Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

In Case Of Emergency ..fill Band

So I'm trying NOT to use my band.I keep reading a lot about people keep getting filled and filled and filled no restriction.then unfilled cuz they are vommiting.I started preop on 3/23/12 banded 4/6/12.I had one fill and have refused the next 2.I have lost 43 lbs so far.

I am basically dieting with very little restriction.But feel like I want to "SAVE the band" until I can't do it any more on my own.but I think my resistance is starting to run out.

I get hungry about every 2-3 hours and I eat about a cup of food.I am not hungry after a cup but I I'm not full.I could probably eat more but I don't .I actually like where I am but starting to get hungrier now.I don't want to get a fill if I don't have to but I will not suffer through hunger.I was thinking to try the 5 day pouch test and if that doesn't work I would have to Reluctantly get a fill.:-(. Has anybody else been " saving the band for a rainy day?")

WOW I could have written that! That is my plan also. I am going to try to do this with "as little" restriction as possible. I am so afraid of damaging it by being too tight, vomiting, or stretching my pouch.

I understand where you're coming from and I respect your desire to make the most of your band. Yet I can't help thinking that you're really not making the most of your band. You read all the time that the band is a tool. It seems to me that a tool is most useful when it's being used. Obviously what you've been doing so far has worked for you--congrats on your lovely weight loss so far! Your self-control (eating just a cup of food and then stopping) is amazing! It might be time for a little fill though if you're getting hungry. Or maybe you just need a little snack between meals? If money isn't an issue (when isn't it?! Haha!), getting a little fill and then getting a little unfill if that's too much is always an option as you try to find the "green zone". I agree that you shouldn't suffer with hunger--we all know how that doesn't work! Your comment about "saving the band" reminds me of my grandmother's

"saving" the good. china. Life is for the living; if what you're doing feels like Living, then you're on the right path. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using LapBandTalk

It's obvious that what you're doing is working for you. However, for me, not filling my band would be like driving a nail, but not using the hammer that is sitting right beside me. But that's just me, if I have it, I use it. Kind of like the fine china that Willowcat referred to, when I drink wine I use my Waterford hocks, even if there's no company and just I'm sitting around in shorts and a t-shirt. If I've got it, I'm going to use it and enjoy it!

I love B-52's quote "Without restriction, it's just another diet."

I understand where you are coming from too... but why have surgery then? You are basically on a diet right now. Kudos to you for your weight loss so far!! But what happens when you lose momentum? Start gaining? Will you use your band then?

Don't be afraid to use your band because of stories of people being too tight and vomitting. Or stories of people abusing their bands. Make a conscious decision to keep your band loser then. But use it!!! Don't struggle anymore than you have to!!

The last few months before I had my hernia fixed I kept my band on the loose side out of necessity. I had to work a teensy bit harder... but it helped control over eating, kept me full longer, and I only PB'd once in that timeframe because I stupidly took too big of a bite and didn't chew it well enough. I do better with my band a little loose. I can get in healthy foods in moderation. I lost 25 pounds after having been gaining or stalled for quite awhile.

As long as you stay aware and stay conservative... you can use your band and avoid tightness, PB'ing, etc. Unfortunately some people want the band to do all the work... and that is when some issues can pop up. They cinch it tighter and tighter and then are surprised when they have problems.

It sounds like you area making smart food choices... wouldn't it be nice to keep doing the same and not get hungry between meals? That is what a properly filled band should do for you.

I say use your tool. I don't think you can "save" it by just letting it sit there.

Wow I guess I never thought of saving the band...I am really concentrating on eating smaller portions and exercising to get weight down until August 1, my next fill. I'm at 5.5cc and this feels like it could be a potential fill that could work for me or be quite restricted. So in the meantime I just work harder. I am trying to learn for life the right way to eat but it's tuff that's why I'm here.

weight.png

I like what everyone else has stated. Sounds like you have amazing will power but also sounds like you could really use this tool - so don't be afraid to do so. Just because we've all heard horror stories, doesn't mean WE have to live one. My dr. told me just yesterday that everyone expects to throw up with the band but you don't have to - (I was worried because I hadn't yet). You can be the success story you want to be (sounds like you already are)! Best of luck in whatever you decide.

I was told that to be in the green zone you should be full for 3-4 hours after eating. Congrats on how well you have done but at this point you may want to consider a fill so you can stay fuller longer.

Thank you everyone ! Just to clarify,since doing preop and post op liquid diets, I felt like my stomach shrank a lot on it's on.when I got banded I could barely eat a 1/2 cup of food with no fills.I only got my first fill not because i needed it but to see what the difference would be.I am just now over the last 2 weeks really starting to be hungry so I have not been white knuckling it this whole time.like I said I'm not going to be hungry. I was thinking is it a fill I need or have I stretched something.Because I do have the " save it till I need it" mentality. I was wanting to know if a fill is really what I need.but I really don't want to get an uneccesary fill if its actually a stretched pouch or something .and yes I am a bit afraid of becoming a fill addict.:-)

Also one thing to remember about Lap Band/WLS boards of any kind, when people have issues with their band they are going to discuss it here. Slippage, erosion, stretched pouch etc. are far from the norm of this procedure, but people that are experiencing it are going to discuss it, it's human nature in my opinion.

You probably haven't stretched anything, you've just healed from surgery, and the swelling has gone down. And, as you lose weight, the fat pad around the stomach shrinks, and the band gets looser. I bet a small fill would put you back to where you were before, restriction-wise.

Also, as someone who has been getting fills as recommended by my doctor, I find the term 'fill addict' slightly offensive.

You probably haven't stretched anything' date=' you've just healed from surgery, and the swelling has gone down. And, as you lose weight, the fat pad around the stomach shrinks, and the band gets looser. I bet a small fill would put you back to where you were before, restriction-wise.

Also, as someone who has been getting fills as recommended by my doctor, I find the term 'fill addict' slightly offensive.[/quote']

Thank you ! I think you are right about losing fat in that area.I didn't mean to offend anyone but like Sairy said u hear the worst stories here and there is a lot of" over fill vommiting for 3 weeks before i seek help or advice." stories here where people don't seem to be trying to work with their band.Also my dr was telling me he had a some patients like that (fill fill fill )and he was proud that i wasn't like that.but he also said some of the same stuff u all said ,I may lose fat,don't hesitate if I feel I need a small fill.etc. I was just wondering if anyone else was in my position.