Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A thread for super-sized bandsters - starting BMI over 50?

I am looking for someone that has had the lap band surgery in the Atlanta Georgia area. My insurance does not cover the cost so I am going to have to pay for it myself. I wanted to know who people in Atlanta are using or if there is someone else that does it better in another state? I am willing to travel if necessary. I would love to hear from someone. I have more than 150 pounds to lose and I am 5feet 4 inches tall. I am new to this process but want to do this and have now made up my mind.

I started with a bmi over 60 and have now got it down to 51.2, I was banded in 2001 but have no fuid in the band and failed to lose weight due to unrelated medical problems that almost lead to losng the band and having to rely on baby food consistency food and fluids. I finally have the other issues undercontrol and I have been able to modify the usual band rules ( with the guidance of dietician etc) and have been able to lose 56.5 pounds since november!! Its always seemed an almost impossible task to lose over 50 % of my weight - it has been so good to find other people who need to lose such large amounts of weight and are doing well- it make it seem like a challenge that can be met

Wheetsin,

That was great! I enjoyed a good laugh:biggrin1: . I can't wait to have that conversation w/my doc in a year or so!!:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

CONGRATULATIONS!!

Turner24

I just LOVE this thread. My BMI is somewhere between a 51-54. got my 1st denial and am now appealing. DH has decided that we are going to go ahead and self pay in the mean time. He is so sweet. We bought some of those self heating sticky pads for my lower back and I told him great just put them over there.. I can't use them unless you are here. With a surprised look he said "What? Why not" so I demonstrated how my arms will not go back that far... good lord if it didn't make him tear up. he knows I struggle but I keep most of it to myself. It really got to him. He wants to go for it asap. I'm a little frustrated now though.. I can't get the surgeon's office to contact me back about self pay. ARGH. Also, since I'm ong the super-sized bandster site I have a taboo subject if you will. am I the only one out there that has to contort and snap my back in half to wipe my bum? it's TERRIBLE. Any suggestions? sigh:cry

Hi synicalchick, and welcome. :)

My BMI was at least as high as yours, I think a little higher, but I did not have motility or "reachability" issues, for the most part. It had gotten DAMN challenging to trim up "down there", because I couldn't really see beyond my stomach and had to do things blindly or using a mirror. And I had to learn to paint my toes with my legs crossed (man style) instead of being able to tuck my knee under my chin.

Didn't have problems with the bum, but do have a suggestion. I used to volunteer in the physical therapy wing of a hospital, and they used to advise people who couldn't get to their bums (for whatever reason) to stand up slightly and bend forward, and then wipe from underneath. Granted you're always advised to wipe "away" from the rest of you, but they just told people not to go all the way. So bend forward, instead of bending around, and instead of reaching down and pulling back, reach back and pull forward. Just not all the way forward. :) Kind of liek how yuo'd move if you had a zipper at your tailbone, and wanted to zip yourself closed. :D

Umm, I hope that makes sense.

I started with a bmi over 60 and have now got it down to 51.2, I was banded in 2001 but have no fuid in the band and failed to lose weight due to unrelated medical problems that almost lead to losng the band and having to rely on baby food consistency food and fluids. I finally have the other issues undercontrol and I have been able to modify the usual band rules ( with the guidance of dietician etc) and have been able to lose 56.5 pounds since november!! Its always seemed an almost impossible task to lose over 50 % of my weight - it has been so good to find other people who need to lose such large amounts of weight and are doing well- it make it seem like a challenge that can be met

WoW Congratulations karen, good luck to you. Sounds like you have had your work cut out for you with other unrelated medical problems. Good for you for getting back on track. 56.5 pounds is magnificent weight loss. Stay with it, I admire your persistance ;)

I need to lose 50% of my body weight also. I hear you with it always seemend impossible to do. Without the band I don't think it would have ever happened, now with the band I have a winning chance :)

Good Luck and congratulations :)

CHEERS to Happy Healthy Eating :)

am I the only one out there that has to contort and snap my back in half to wipe my bum? it's TERRIBLE. Any suggestions? sigh:cry

Because of my weight and severe arthritis in my back this is what I did.

However with 12kilos off, I can wipe like a normal person now ;)

I used to buy cheap nasty SUPER STRONG toilet roll. Tear off a major long length, fold it 3 times, so you end up with a length that drops from about the top of your thigh to the floor. Then twist it like wringing a towel, only more gentle. Using 2 hands, 1 in front, the other behind, place it between your butt cheeks and work/wipe it. Presto the job is done. Always worked a treat for me. Hope you find it useful. If your lucky you will come across shopping centre's, Hotels, restaurants etc that have those new roll out all one length toilet roll dispensers, thats when I discovered how useful one length paper was :)

I dont really worry about failing. I know I will be successful with it. I also know it is a long road. I have been overweight all my life. I think others expect me to fail, which is discouraging and disappointing. I just wish others would keep their mouths shut if they cant be supportive.

But I will succeed. Dammit I will !!!

The more people lose faith in me & expect me to fail, the more I want to prove them wrong. YOU GO GIRL!

Hi Synichalchick

you can actually get "bottom wipers" that come in a variety of designs- they are basically tongs that will hold onto a wad of toilet paper and extend your reach then let you drop the paper down the loo.

http://www.supersizeworld.com/hygiene.htm

here is a link to one site that have seen but if you do a search in most on line medical/rehab suppliers you should find others too!- it is a more common problem that you may realise for both severely overweight and physically disabled individuals

All of you are SO WONDERFUL! I just ordered one on eBay. I think this will be helpful right after surger too so I dont' have to twist. I have a couple of bulging disk in my lower back and having to twist and turn to do normal hygene stuff is ROUGH>

So my surgeon says that the most I could hope to lose is about 130 lbs with the lap band! What? is that true? :omg: I would think that you can lose more then that even if it takes a few years?

I didn't gain it all overnight I dont expect to lose it over night either!

(in the original message i posted the doc toldme 30 pounds...that was a mistake 130 is what he said)

Andrea

350 starting weight 1/22/07

322 weight now 2/1/07

299 mini goal

200 short term goal

170 long term goal

I the only one out there that has to contort and snap my back in half to wipe my bum? it's TERRIBLE. Any suggestions? sigh:cry

I Had that problem too. And I R E F U S E D to let anyone else do it. What I did was... I took a pair of kitchen tongs (bought them for this project never use them in the kitchen ofcourse) Then I bent them slightly. They reach perfectly. The only problem was the paper kept slipping off the ends. To solve that problem I took a pair of gloves that they had there in the hospital room and I wrapped the ends like rubber bands then washed off the powder. That worked perfectly. I have had some other family members ask to borrow them as they have had various types of surgery. They just get a new pair of gloves and wash them of course. I hope this works for you. I am sure they make something like that in the buisness but I never found them and if they do I am sure they cost more than one dollar!

So my surgeon says that the most I could hope to lose is about 30 lbs with the lap band! What? is that true? :omg: I would think that you can lose more then that even if it takes a few years?

I didn't gain it all overnight I dont expect to lose it over night either!

At the risk of sounding VERY opinionated. Your doctor is ignorant and close minded and obviously doesn't ever READ or do ANTHING to educate himself and keep up with the times.. YOU my friend.. need a new friggin' Dr. I bet he's one of those that doesn't believe Fibrymyalgia exists either... mumble mumble mumble... but I digress....

:D

T

I Had that problem too. And I R E F U S E D to let anyone else do it. I am sure they make something like that in the buisness but I never found them and if they do I am sure they cost more than one dollar!

I have to say that I bleed about 48 smackers on eBay yesterday for a tool designed for just that. It's angled AND has a clamp.... Thanks to someone on this thread who recommended it. I never thought about it but there is quite a market out there for it with 'little people' and elderly and us overweight sore lower back folks. 30 pounds ago I never would have thought about something like that or the need of something like that. This also makes me feel better about after surgery if I have to go to the potty.. I TOTALLY didin't want DH to have to take care of me even though he swore he would.

T