Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all! I have finally finished jumping through insurance hoops and am just waiting for approval to get my band. I was wondering what your experiences are with recovery time? I was planning on taking a week off(which is all I can manage). I am a house parent in a group home and I currently care for 12 children. I can pretty much refrain from picking up some of my kiddos and hoisting my bod up into a big huge van but I am worried that I will jar something loose.

Am I being too unrealistic?

Thanks in advance!

Hi there. Well, I just had the surgery on Wednesday, July 25, 2012. Physically, I think a week is good as long as you are able to avoid much lifting. I went for a walk the day of my surgery (with pain killers) and took pain meds the 2nd day but haven't had any since. I have a small suv type vehicle and it is painful getting in and out or up and down from a chair. Walking, no problem, it is the bending or getting up. Everyone is different but typically 1 week is sufficient if you are able to not overexert yourself. Good luck. I find I can cope with the pain but getting used to the restriction (as I am struggling to get liquids down) has been the biggest challenge. As the swelling goes down I know that will improve. It's just weird to get used to.

I think you'll be fine in a week. I went on vacation on my second week and did things like swimming, hiked a cave, etc. I got tired but wasn't in any pain. I carried my 6 yr old (he's light, about 30 lbs) with no problems. My port site was still a little sore for awhile but not painful. It took the longest to heal. Best of luck to you!!

I'm off work 8 days after surgery so I appreciated your question. I am a nurse and can delegate on the llifting part of my job for a while. I was wondering the same thing about how i would feel in a week. Good luck to you...

I'm planning to take a week although I don't do any lifting I want to make sure I can rest & give myself adequate time to heal from what I've been reading most people can't get much nutrition in the first week due to swelling so I think I would b worn out & drained so I'm going to take a week to concentrate on sipping more each day

Sent from my Desire HD using LapBandTalk

I've got 12 days till I'm back to work so hoping this will be enough time. I run a cafe but don't have to do any lifting, just take money and orders. Will be dealing with the smells of food such as bacon butties though which will probably be the hardest bit!!

If my band date of Aug 6 gets approved by Anthem BCBS, I'm taking off Aug 6 to 10 and return to work on Aug 13. My boss is directing me to take the week off and doesn't want me to appear at work any earlier.

each person and there recovery time is and will be different. my advice is to listen to your body and follow your dr's instructions. i had surgery on a wed and planned on going back to work the following monday but ended up just taking the entire following week. i am glad i did. (worked from home on my pc) so that gave me piece of mind.

I was fired because although they were aware of the impending surgery they did not want to give me to time off.. I was still ob my 90day probation.. So I will jave plenty of recovery time.. I get banded tomorrow morning..

I was fired because although they were aware of the impending surgery they did not want to give me to time off.. I was still ob my 90day probation.. So I will jave plenty of recovery time.. I get banded tomorrow morning..

That doesn't seem right. is there anyone you can appeal to? I'm sorry for your job loss but hope it will be a good thing in the long run. Best of luck to you!