Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm being banded on July 27th. Today was my second day of pre op Protein. I feel totally full and satisfied with the protein and I'm very surprised that I'm not hungry and obcessing about not being able to eat. Of course, it's only the second day.

What I'm noticing on here is that there are definitely two camps of Lap Banders. Some of you sound very upbeat and determined to follow the program and make this work. You seem to be losing weight, not at a fast rate, but steadily. Which is what I want to do, after all I didn't get fat in a month and don't expect to lose it that fast.

The second camp seems discouraged and even wishing that they had never had the surgery. I am feeling a bit worried. I don't want to make a mistake, but I really need this to work for me.

I decided on the Lap Band after doing a lot of research. I was very uncomfortable with having either the sleeve or bypass because it just seemed very invasive and I didn't like the thought of actually changing the anatomy of my stomache or digestive system. I'm not saying it's not the right decision for others but I felt that it was not right for me.

I am totally committed to following the rules, before and after surgery and taking things very slow as I progress through my dietary restrictions: Clear Liquids, full liquids, puree and soft. I'm reading all that I can and I have purchased the bullet processing machine and I'm practicing pureeing foods and freezing some things in ice cube trays for after surgery.\

I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance. I know it's not an easy fix and I'm praying that I have an easy post op with no complications.

Good luck everyone.

well you're being banded on my birthday, so im sending you lots of luck ! I did my research too and feel the same way you did, slow but sure weight loss, non invasive, and follow the rules 95 % of the time. The results ?? i was banded Dec 13th, 2011, and as of today ive lost 45 lbs, and hope to hit 50 lbs by my bday. I have a 7th fill coming up next week, i try to make good food choices, and i exercise 3x a week. So yes, im thrilled with my weight loss and would do it again in a heartbeat.!!! Daily life just gets better and better, i ve gone from a heavy 225 lbs, size 18-1x to a slim size 14, i get compliments almost daily, i feel great knowing that im going to continue to succeed and reach my goal of 140 ! SO GO FOR IT !!! GOOD LUCK !!!

Thank you. That is awesome! I would be thrilled to get down to a size 14. I'm hoping this time next year I will be in a much better place. My knees are so bad I can't walk long distances at all anymore. I love to go to flea markets and fairs and the like but just can't cope with the walking. I know the weigh loss will help me tremendously.

I'm sure you will meet your goal. You are doing great.

I was banded may of 2011 and I have a love hate relationship with my band..I started as a size 18/20 and my goal was a 12...made that in 11 months..so new goal is 10 by my bday..feel free to check out my video blog on you tube...jennypoo6043 is my name on there...I think most people tend to speak a lot on more negative things with the band..but I see both sides of the coin..but if given the chance I would do it again..just sooner..lol

Hi I am also being banded on July 27th, am following a 1000 cal Pre op diet till 20th July then liquid diet for 7 days before ... Good luck, would love to know how you get on and to stay in touch. I have exactly 101 lbs to lose to get to just within healthy bmi but am aiming for 110lb... I know it will take a long time and I am prepared for the changes in eating, am scared of the emotional side moreso ... Good luck and keep in touch :)

well, stick with the camp that works for you

you are the one who has to do this and you seem to be doing wonderful.

keep that positive attitude and dont worry about the (other stuff-am i making a mistake, what if this, what if that, how comes, am i sure)

all the best. it will be here before you know it :)

Banded 8/10 no regrets! My biggest reason for getting banded is that only about 5 % who lose large amounts of weight without WLS keep if off long term. Those are terrible odds. Could the fact that I Iost 100 pounds preop have affected my speed of loss post op possibly. There are those who will say my 70 lbs lost is a disappointment. Do I wish I have lost more? Sure. But I do eat very conservatively and do 1.5-2.5 hrs of cardio 7 days a week. Not sure what more I could do.

Knock on wood no PB episodes, and very limited stuck episodes. Took 6 month to get restriction wish that had been faster. I do plan my meals more now; but I still am not much of a cook (Roasted chicken from costco is my best friend). Buying and keeping a Protein Bar in the car; so that you aren't forced to eat a hamburger for lunch is not that much of a trial.

For me the point of the band is not regaining the weight. So far I have been watching my food and exercising now since 10/08. This is the longest that I've stuck with a healthy life style.

The most important thing with the band is working with it not against. The band will never stop you from eating ice cream, candy or even crackers. Anything that will melt in your mouth will go right through the band. Once healed make sure you are eating solid Protein, veggies and gasp even fruit. Solid foods give you satiation.

The most important thing with the band is working with it not against. The band will never stop you from eating ice cream, candy or even crackers. Anything that will melt in your mouth will go right through the band. Once healed make sure you are eating solid Protein, veggies and gasp even fruit. Solid foods give you satiation.*

honk you are so right on

Thank for the advice everyone. I'm definitely going through with my surgery. I'm feeling very confident that this will work for me. I'm on day 3 of pre op Protein and finding it easy going so far. It really keeps me feeling full. So far today, 3:30pm, I've had two Protein Drinks and a cucumber and I'm not even thinking about eating. I even went grocery shopping today. Had to buy some food for hubby and my precious pups. My mouth watered a little when I walked by the bakery but I walked on by, got just what was on my list and headed home. Still early in the game for me. I can usually stick to a diet for two weeks and then usually fall off the wagon. Not this time though. I know my Band will be there to help me by then.

Congratulations to all. Very positive attitude is needed to achieve our healthy goals. I can hardly wait for the band date, Aug 6. I'm so ready and bring it on!

I like your attitude about all of this. I see the band as being a tool to help me lose my excess weight and get back to a healthy place for me. Quite a few people I've talked to see it as being a method of "cheating" or an easy way out, but looking at these boards and reading the pros and the cons of the surgery, noting the lifestyle changes required and the commitment needed, it's definitely not the easy way or cheating!

I have a friend of the family who had the band and now that she's heard I'm getting it is totally against it. She had it done 3 or 4 years ago, but had it completely unfilled because she couldn't get any breads or pastas down, and "could barely eat anything." She determinedly did not follow the rules, and thought that it would just magically cure it all, so now she's touting the failure of the band, not of her choices to make it work.

I'm set to be banded on the 21st of August (I can't stop talking about it I'm so excited lol), and I'm already incorporating more of the changes I need to make into my diet (weight watchers helped me revamp quite a bit, but it wasn't enough to really make a dent in my weight). So, you're doing great, you have the right attitude, and based on what I've seen on the boards thus far of post-op stories, that's the biggest part of success :)

I feel so inspired reading some of your posts. Thank you!

I have decided to have the surgery about few weeks ago. (I found out that Kaiser covers it with a $400 copay)

Going to my 1st class Aug. 15th.

Every day since I made my original decision I have had doubts : "Is it really for me?"

Finding this site & reading posts is really helping me.

I need to loose about 80-100 lbs which I have gained within the past 7-10 years.

I have tried many diferent diets but none of them stick. I did start regular excercise which is great! It gives me energy, however it doesnt help me much in weight loss.... it just keeps me from gaining more.

I am 38 & I need to make a change.

II need to loose about 80-100 lbs which I have gained within the past 7-10 years.

I have tried many diferent diets but none of them stick. I did start regular excercise which is great! It gives me energy, however it doesnt help me much in weight loss.... it just keeps me from gaining more.

I'm in the same exact boat - reading that was like reading a bit of my own biography, lol. Good luck on your journey from here on! It's going to be a life change, for sure. I'm totally ready to adapt myself, and it sounds like you are, too! Keep us posted on your date. These boards are seriously awesome for any information you might need.

Take care!

There are pros and cons to every procedure. You'll have people tell you that you definietly SHOULDNT get this surgery, then you'll have people like me and my four family members that say it's the best thing that's ever happened to them!

Here's my thought....the band is a TOOL. The operator, which is you, is the only thing that will make it successful. Yes, in the beginning you may lose lots of weight, but anyone would if they decreased their calorie intake by half or more. The real challenge is after you've lost a good amount of weight and your body requires less and less intake and more and more output. That's where most people struggle.

To get through that isn't easy, because of course, we are all bandsters and have the mindset of the larger person we used to be...however, it can be done.

Some people decide to get tighter and tighter to the point where they may not hardly be eating anything or may be drinking most of their meals. I, for one, do not agree with this method, because a lot of time it back fires and because you're not getting the caloric intake, you actually don't lose weight and sometimes even gain weight. And, if you do try to eat with such a tight band and end up PBing more it can cause long term problems with your esophagus.

I chose the traditional (and I feel most healthy) way to work with my band. I have pretty good restriction, but also can eat "normal". I say normal like that because, normal to me is about half of someone elses meal. But I can still eat. For instance, I have a cup of coffee for Breakfast, then two peices of toast. For lunch I have a salad, for dinner I have veggies and some sort of boca product or fish and have 100 cal Snacks usually around 10 and 2/3. Small meals through out the day. Weren't we all told this during our struggle of trying to lose weight pre-lapband, but could never do it because we always felt hungry? Well, now I can do it because I don't feel hungry. I feel satisified through out the day.

So anyways, my point to that long story was this.....yes, there will be negative nancy's and firm believers....but I believe the negative nancy's will be the ones that are not using the band properly as a tool in their weight loss and/or may have other medical issues that is preventing it from working.

thank you!

Good luck to you too..... less than a month left! Yeyyyy

I will definitely follow your progress :)

I love positive people.... just makes everything better