Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Read Me, I Need Success Stories.

Hello, my name is Polly. I've already introduced myself in the, well, "Introduce Yourself" thread, lol. (My Smiley's don't work) a while ago. But let me sum it up.

I'm 46, 5'4" and 323#'s. I was banded in 07, unfilled and free by mid 08. My highest weight was 362, but started right before surgery at 290 something. I've lived the past 5 years without a fill or medical attn. Eating like an obese person the whole time. I'm in therapy for mental and emotional issues, and one day a month ago, I decided to call my surgeon (clinic) and make an appt. I saw them 3 1/2 weeks ago and have been on the SoB diet. I've been doing real well and have lost 11#'s. With therapy on my food addiction as well as many other issues, I find I feel much different about following the SoB diet, as well as looking and feeling about life as something that I care for. I don't think I cared enough the first time around. I tried what I thought was my best (it wasn't) but gave up because I was failing my band and lifestyle. The two go hand in hand. I'm in a better place, the right place. The addiction to food as healer of all psychic wounds and victories is still there. I crave lots of things and feel like I'm going to go nuts sometimes, but I don't. Cravings will be with me Band or not. I go in to see my surgeon or his LPN, IDK, in a few days to assess the state of Polly.

I had to have both of my knees replaced within the last year because my weight coupled with osteoarthritis all but disintegrated the cartilage in my knees. People my age don't generally have knee replacements. In order to keep from getting two new knees before 15-20 years is up (the optomistic lifespan of the knee prosthetics), I HAVE to lose at least 150#'s, preferably 173#'s. The weight MUST come off. And sooner better than later.

Until yesterday, I was SERIOUSLY going to ask my doc for the Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy. VSG. I've been on the site (at the bottom of this page) for three weeks. I read it all. I wanted the VSG because I need to lose SO much so soon. But, after two ridiculously life depleteing surgeries and recovery, I can't do another major surgery like that. And the risks outweigh the benefits, for ME. It would be too much for me. Even my surgeons LPN suggessted the VSG. No doing, I'll try to make the band work with me this time.

Has anyone other than Mis73 (You're so cool!) achieved that amount of weight lose in a year to a year and a half? It's not a deal breaker or deal changer, but I need to lose alot in order to protect my knee's and help me walk normally again. Can it be done? I'll try anyway, but I'd LOVE to hear from someone who has lost this much on the Band. Just can't find you!

Oh I pray lots of people will reply to this, I need input badly.

:blink: Imagine my shock to see my name in this post LOL!

Just something to point out? It really doesn't matter which surgery you choose because in the end, it's always up to you to do the work. I very firmly believe I'd have had the same results no matter which surgery I chose.

Cazzy lost over 200 pounds in one year!!

This whole thread is people who've lost over 100 pounds!: http://www.lapbandtalk.com/topic/15875-who-has-lost-over-100-pounds/

I'm not the only one, I promise you. There are a lot of us, it just happens I'm during my journey so you see me around here more. But if you look at that thread of people who've lost over 100 pounds, that thing is over 60 pages long. That's a lot of people and most have met their goal and out enjoying their lives rather than posting here.

:)

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//IETF//DTD HTML 2.0//EN">

<HTML><HEAD>

<TITLE>400 Bad Request</TITLE>

</HEAD><BODY>

<H1>Bad Request</H1>

There was an error in your request.

<HR>

<I>(none)</I>

</BODY></HTML>

Well Hello Mis73! I like seeing you around here!

Yeah, you're so right about whatever surgery you chose, it's still up to you. And it is up to me, and I'm doing it, so far.

I was just wondering if anyone lost 100 pounds or more withing the first year and a half. Looking for more hope to add to the will I have now.

Wow, my topic window is SO messed up! Can't find Alex or anyone to help me. It works fine on LBT's sister board, VSG. Hm.

try going to the Success Stories (post op) page. That's where I go when I need serious motivation. Can it be done? Sure. It depends on what you give. I've never seen anyone be successful that didn't completely change their eating habits. For me, it is one "out" meal a week. I lived on fast food. Every day. I didn't even know HOW to cook chicken, I just bought a bag of the frozen stuff and popped it in the oven. I've learned a lot in my last year (lost 106 pounds safely) and still working on it. There's a fairy large blogger community out there. My page will link you to lots of them (pre ops and post ops). It has been a tremendous source of support for me. I posted my 1 year video on there earlier, so proud of myself. I have a family history of Osteoarthritis (mom is on third hip and first knee) and I saw myself going down that path as well.

Starting Weight: 315

Current Weight: 206

I have a question. What is the SOB diet?

:blink: Imagine my shock to see my name in this post LOL!

Just something to point out? It really doesn't matter which surgery you choose because in the end, it's always up to you to do the work. I very firmly believe I'd have had the same results no matter which surgery I chose.

Cazzy lost over 200 pounds in one year!!

This whole thread is people who've lost over 100 pounds!: http://www.lapbandta...ver-100-pounds/

I'm not the only one, I promise you. There are a lot of us, it just happens I'm during my journey so you see me around here more. But if you look at that thread of people who've lost over 100 pounds, that thing is over 60 pages long. That's a lot of people and most have met their goal and out enjoying their lives rather than posting here.

:)

mis73 def my hero

elcee,

The SoB diet is The South Beach Diet. I call it SoB for short. It is the diet required by my surgeon and nutritionist. My surgeon feels the diet fits his particular criteria for how and why to eat.

It originated in South Beach, Florida by the creator, such-and-such Agatston. :-) Je's a Cardiologist who felt the need to address the millions of people who eat all the wrong things. He suggessts high Protein, low sugar, lowering the "right" carbs and not eating the wrong ones, good fats, no white flour, sugar, etc. You can find it online at http://www.southbeachdiet.com , I think.

In 2 years I not only lost 160lbs, but I also had a baby. At 4 months post band, I got pregnant and it was a high risk pregnancy to boot. So no more exercising and no more weight loss for a year. But once he was here and I got the green light, back in the gym I got.

You can do it!!

In 2 years I not only lost 160lbs' date=' but I also had a baby. At 4 months post band, I got pregnant and it was a high risk pregnancy to boot. So no more exercising and no more weight loss for a year. But once he was here and I got the green light, back in the gym I got.

You can do it!![/quote']

If u get preg do they take ur band out

Nope, not at all. I had a slight unfill because I was having trouble getting food down. No complications with the band and being pregnant.

I am 51, in the middle of menopause & went the dr last August & weighed 258 (I'm 5'5"). Had surgery 9/7/11 & today weighed 163. I have followed all the instructions & taken Vitamins probably 90-95% of the time. I keep going in whether I need a fill or not. (My first year of aftercare was included).

I use my fitness pal & added a bunch of friends from here to have accountability & support. I have been & am in therapy. I'm on thyroid meds & antidepressants (have been for years). I keep healthy food around for running around (work & school).

You can choose to make it work for you. One step at a time. It seems fast on the other side. Just remember each time you eat you are making a long term choice. Will it be helpful to you or hurtful?

All the best!!!

Hi! I had the lap-band surgery 2 yrs. The 1st yr I lost 105 lbs. I've kept it off. I also stuggle w/ cravings everyday. You can lose the weight. It takes time. Believe in yourself.

I have lost 84 lbs in the past 8 months, so I definitely think it is possible...you definitely have to work hard and watch what you eat.

Ooh, I'm so happy I got all of your responses! And I'm happier to hear the success stories you've made for yourselves. I'm happy to see anyone succeed, with big or small successes. You can't take them for granted.

It's good to see that with changing your lifestyle, eating patterns and what, when, where, and why you eat...that it brings such success. I'm relieved to know that I don't have to go the VSG route to lose a large amount of weight. Relieved! I'm just wondering, once I get filled and restart this process, just how *much* exercise I'm going to have to do to lose weight. I don't mind pushing myself, just don't know to what point. To be successful, you have to tackle this at all levels, right? Well, time will tell.

Thanks again for giving me proof that you *can* lose over 100 pounds!