Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 Days Post Op! Need Suggestions

yeah slimfast isnt the best thing to drink especially right after surgery you def need something with less sugar and of higher quality. try premium Protein from costco i really liked that also sugar free Jello, sugar free pudding, sugar free mouse, roasted Tomato Soup from trader joes

The only reason I am using slim fast is because it was on my nutritionists recommended list for the full liquid stage. I have since started mixing in some cream of Soups, like potato & chicken, as those are surely helping my stomach (plus, nothing but slim fast upsets my stomach). I know they aren't exactly the best choice, but they really do help me in terms of this phase.

As for the jello/pudding/mousse & etc, I'm not supposed to have those in any form until soft food stages!

I'm two weeks post op. very moody and angry all the time. I think it's the lack of sugar. And i think im starving all the time, even thiugh my stomach does not agree Any suggestions.

My doctor recommended the Carnation Instant Breakfast, no sugar added, and it tastes a lot like slimfast. It is good. I add one c. of skim milk and 2 1/2 T of powdered non-fat milk for extra Protein. I found it at my local grocer in chocolate and on Amazon they have a variety pack of chocolate, strawberry and vanilla. I, too, am struggling. It isn't so much that I am hungry but I am feeling grossed out by most drinks/liquids right now and am having to force myself to get them down. I had some chicken broth for "dinner" and even that is not sitting well. I had my surgery last Wednesday, 7/27. I am hoping it will pass soon. Walking around the mall w/ my daughter helped take my mind off of it.

So far I have been drinking 4 slim fast (as recommended!) Meal Replacement shakes a day' date=' with a 25 calorie/no sugar added popsicle in between if my stomach starts hurting.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for what I could use instead of slim fast? I really do want a variety so I don't get bored/annoyed by having the same thing every day up until soft food stage. I used Optifast pre-op diet, so i'm staying away from that.[/quote']

I too am on the liquid stage, but its supposed to be Clear liquids for the first week, so only broth, sugar free Jello and sugar free ice pops (big differnce from no sugar added). Protein shakes, I was told, aren't supposed to be part of your diet til stage 2, and should be getting at that point 50-70 g of Protein a day. Muscle milk LIGHT and Isopure ZERO CARBs are the best Proteins for you that money can buy, hands down.

My dietician told me that during my first week post op if I was terribly hungry, I could have half an Isopure protein shake that's already been made in the bottle because its a clear liquid.

This may be different from what you were told but I'm almost certain that Protein Shakes aren't until stage 2, along with nonfat cottage cheese, non fat yogurts, thinned hot Cereal and sugar free pudding. Hope this helps.

GNC protien drinks are much better for you then some. 170 calories, not nearly as much sugar.

I too am on the liquid stage, but its supposed to be Clear liquids for the first week, so only broth, sugar free Jello and sugar free ice pops (big differnce from no sugar added). Protein shakes, I was told, aren't supposed to be part of your diet til stage 2, and should be getting at that point 50-70 g of Protein a day. Muscle milk LIGHT and Isopure ZERO CARBs are the best Proteins for you that money can buy, hands down.

My dietician told me that during my first week post op if I was terribly hungry, I could have half an Isopure Protein shake that's already been made in the bottle because its a clear liquid.

This may be different from what you were told but I'm almost certain that Protein Shakes aren't until stage 2, along with nonfat cottage cheese, non fat yogurts, thinned hot Cereal and sugar free pudding. Hope this helps.

Just doing as I was told! Clear Liquids for the first 3-4 days, full liquids day 4-14. Phase 2 soft foods; 2 weeks after 14th day post-op. and then normals two weeks after soft

i believe that Protein shakes are allowed on full liquids and i strongly recommend using them to help keep you full (and helps with hunger) and also help you get your Protein intake. i still drink one every morning to help with my protein (and because i am very tight in the a.m.)

all the best

yeah, i'm still using Protein shakes as my main source of 'food', right now. With the little thing I have going on right now, I have a Protein shake for Breakfast. I'll have a low cal/no sugar popsicle (or yogurt smoothie 'shot') for a snack if my stomach hurts. I'm doing creamy Soups for lunch (cream of potato/chicken - removing chunks) another popsicle or smoothie if needed in between lunch & dinner. and a Protein Shake for dinner.

I know I am not getting as much Proteins as they do want, but it is really what works best for me, and gets me through the day. I'm trying to get myself into the system I will be using once I am back on normal foods (minus the in-between snacks).

Hi All,

I am 8 days post-op and what I am discovering is that every dr.'s post-op diet is different. My post-op is 2weeks clear liquids, week3-4 full liquids, week 5 soft foods.

On day 5 I was miserable, I had terrible heartburn and it wouldn't go away. So after talking w/my dr.'s nurse, going to a support group meeting and looking on the lap band manufacturer's website, I made a decision. I ate a SF pudding. Viola, no more burning and I felt immediately better. No one told me it was OK and I felt terribly guilty about doing so, but I took the chance. I am still doing the clear liquids, but if I get that burning feeling I put it out w/the pudding.< /p>

For full liquids, which I can't wait to move on to! I have a variety of pureed Soups. My dr. said that there are things that I will be able to eat in the first 4 weeks post-op that I will not be able to eat after week 4. I am excited to try this corn and lemongrass Soup I found. Also, I have some leftover Opti-fast shakes and I will finish those off.

I think the fact that the clear liquid phase is so limited is why I am chomping at the bit to move on to full liquids. I might bring Soup to a new art form...variety is good!

Hope that you find a solution and good luck.

bibi