Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A thread for super-sized bandsters - starting BMI over 50?

ok - i am not eating a ton although i am eating too quickly, no sliming but sometimes i feel full. my concern is why have i not dropped 1 oz of wt since going on mushies 2 wks ago?!?!?!?! i am still eating a LOT less than pre-band so help me? what the hell is going on? thanks guys for letting me rant! :rolleyes:

Hi Dezadoo....I did the exact same thing and it was making me mental!!! I decided to stay away from scale-obsession. Lo and behold when I went for my 7-week check-up I had lost 7 more pounds. Surgeon said muscle weight weighs more than fat and when your body is adjusting to weight loss you are shifting weight. He said throw the scales out and rely on clothes, movement and hunger. When you feel hungry after eating you need a fill.

May not help but thought I'd share.

School this week??? Good luck.

Ruthie

Hi everyone. Not sure if I am in the right thread but I suppose its a place to start. I just got a question. My husband and I are both being banded. Does anyone think it would be a problem to do it the same day? We have a 5 year old but my mother will come stay with us. Any help on this issue will be wonderful. Thanks

You should be fine :rolleyes: and I think it is sweet that you are doing it together :girl_hug:

Gaining on mushies is very normal. You did preop diet then basically starved for two weeks on liquids now all of a sudden you are eating again and your body is saying food! must store it! This will pass ass you move into solids, then it will be a matter of caloric intake and how much willpower you have till you are able to get restriction. No one expects someone to lose prior to getting fills. You are healing and that is all that matters. I know you are eager to lose and I know frst hand that desire, but trust me it will come. So relax and enjoy your pudding :girl_hug:

Well, I'm glad I posted that message yesterday ad today has been a disaster...I'm like Kim at the moment sooo hungry but I know it's head hunger!!! and i'm still eating, goes to show you can know the tricks but that makes it easier to not do them (if you see what I mean lol)

I think I need a fill NOW, my first fill is 28th September, but thats too long, I can eat almost anything at the moment and much bigger quantities than I've ever been able to before. I'm going to phone my surgeons secretary on monday and see if it's possible to get one earlier, probably not as here in the uk you get what your given, but God loves a trier!! otherwise I think I'l gain more weight..

Fills don't help with head hunger. Keeping busy, talking to people in person preferably or via phone if that's the only way, going to a church, jogging, working out at the gym, taking a drive, going for a swim, almost anything to occupy your mind is better than being home doing nothing or watching TV.

Head hunger needs head treatment. Support groups or one on one counseling are most helpful. Then there is the last resort of mind-games. Say I will not eat until the clock strikes the next hour. If you make that, go for the next hour. If you can't make it to the next hour, shoot for the next half-hour mark. Keep trying to extend yourself.

It is hard. I went through it. Most of us went through it.

oh damn, thanks waterlily I guess i have head hunger a lot...and last night I went to the drive in and ate:popcorn: and more :popcorn: It was a triple bill and everyone around me was eating it and I smelled it and poof, I was back in the zone.

I like you all have alot to get right. its so hard being with the cravings. i catch myself sneaking like a mini candy bar or something like that. i hate it i cant wait till i move out and have our own place so that i can buy my own food. it sux so much. argh.

:help: I was banded on 8/23/06 and lost 13lbs the first week but now I have not lost any more weight. I am drinking 64oz of water/day but I don't have much of an appetite and walk or go to Curves for 30min/day. Has anyone had the same thing happen to them or am I doing something wrong?

Think the scales problem is pretty universal. I'm going through the same thing now, nearly 2 1/2 weeks with no weight loss. 2nd fill was a week ago, and doc said I didn't have to go back to liquids, only a 1/2 cc fill. I'm experiencing that only certain foods will go down. Alot I can't eat, and then very little when I do. My clothes are looser, and I'm getting more active, so even though I get exasperated at that scale, I must be doing something right. I think we just have to hang in there for a while to see some results. (I know, I want it fast too)

ofps

Always remember that muscle weighs more than fat. If you are more active now than you were then you are probably building muscle. If the scale isn't moving but you are getting smaller, you are indeed losing fat but gaining valuable muscle. Eventually the weight will drop off faster for the muscle you have built :welldoneclap: Just keep making good choices (I fail a lot too) and walk or go to the gym and it will happen.

kimason - don't be so hard on yourself - you were only banded in August.

You are still healing until your first fill, and maybe even for months beyond that. It may take many more fills after that to achieve good restriction.

All you need to focus on for now is making sure your primary diet is providing you enough nutirents and calories to ensure you have great healing and wellbeing.

Don't sweat too much about how much or how often you are eating at this stage, but do try and keep it within reason. Don't compare yourself or your progress with others - this is destructive when you feel like you're not moving along as fast as you'd like. From what I understand, having restriction in your band helps immensely to deal with many of the snack and head hunger issues. (I hope it does, because it's a worry point for me too).

My wt loss counsellor suggested to me that I need to learn a whole new way of thinking about life and food - to lose the diet mentality. Maybe you could join me as I take some time out to relearn the things that provide a sense of wellbeing and inner peace. Take time to sit in the sun, read a book, get a massage, do you hair / nails etc - whatever makes you feel positive. Try and make it a habit. You'll soon find yourself seeing everything in a whole new, more mangeable way. It's a challenge, but an enjoyable one, and I find it's helping with the food thing!

Big hugs to you!:welldoneclap: :):D :biggrin1:

OK, I'm officially on a plateau. I haven't dropped in 2 weeks. I know I'm doing everything I can (eating right, exercising, drinking my water), but my body just likes 280. Maybe it was a set-point for me, who knows. Maybe I'll drop 5 lbs overnight sometime soon, who knows. But what DO I know? That this is the PITS!

I went through this when I was around 305 as well. Maybe it's just something my body does every 25 lbs or so. I do recall that when it broke, I slid through the 290s very quickly. Let's hope for that.