Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Forgot What I'm Supposed To Eat...#carbs, #fat, #protein. What Are You Eating?

What are you allowed to eat in terms of:

Calories?

Fat?

Protein?

Carbs?

I'm 2.5 weeks post-op and allowed to eat soft foods (tuna, Beans, bananas, eggs, etc.

But I forgot what amounts I'm supposed to consume.

I have been tracking my foods on My Fitness Pal and I love it, but I don't think the amounts are correct on this ap (at least not correct for my banded lifestyle).

I basically made up what I think I remember my doctor telling me, and I will ask him when I see him in 2 weeks, but for now I've been eating

1. 1200 calories or less
  2. Under 40 grams of fat
  3. Under 100 carbs
  4. About 60 grams of protein

But am I doing it right?

I'm not loosing or gaining weight.

I was just cleared to exercise and started today, I hope that will get things moving.

Just wondering, what are you eating in those 4 areas?

...and what about veggies?

Preop I had to go on 2 Protein Shakes a day plus some non starchy veg for dinner and that was it.

I'm assuming that you mean POST-op? In that case, don't be worrying about weight loss 2 weeks out. Your body is still healing from surgery.

100 carbs is more than I eat. I don't necessarily track them religiously, but I've cut out all bread, rice, pastas, etc. I don't track anything really, I just kind of ballpark it. I'm around 80g Protein and probably 900-1000 calories.

I don't drive myself nuts by counting everything. I just eat when I'm hungry, 2-3ounces of Protein and then veggies if I have room.

No processed food, artificial sweeteners, or anything like that. Just all natural, wholesome, clean food.< /p>

I would up that Protein amount and definelty lower the carbs you are listing. Did you have the surgery for 50 lbs? Wow. Didn't your DR.'s office give you this information when you left the office.?

You might want to purchase a book that will give you both crbs and Protein amounts from food.

Stay away from High carb bread. all bread and white flour foods.

You should follow your own doctors orders. Speak to his/her nutritionist/dietician. Here's a link to another clinic's patient manual. Your doctor's manual may be different.

http://www.peachtreebariatrics.com/docs/Gastric-Band-Patient-Manual.pdf

tmf

My doctor did not give any amounts post op other than 8oz by volume of liquids (broth or Tomato soup) and 3 oz of Protein cottage/ricotta cheese, canned chicken or tuna. My doctor was not that hip on mashed potato. I am two years out and only eat processed carbs on occation. I don't keep crackers, chips, cookie, candy, cake, bread, or Pasta in the house. I also don't eat red meat, rice or potato on a regular basis. I save these things for dinner parties etc so they really are a big treat.

To: Tomuchfun: YOU were so kind to send that booklet. I printed it up and hope others will do the same. Hugs.

Wait and talk to your doctor, or better yet make an appointment with a nutritionist. As you can clearly see, everyone here is told something different so you need to find out what your doctor specifically recommends.

A good example- someone here said you had to lower your carbs a lot. But, I eat more carbs than you listed here, no more than 125g per day. This is per my nutritionist, I follow her instructions religiously and have lot rather a lot of weight. So not everyone needs or even does well on low carbs.

Talk to your doc.

Thanks, TMF, the manual was helpful. Of course I will chat with my doctor, but I won't see him for over a week and I've discovered that this whole thing isn't an exact science anyway. Just wanted to get the gist of things until I see doc again. The replies here are helpful. Thank you.

There are a few things I read in the manual and I've also read this information other places, but I'm wondering if any one knows why:

1. Avoid time release or extended release forms of medications
  2. No NSAIDS, example: Aspirin, Ibuprofen, Advil, Motrin, unless approved on individual basis
  3. DO NOT EAT/DRINK at the same time. Stop drinking 30 minutes prior to eating and wait 30 minutes after eating to resume drinking
  4. Avoid fibrous vegetables (raw cabbage, raw carrots, celery, asparagus, lettuce)
  5. No seeds, nuts
  6. Avoid skins of fruits and veggies

Hi Cindy's Mom,

Did you have the surgery for 50 lbs? Wow.

50 pounds is my personal, realistic goal, for right now. Losing 50 pounds won't put me in the "perfect" weight category, but it is my personal goal. But, why would it matter if I had the surgery for 50 or 150 pounds?

Thanks, TMF, the manual was helpful. Of course I will chat with my doctor, but I won't see him for over a week and I've discovered that this whole thing isn't an exact science anyway. Just wanted to get the gist of things until I see doc again. The replies here are helpful. Thank you.

There are a few things I read in the manual and I've also read this information other places, but I'm wondering if any one knows why:

1. Avoid time release or extended release forms of medications.....If they don't pass through the stoma they can rest against the side of your stomach and could cause an ulcer.
  2. No NSAIDS, example: Aspirin, Ibuprofen, Advil, Motrin, unless approved on individual basis, Ditto for ulcers and possibly causing an erosion.
  3. DO NOT EAT/DRINK at the same time. Stop drinking 30 minutes prior to eating and wait 30 minutes after eating to resume drinking....Water dilutes the food in your pouch allowing it to pass through too easily. You never will get that full feeling. It allows you to eat too much.
  4. Avoid fibrous vegetables (raw cabbage, raw carrots, celery, asparagus, lettuce). Could cause you to get stuck. For some, they don't pass through the stoma.
  5. No seeds, nuts..I don't know about this one. I eat both.
  6. Avoid skins of fruits and veggies...Can also cause blockage of the stoma causing an episode of stuck.

Hi Cindy's Mom,

50 pounds is my personal, realistic goal, for right now. Losing 50 pounds won't put me in the "perfect" weight category, but it is my personal goal. But, why would it matter if I had the surgery for 50 or 150 pounds?

My two goals were 50 and then 25 more. I get it. I told myself that if this band can get me down to 175, it will have been worth it. I'm 8 lbs away from my first goal.

tmf

Thanks, TMF. That was helpful. I'm dying w/o Advil, and Tylenol just does not cut it. I have back troubles and it's really bad w/o Advil. I do take one extended release medication, but it's tiny and I think it will pass through (smaller than a half of a pea. I've eaten some of those raw foods and fruit w/skin and didn't get stuck, but I have a feeling that will change when I get my first fill. Right now, w/o a fill, I do have some restriction and have gotten stuck on tuna that was too dry, but after first fill I will have to learn all over what I can tolerate.

I too do not respond to Tylenol. Cindy's Mom pointed out to me that I shouldn't be using ibuprofen so I checked with my doc and dietician. Nope, can't use it.

Sounds like you know what to expect. That's half the battle, knowing what to expect.

tmf

MomOf3InOC:

I am sorry if I offended you. It was not my intention...It just seem a bit low. I hope you will forgive me. Best of luck..Keep up the good work. Ilene