. You'll get the most responses if you start a new topic (at least if it's one that isn't covered in the archives), though if it's a question specifically related to "super-sized" bandsters, you can always ask it here and we'll all answer. Good luck on the beginning of your journey. I took 3 years researching the band and wish I'd only taken a few months and not wasted that time. The band is the best thing I've ever done for myself.

Take care all,

Hi everyone.

My name is Melissa, I'm 32 years old, and I'm beginning the process to get my lap band surgery done. Tomorrow I meet with the nutritionists :yippee:

I'm 5'0 1/4" tall, and weigh 313lbs which makes my BMI 60.6

I live in Upstate NY near Albany, and will be going with Dr. Paul Singh at Albany Med.

I've been researching the Lap Band for about 3 years now, and have to get my BMI under 40 in order to qualify to get treated by Albany IVF so I can try to get pregnant.

I'm looking forward to learning and having support from all of you :D

Welcome, Melissa! Glad to have you join us on this journey.

Sounds like you've done your homework and are ready for this life-changing event. I was banded less than five months ago, and my BMI has already dropped more than 10 points (55.4 to 44.6). So that magical BMI number is attainable, I promise!

BTW, I live in the Berkshires, so we're almost neighbors.

thank you for the advise Julie and trust me I am reading anything I can about it so I can make the best decision which right now I am just starting the process.

samantha

p.s. congrats on all the weight loss must feel good.

Thank you for the welcomes!

I'm so excited to be beginning this journey :D

My hubby is considering following in my footsteps after I have the surgery done (he's 6'2" and weighs 320lbs)

Hi! I posted twice when I first joined this group, but have lurked via the e-mailed compiling of posts since then… To reintroduce myself, I’m 32 & have a BMI of 55.8 at 5’2” / 305 lbs, and have been chunky since getting my period in 5th grade. I’ve been researching this procedure for about 6 years. My dh’s employer (the county we live in) will NOT buy into the morbid obesity rider offered by our health insurance. I stay at home with our 2 kids (dd-1 & ds-3), living on a tight “County pay” budget, and self-pay would tap out our entire savings – which I am reluctant to do, for obvious reasons. That’s my story.

I’m writing again today because I’ve really been torn lately about going forward because of the self-pay, but I am starting to feel that desperate. My real fear is that the surgery won’t work for me because I am not a “classic” overeater in the 1st place. My problem is two fold, 1) I’m not an exerciser & never have been; 2) I have real no sense of hunger, or fullness. Are/were any of you like me? What was your success after Banding?

I will literally not eat or drink a thing all day until dinner with the family, and not feel the least bit hungry at all. Then, once the meal starts, I have no sensation of fullness either -- unless I’ve eaten too much. :hungry: By too much, I don’t mean going back for seconds; I just “clean my plate” which often contains “American” serving sizes, not the proper “portion control” servings I know I should be eating. I eat what my husband (185lbs@5’8”) eats. I eat less than what my best friend (skinny!) eats. I don’t “closet eat” though we do have junk foods in the house, which I am here with all day, every day. I’ve had several ‘family practice’ doctors tell me that yo-yo dieting since 12 years old, combined with routinely skipping meals has killed my metabolism. That my body thinks it’s in a constant state of starvation & reserves every calorie I consume. Yada, yada, yada.

Do I sound familiar to any of you? Or am I the obesity anomaly I feel like?? When I read the postings, here & on other boards, I am not finding “myself” among the posts! Will this surgery even work for me, for a person with a ‘starvation metabolism’…? I have not asked a surgeon this, despite having attended 3 LabBand presentations with different clinics in our area. The seminars just don’t seem like the place, but to get in for a one-one-one consultation is always quite a production with applications etc. & come at a hefty fee.

Okay…babbling :blabla: , I’m sorry. But I felt like it would help if I thoroughly explained my situation. I appreciate your feedback!

Thanks,

Suzanne