Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A thread for super-sized bandsters - starting BMI over 50?

I just found out that my mom can't take me to my surgery now. :(

I don't know what to do? It is 2 hours away and she was suppossed to be taking me and staying with me until I come home. I have to go down there the day before surgery so I can't take myself. This is so stressful...:rain:I swear when it rains it POURS!!!!!!

That stinks April! Maybe you could have another family member take you or a friend? My mom is going to fly down from Michigan (I live in FL) to be here for my surgery. At first she wasn't going to come at all but I kinda gave her a guilt trip about it and now she wouldn't miss it.

On another note, I went to the pulmonologist yesterday and he thinks I have sleep apnea. I don't have any of the symptoms and I told him that. I sleep great, don't wake up gasping or choking, feel rested etc. He looked in my mouth and apparently because I have large tonsils, he thinks that I might have it. Tomorrow night I have to wear this oxygen thing on my finger. If my oxygen level drops overnight, I guess that means I stopped breathing. I just hope this doesn't delay my surgery! I just got approved and now I feel like I am hitting more bumps in the road! Grrrr!

April-I don't know how much this costs or if you could afford it but if there is nobody else to take you, there are companies that hire out companions for older people and a lot of times, they will hire out people to stay with you after an operation. Just a thought.

that is a much better idea than what i did.

i was alone for my surgeries, and i was staying two hours away too! (galveston to houston). I wound up having to take a cab. To have the cabbie wait for me (HUGE mistake) AND the ride was 450 dollars!!!!!!! TALK to your dr immediately. You might can do shuttle up to hospital, arrange overnight stay and then take shuttle or bus back.

I was alonefor my recoveries, both of them and you will be great! just fill your meds before you go and get you some special k waters, Protein Shakes like Atkins or low carb slim fast, make sure you got toilet paper in the bathroom and get three days worth of movies, books, puzzles, laptop etc around a table to access easilly. after three days you will be tip top.

OH and beef and chicken broth!!!! lots n lots of that. jello!!! need jello!

if you preplan as much as you can, your going to be great. DOnt wait to talk to your dr, call his office asap and ask them about "what if your on your own".

MM, (mary!) i just saw that you hit your first goal! congratulations!!!!! fifty lbs is a LOT. i forget sometimes how much it actually is. i go to the grocery store and look at a lb of butter...then imagine FIFTY of those....woO! you go!

Hi everyone! I am curious if anyone on this thread has had their panniculectomy/tummy tuck yet? I was wondering at what weight you had it, what "grade" they considered your "overhang" to be, and how much weight you lost as a result of the surgery?

I did some research on the pannus removal a few months ago, and decided I would wait until I was at a BMI of 35, but I'm starting to think I may not get down that far and I'm considering seeing a plastic surgeon now, at 280 lbs. But I'm worried that he's going to laugh me out of the office and tell me to get myself back on the treadmill rather than book me for a surgery.

I've lost over 150 pounds with the lapband, but my stomach hangs as low as it ever did. It's frustrating and it really holds me back, physically and mentally.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks fo rthe advice everyone. As it turns out my mom is going to try and fly in for to San Francisco for the day I get released from the hospital and drive me back to Sacramento in my car. This way she can stay in Southern CA to work up through my surgery. My best friend said she is going to try and drive out there for my surgery day to be there when I go in and come out of surgery. I will defintely take the advice of preparing my house for after surgery ahead of time....HOPEFULLY I can get my stuff all unpacked and get settled in this weekend that way next weekend I can prepare for the surgery. I have so much unpacking to do but I have been so busy. I only had 1 day to move and now I have been working the my normal 10 hour swing shift all week since the move. Not to mention I found out today that my grandmother is at my parents house from out of town and we are having an early Thanksgiving dinner on Sunday with her. (Makes me happy I get to Celebrate Thanksgiving w/my family) Since I am going to be recovering from my surgery 2 weeks before the holiday. But I CAN'T over do it!!! I can't put on anymore weight, matter of fact I am need to lose 5 lbs by Thursday next week, since I accidentally put on 5 lbs and if my surgeon sees that next week he will cancel my surgery :car: I DON'T WANT THAT!!!

Thanks fo rthe advice everyone. As it turns out my mom is going to try and fly in for to San Francisco for the day I get released from the hospital and drive me back to Sacramento in my car. This way she can stay in Southern CA to work up through my surgery. My best friend said she is going to try and drive out there for my surgery day to be there when I go in and come out of surgery. I will defintely take the advice of preparing my house for after surgery ahead of time....HOPEFULLY I can get my stuff all unpacked and get settled in this weekend that way next weekend I can prepare for the surgery. I have so much unpacking to do but I have been so busy. I only had 1 day to move and now I have been working the my normal 10 hour swing shift all week since the move. Not to mention I found out today that my grandmother is at my parents house from out of town and we are having an early Thanksgiving dinner on Sunday with her. (Makes me happy I get to Celebrate Thanksgiving w/my family) Since I am going to be recovering from my surgery 2 weeks before the holiday. But I CAN'T over do it!!! I can't put on anymore weight, matter of fact I am need to lose 5 lbs by Thursday next week, since I accidentally put on 5 lbs and if my surgeon sees that next week he will cancel my surgery :car: I DON'T WANT THAT!!!

April,

5lbs doesn't sound like a whole lot, but try losing it and you think "oh my gosh, how?" I was on a 2 week pre-op Protein Shake Meal Replacement, it was the hardest thing I think I have ever done, but I lost 15 pounds in that 2 weeks. Maybe if you did meal replacement Protein Shakes for Breakfast and dinner and have a low calorie, high Protein lunch, and drink PLENTY of Water I think you can do it:clap2:. I'm glad your mom is going to be able to make it for your surgery, having the support of family is really important even if you don't think so at the time.

Good luck and keep us posted on how everything goes.

Hi everyone! I am curious if anyone on this thread has had their panniculectomy/tummy tuck yet? I was wondering at what weight you had it, what "grade" they considered your "overhang" to be, and how much weight you lost as a result of the surgery?

I did some research on the pannus removal a few months ago, and decided I would wait until I was at a BMI of 35, but I'm starting to think I may not get down that far and I'm considering seeing a plastic surgeon now, at 280 lbs. But I'm worried that he's going to laugh me out of the office and tell me to get myself back on the treadmill rather than book me for a surgery.

I've lost over 150 pounds with the lapband, but my stomach hangs as low as it ever did. It's frustrating and it really holds me back, physically and mentally.

Any advice would be appreciated.

congrats on 150 lb. i am very interested in a pannie as well. you may want to check out the plastics threads .. I will probably wait til I get to about 200 for my LBL (another 69-70 lbs). but I'd like to start looking for my batwings in the next 30ish pounds. who knows though????

My batwings are just evil. I can deal with the rest of me but the ol' wings stop me from wearing many clothes. It's terrible trying on clothes when you love the colour and how it fits everywhere else but the sleeves are too short/tight.

April, I don't *think* he will cancel your surgery at this point but wants you to believe he will... but you should attempt to lose it anyway. Otherwise, you will worry about it. Just go on liquids for the next two days (easier said than done) and you'll be right. If you haven't lost it, just tell them that you've been trying really hard and that you think it's women related. Also tell them how much effort you have gone to to organise it and remind them of how much you *have* lost.

Is anyone else having trouble getting on to this website?? Seems like it was down all day yesterday and I'm not finding any posts from yesterday either. I've been gone most of the day today, but still having problems getting here intermittently. Wonder if they've been working on it or something.

Yes, it was definitely down all day yesterday. I have been on a few times today and it seems ok.

Indio made a comment about "Transfer Addictions" a couple of days ago. I found out what mine is when the site was down yesterday. I was having a "woe is me" day already and then to make matters worse, I couldn't get on LapTalk ALL day long! I didn't know what to do with myself! Although I did make some progress continuing the process of sorting through my clothes. We're doing our "Snowbird" thing in a couple of days so I'm trying not to take clothes that are already baggy on me. But I'm finding I'm really attached to some of those things! Having to let go!